Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #865
All Star

cubsfan203's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by therockstar2005
cubsfan, this is for you too.

I started with everything automated to the CPU, just so y'all know. At the All Star Break things are looking like this:

Top 8 in AL: Tigers (54-34), Yankees (54-37), Red Sox (52-36), Indians (48-41), Rangers (44-44), Twins (44-45), Rays (44-46), Mariners (42-46)

Top 8 in NL: Marlins (54-36), Reds (50-38), Cubs (49-39), Dodgers (48-39), Padres (48-40), Phillies (48-40), Astros (46-43), Cards (47-45)

There are some notable injuries, but not a whole lot of them. Matt Holliday, Rick Ankiel, Vernon Wells, Luke Scott, Justin Duchscherer are some notable ones.

Trades seem to be of a balanced variety, some a bit strange. A few notables to me:
-WAS - Daniel Cabrera for DET - Jeremy Bonderman
-HOU - Carlos Lee, Roy Oswalt, Wandy Rodriguez for PHI - Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, Jake Rust (OK, this one is a bit farfetched, though I could argue it's at least somewhat balanced)
-CHI - Jeff Samardzija for SD - Kevin Kouzmanoff
-ANA - Vlad Guerroro for TEX - Ian Kinsler (again, not real sure)
-COL - Franklin Morales for NYY - Chien-Ming Wang (???)

Otherwise, trades were mostly minor league players, or I didn't recognize. And, my opinion, while these seem somewhat odd, specifically the HOU and PHI one, at least they're trading superstar for superstar, I can remember other games where real boneheaded trades would take place. (Oh MLB Power Pros, how I miss thee)

Stat wise, things I'm noticing:
-Highest AVG is really high ("Daniel Murphy" of the Mets hitting .394, but only after 64 games, Jeter is next at .361, Bay at .358)
-HR numbers look pretty good (tops are 23 for Jason Kubel and Carlos Pena, Brandon Inge has 22, Carlos Lee has 21, Ryan Howard and bunch of others w/ 20)
-RBIs seem good, too (highest is 77 for Texeira) as well as steals (Willy Taveras w/ 35, Carl Crawford w/ 34, BJ Upton w/33)
-ERA seems to be pretty good (5 below 3) along with W-L records; highest K is at 132 (Peavy), the 129 (Harang)
-Walks might be a bit low (Volquez has most at 67 with Burnett)
-Saves might be low (Chris Perez has the most at 16...I'm not joking)

Ok, I think that's enough for the All Star break, will finish simming and report the rest.
Thanks a lot man. That's exactly what I was afraid of with the trades. The only big gripe I had about the last 2k game I played (2k7) was there being too many off the wall trades. I think a game really needs to add something about the likelyhood of players getting traded. The stats looked decent.

I think I'll hold out a bit and wait and see if a patch comes out, but I'll probably wind up picking this up just because I want to play some baseball.

Coaching Career of Chris Matthews (CH2k8)
The Legend of Ocho Ocho
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #866
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Day games go from full sunny to afternoon where there's shadows creeping in.

Afternoon will start with shadows on the field, they will creep across and then the game will turn into night. Like 3 stages of night.

Night is just night.

Looks really good in action.
Thanks EG. So in franchise games, 7:05 games (or whatever) are set to the night option?

If so, that's a slight bummer that I hope they address for 2K10.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #867
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Thanks EG. So in franchise games, 7:05 games (or whatever) are set to the night option?

If so, that's a slight bummer that I hope they address for 2K10.
Yes, it's a bummer, but the afternoon games look fantastic. Yes, they change every half inning, but it just looks so cool as it goes on. The day to afternoon is my favorite as you see the shadows creep across the crowd then onto the field.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 03-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #868
MLB
Rookie

OVR: 5

I have a question I believe one of you guys may be able to accurately answer. I've been playin' the PC demo and I notice no grounders make it through the infield for a base hit.. Is it the same in the retail version ?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #869
Rookie

OVR: 2

Well, it's just crap . . . Sorry, this game is broken in so many ways, and I am one of the suckers who bought it thinking things would br improved from the demo. 2K should be ashamed. Play with sliders all day long - your not going to fix this one . . . When's Madden come out?

Ohio State Buckeyes
Kansas City Chiefs
Los Angeles Lakers
Cincinnati Reds

"Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice." - Ted Knight (Judge Smails) in Caddyshack.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #870
MVP

teambayern's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcquillian
...and I am one of the suckers who bought it thinking things would br improved from the demo. . . . When's Madden come out?
don't make the same mistake twice
Old 03-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #871

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Yes, it's a bummer, but the afternoon games look fantastic. Yes, they change every half inning, but it just looks so cool as it goes on. The day to afternoon is my favorite as you see the shadows creep across the crowd then onto the field.
You still liking the game? I have it installing to the HDD right now!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #872

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

I gotta say that hearing "The Final Countdown" in the menus is worth the price of admission alone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »