Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #921
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

I don't know if anyone else has talked about this but something minor that I miss from last year was the 100 prospects list. Even though the names wer changed it was a simple edit that could be done as they usually pulled their Top 100 list from sites like ESPN. Also you can hardly find any organizations top prospects and it is a pain to create all of them on your own. I don't know about anyone else but I always enjoy bringing my prospects up through the minors and sometimes calling them up near the end of the season to get some MLB experience. It is just something that gets to me because most of them are missing and even the ones that have alter eago names are created incorrectly (white player being black or hispanic. Andrew McCutcheon of the Pirates who is black with dreadlocks is a doofy white guy in the game. Makes no sense.

Is anyone creating a roster file that will include most of team's big name prospects (something like the top 5 prospects in each otganiztion)? I am going to try and work on it myself this weekend but if anyone is already doing it let me know because I would liek to help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #922
MVP

OVR: 13

So far, I really enjoy 2K9. I think some of the anger about the game faults are due to the fact that the game itself is breathtakingly close to being excellent.

If the CPU took more pitches, there was no editing limit for players and the first baseman's foot never came off the bag, people whould be thrilled.

BTW, the foot came off the bag for me once in 4 games. It was scored as an error, so it is most certainly tied to the throwing meter.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #923
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Yes, it's not perfect, it has issues, but it's damn fun. I feel how I do with NBA Live, in reality, Live is atrocious. But it's a fun game to play. I did eventually go back to 2K9, but after 5 months, so if MLB can do me 5 months, I'll be thrilled.
Yeah the game is fun. For me though all the screen stuff takes away from the atmosphere as it's constanlty screaming Video game.
However, if the AI swinging issue is fixed that will go a long way towards me playing it more often.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
Old 03-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #924
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
I've never seen the first base thing either, but I always use the right stick to throw to the bases. I've played about 7 full games.
Same. The AI aggression is my only issue.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #925
Banned

OVR: 23

after several games, I've come to the conclusion that this game is so broken. I've tried all difficulty levels and sliders and it's just not balanced correctly. It's not just the AI aggressiveness either. If it's not one thing it's another. good luck trying to get this game balanced with sliders. this is honestly the last 2k game i think about buying(luckily i rented it first this time) unless i hear a conclusive difference.

Last edited by kGinGreen; 03-05-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #926
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Popped in MLB2K9 and here is my impressions thus far:

I selected the 4 teams I would otherwise be controlling for my "real" chise, and simmed through a season stopping at the end of each month to view injuries/trades.

Didn't see many pitchers injured as I would've liked. At any given point there weren't but 2 or 3 on the DL, and over half of the ML teams were w/o a single player on the DL.

However, the injuries I did see to some pitchers were significant. For instance, Ian Snell was out for the year w/ a torn rotator cuff - that's great 2K, now if you could just extrapolate that to happen w/ more regularity we would be on track for more realism.

Tested the toggle for CPU trades ON/OFF. W/ this setting left ON to start a chise, trades of course occurred, and although they weren't at the fierce rate of past 2K titles there were still a lot. It seemed to follow a trend too...like April there was one CPU trade, May 3 or 4, June 5 or 6, and up to July where there were 7 - one being Juan Pierre for Tim Hudson straight up - yea great trade AI.

Question to the devs: If you're building a game from the ground up, how come it still suffers from issues of past MLB 2K titles?

Which leads me to the whole ability to toggle ON/OFF trades throughout the season. It doesn't work, and never HAS WORKED in any 2K title I've bought next-gen.

VC, I (and probably many others) would like the ability to start the season w/ it off, and turn it on every now again.

Like the way we can w/ NBA 2K....

Sim stats got better in some areas (K's, ERA), but worse in others (SV, HRs). In a year where K-Rod just set a new record you'd think there'd be some focus to emphasize that saves is accurate.

However, BJ Ryan lead the league w/ freakin 27 saves .

K's were done right, and Peavy led the way w/ 216 - there were your other typical 200K pitchers in the 200's too.

HRs is hit and miss. For instance, Ryan Howard's HR total was too low (35), but Berkman's was about right (38). A-Rod had 40 and was the only player in the league w/ that many. Adam Dunn hit 33. These totals are really low for the big boopers who don't hit for avg.; could be tied into the way the CPU hits I don't know.

NO SEASON GOALS FOR THOSE WONDERING. Matter of fact I don't think you can even get fired. Still need to confirm for myself if you have a staff you can hire/fire, but I don't remember seeing anything in the GM menu.

I also tested out controlling 30 teams, w/ CPU Trades ON, and under Team Management giving the CPU authority to handle trade requests/offers.

Never was there a single trade. If you control all 30 teams the only way you'll get a trade to happen is if you intiate it, and furthermore when you head into the offseason you'll have to do ALL the resigning yourself as I left it up to the CPU and countless 80 and above FAs hit the open market; this is w/ the patch in case you're wondering.

Summary: Controlling all 30 teams is like having another full-time job, not worth it. So either control the teams you would actually use, and live w/ CPU trades being ON (and the bonehead move here or there), or control all 30 teams or however many you want, leave CPU trades ON, and lthus essen the amount of teams the CPU can trade amongst.

All in all its like babysitting the freaking game, and it detracts from actually progressing through - if you're someone who likes to maintain a certain level of integrity like me, you then have to monitor the CPU trades and reload the game should there be one that is just horrible/illogical.

Through this simmed season progression/regression has been improved upon, given past versions. The new free agent signing is nice too!

In case you're wondering the Dodgers beat the Angels 4-1 to win the WS.

On to my one played game...I'm using BigFnJoes V.2 sliders.

So yea...like everyone else, the cpu hacking, although toned down in the sliders I'm using, is still an issue. Its virtually impossible to get a swing and miss on a fastball, whereas a curve is TOO EASY. Using Cole Hamels I could only get a swing and miss on my change up when I place the pitch at the bottom of the strike zone - at which point it dropped out the zone and the batter swung and missed.

You can place a curve virtually anywhere and get a swing and miss. Furthermore, not knowing how I did on my gesture is horrible. I don't know how effective my pitch just was, or if I'm even doing the motion correctly...why take that out 2K?

I could sometimes work the count on the CPU pitcher, but I never was able to get a walk. I had to up the power on the sliders too. Because for me I was only getting lineshots to the OF resulting in single after single. Didn't get a XBH, and much to my dismay Ryan Howard had two opposite field hits . Plus the CPU never went into a shift, and anyone who knows how opposing teams defend Howard, they shift to the first base side on virtually every AB of his.

Not seeing the shift on Howard, AND seeing Howard go opposite field for two singles in one game was a BIG thumbs down.

The fade to black after an inning was a nice touch, and the presentation/commentary in this game is awesome!

All in all, if there is another patch to address the gameplay issues we have, and to give us full editing control I can see myself getting my money's worth. Right now 2K owes me some money though, and that is in the form of a patch.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #927
Rookie

OVR: 4

Dumb question. If you are controlling all 30 teams how did you expect the CPU to initiate trades. That toggle on/off is for the CPU to send you trades and trade for itself.

If you are controlling every team how would the CPU be able to start a trade?
Old 03-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #928
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by belljr
Dumb question. If you are controlling all 30 teams how did you expect the CPU to initiate trades. That toggle on/off is for the CPU to send you trades and trade for itself.

If you are controlling every team how would the CPU be able to start a trade?
Maybe I misinterpretted the meaning of it, I thought that w/ that item unchecked, regardless if I controlled the team or not, the teams would field trade offers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »