Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #937
MVP

LanteriX's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by kGinGreen
graphics 7
sound 7
gameplay 5
replay factor 3

Ive played it 5 or 6 times and already completely done with it. The only thing where this game might have some use is online. At least online play was smooth as silk the game i played. It gets about a 6.5 from me overall. It looks pretty good, it plays like crap. If mlb 2k9 were a woman it would be such a disapointment.
So, it's the hot chick that ****s like a dead fish then?

Nice.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #938
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Living Legend
A small complaint and i am sure this has been said before, but 1:00 games end at Pitch black? WTF?
I thought I asked this earlier and someone said it ends regularly.

Sadly, something like this would not fly with me. This game has plenty of reasons for me not to purchase it, but this is one of those "takes the cake" things.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #939
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

I give this game a 5.5

Just a tad bit better then last year, but still far behind The Show series. This really does look like a 2nd phase beta version
Old 03-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #940
Rookie

Simp's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kGinGreen
graphics 7
sound 7
gameplay 5
replay factor 3

Ive played it 5 or 6 times and already completely done with it. The only thing where this game might have some use is online. At least online play was smooth as silk the game i played. It gets about a 6.5 from me overall. It looks pretty good, it plays like crap. If mlb 2k9 were a woman it would be such a disapointment.
Haha.

I've played this for a few days now. Add me to the "disappointed" camp.

I was hoping the gameplay would grow on me this year but I can already tell it won't. It just leaves such a bad taste in my mouth while I'm playing.

I played 2k7, and disliked the gameplay of that one as well. I skipped out on 2k8 (luckily) and was hoping this year would get me back into a good baseball game.

The thing is, I have not seen the first baseman glitch even once. I've figured out how to maneuver my outfielders so that they don't drop the ball constantly, even though I have to say that I can only describe the fielding in this game as clunky, finicky, and a general chore.

Even if all the bugs and glitches were fixed though, and this game produced super-realistic stats, I STILL would not like the gameplay. See, I just don't like how the game moves. I find the whole experience to be ugly and awkward. Right down to the way the players walk.

One thing that's killing me is the transition between the batter's step-out and his stance. You guys know what I'm talking about. SO awkward. It just reminds me that I'm playing a video game and takes away from the experience.

This game does do some things well, but they are limited mostly to things that do not affect the flow of the game. The broadcast presentation is very nice. The lighting is fantastic and I think the stadiums as a whole are really good, so props to them for that. The pitching is well done, although a little too easy to hit your spots.

I just can't get into this game though. It doesn't FEEL right. It feels like the control is not fluid and is very disjointed. Everything that moves looks ugly.

This is all very core stuff, stuff that cannot be fixed with patches. Unfortunately I think this series needs a new baseball engine. From scratch.

I trust VC going forward. I have seen their work in the past and they've produced some great stuff. I know that they had a short cycle on this game, and that Kush left them with quite a mess of a game (seems like everything Kush touches ends up a bit of a mess: ESPN NHL 2k4).

It's too bad but it seems as though the 2k sports division spends 75% of it's baseball budget on its exclusive license, and doesn't have the resources left over to invest in a quality product.

Such a shame for us.

Last edited by Simp; 03-05-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #941
MVP

Artman22's Arena

OVR: 26

Got the game today. I think it's ok. I had a lot of fun with it. Online was extremly smooth. The game is not bad at all. I think if they patch some of the issues then this game will be real nice. I wish the graphics were better but this game is way better then last years game. I still think 2k8 was the worst ever.. I think the scores this game has been getting are a bit too low. I would give it around an 7.5.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #942
Go Cougs!

WazzuRC's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I thought I asked this earlier and someone said it ends regularly.

Sadly, something like this would not fly with me. This game has plenty of reasons for me not to purchase it, but this is one of those "takes the cake" things.
LOL seriously?! The thing that puts it over the top is that you might have to play 2 innings at night for a 1:00 game?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #943
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuRC
LOL seriously?! The thing that puts it over the top is that you might have to play 2 innings at night for a 1:00 game?
It's not the actual thing itself, but it's kind of how I feel the developers have implemented the game in general... overall, knowing that they did something like that, it really just makes me question many of their decisions. I mean hey, if it's not a problem for you, that's great... but day games finishing at night (and jumping to night, mind you) is just laughable and embarrassing. I'm surprised they have that in.

The one and only feature I was absolutely amped for this year was real-time.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 03-05-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #944
Rookie

The Living Legend's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuRC

I have mixed feeling of the day to night proggression i dont like that the fact its so different evey inning i wish it was more suddle i mean the fact that a 1:00 game is night at the end is ridiculous... i know that the shadows dont move but if it was sooo much moe suddle would be sooo nice. UGH 2k!!!!!! god.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »