Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 12:47 AM   #985
#55
 
jgo777's Arena
 
OVR: 7
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 623
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw
All of you guys should just go buy a PS3 and buy The Show. It's the best baseball game out there and even has surpassed MVP 05 and High Heat. It's that good. 2K's player graphics are GOD awful and I never understood why the developers didn't redo them.
You know what's funny, I also have a PS3 and the Show, and the Show is much prettier and way more polished. But here's the thing - I keep finding myself coming back to this game because I think the batting and pitching interfaces are really fun. And since 90% of the time spent playing a baseball game is during the batter-pitcher matchup, that's pretty important. If it weren't for some of the more glaring bugs (a big IF I know), this would probably be my preferred baseball game, even though it lacks behind the Show in graphics, polish and lots of other areas.
__________________
XBL: Tanc
jgo777 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2009, 01:06 AM   #986
Banned
 
OVR: 23
Join Date: Dec 2008
Blog Entries: 6
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

I agree. I really was disapointed in this game. I still am in certain regards. The game was obviously rushed and isnt tuned right. But as ive really started to master certain things and get the flow of the game down and really use IE and stuff, it's pretty fun. Yes it's still broken lol, but the mechanics of the game are very good imo. I like having to really scout batters and try to beat them and use their weaknesses and stuf. It still doesnt work quite right but this game could be really deep if they ever do that. A really good patch here would make me happy. But I smoked a hr down the line in this game and i got this feeling of wow that was really awesome. I actually got goosebumps at how well it was executed and my feelings about this game changed. You really have to use IE to really appreciate this game. It's not implemented correctly but if you use it you can see what 2k is trying to do.

Last edited by kGinGreen; 03-09-2009 at 01:17 AM.
kGinGreen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:56 AM   #987
MVP
 
CarryTheWeight's Arena
 
OVR: 30
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Blog Entries: 13
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw
All of you guys should just go buy a PS3 and buy The Show. It's the best baseball game out there and even has surpassed MVP 05 and High Heat. It's that good. 2K's player graphics are GOD awful and I never understood why the developers didn't redo them.
Read Millenium's post on the top of this forum before posting something like this....
__________________
Owner of URWL CAW WRESTLING: http://www.rantboard.net/
CarryTheWeight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:38 AM   #988
He can talk the talk
 
Salhus's Arena
 
OVR: 20
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LA
Posts: 1,800
Blog Entries: 1
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgo777
You know what's funny, I also have a PS3 and the Show, and the Show is much prettier and way more polished. But here's the thing - I keep finding myself coming back to this game because I think the batting and pitching interfaces are really fun. And since 90% of the time spent playing a baseball game is during the batter-pitcher matchup, that's pretty important. If it weren't for some of the more glaring bugs (a big IF I know), this would probably be my preferred baseball game, even though it lacks behind the Show in graphics, polish and lots of other areas.
Do you mean the batter-hitter matchup??

If so, I'm with you.

That has always been my preference with this game compared to the Show.
Salhus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:35 AM   #989
Pro
 
johnriii's Arena
 
OVR: 6
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas city, MO
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw
All of you guys should just go buy a PS3 and buy The Show. It's the best baseball game out there and even has surpassed MVP 05 and High Heat. It's that good. 2K's player graphics are GOD awful and I never understood why the developers didn't redo them.
thanks for the tip...as if "all you guys" can just drop $300-$400 whenever they feel like it. why would you even post something like that in this thread? I have more important things to worry about, like a mortgage, college tuitions, things like that. must be nice to just have money to burn......yes this game is unbelievably frustrating, and here's hoping that VC will get us a patch to fix the major issues, but MLB the show guys need to chill...we all know it's a great game....
johnriii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #990
MVP
 
StormJH1's Arena
 
OVR: 13
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by kGinGreen
I agree. I really was disapointed in this game. I still am in certain regards. The game was obviously rushed and isnt tuned right. But as ive really started to master certain things and get the flow of the game down and really use IE and stuff, it's pretty fun. Yes it's still broken lol, but the mechanics of the game are very good imo. I like having to really scout batters and try to beat them and use their weaknesses and stuf. It still doesnt work quite right but this game could be really deep if they ever do that. A really good patch here would make me happy. But I smoked a hr down the line in this game and i got this feeling of wow that was really awesome. I actually got goosebumps at how well it was executed and my feelings about this game changed. You really have to use IE to really appreciate this game. It's not implemented correctly but if you use it you can see what 2k is trying to do.
There's no questioning that the glitches are inexcusable. Also, I haven't encountered any freezing in franchise yet, and that could be devastating to any chance this game has of holding my attention. But...

It's not a terrible game. I really feel that had they released a clean version that played properly w/o significant lag or slowdown, and with the other improvements in fielding, pitching, and swing stick/cursor batting, people would be pretty optimistic about this title. Some reviews may even have it in the low 8's.

I bought it after much deliberation, and I don't regret the purchase, even after seeing how bad the glitches were. There's a lot of good here, and poor reviews or not, I'm having fun with this game, and actually getting some pretty realistic results, when you look at the big picture.
StormJH1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #991
Or should I
 
catcatch22's Arena
 
OVR: 23
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 3,378
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

I'm totally enjoying the game especially with the zone hitting. One issue...

No company can get this right except High Heat. You should not be able to throw a strike any time you want. It ruins the game.

In High Heat even when you tried to throw a strike you pitcher would miss the plate forcing you to throw a ball. Now no matter what I will never throw a ball unless I want to. That is not sim.

There needs to be a system where you just can't throw a strike on command or at least not have soo much accuracy.

Please on the next patch make the pitching icon on the hardest difficulty level move as though your pitcher is uncomposed. As of right now I can place my pitch anywhere I want reguardless of changes to the sliders.

Make the pitch icon shake all the time and more violently for bad pitchers. The top pitchers it shakes a little. As of right now it is WAY TOO EASY!
catcatch22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #992
All Star
 
OVR: 35
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Cleveland
Blog Entries: 4
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Not to start a war, but from what little I've played of The Show 08, I thought it did a good job of making it difficult to throw a strike every time.
There are a lot of things High Heat did right that other games still have not been able to do.
boomhauertjs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 PM.

Top -