Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 03-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #1017
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarlic
Just a quick question. Are there rain delays in 2k9?
I hope not. In 2K8 there was a glitch that would make there be rain delay's the Metrodome >_>
Old 03-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #1018
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kGinGreen
I honestly dont think people realize there is this thing in this game called sliders and Inside Edge. Use them. If you throw pitches in a hitters hot zone he is going to swing. I honestly don't think people have put 2 and 2 together here. Throw in the cold zones and the chase zones and see what happens. Throw pitch types that each batter has trouble hitting and see what happens. Use your pitchers stronger pitches. It's an amazing thing.

This game has something called depth to it which I'm not sure people understand which is too bad. Don't max out the throw meters and maybe you won't pull the first baseman off the bag? Throw in the green. Set your feet. Make slight adjustments from there depending on the play. If you need a flip, flip it. If you need a little extra give it a little extra. Get in the area to make a play and let the AI help you get in position. Don't go nuts on the sticks. Hit the button if you need a little extra to get there. Hold it to make a bigger player. Use the right bumper to block homeplate and make a tag. When at bat work the count. Take a pitch or two and wait for a pitch to hit. Adjust sliders accordingly. I know it makes way too much sense. This game is a lot of fun if you can get a hang of the basics and look past some of the shortcomings.

This game is not as broken as people are making it out to be. Yeah there are framerate hiccups and glitches. Yes the graphics are a bit dated and washed out although 2k did up the animations big time. Yeah the way IE is integrated is poor and I don't think a lot of people even know how to use it. There should be a better way to see these things without having to bring up the window every at bat. But it's second nature once you get the hang of it. Turning on IE K Zone and getting some good sliders changed this game for me.
Man, I'm totally confused here. In reading through this thread, I noticed at one point you were completely disappointed in the game. Now, it seems you think it is great, and on par with The Show, but not really, but almost. All the bugs can be fixed by changing "some sliders"...which ones...you never say. The only other factor in your formula for success and happiness with this game is IE. But, there is a stickied thread in this forum that's main point is that IE is broken and causing arguably the biggest bug in the game.

I admittedly do not understand what you mean when you say, "this game has something called depth to it which I'm not sure people understand" and how that explains all the bugs I've seen.

In any case, I'm still disappointed and now confused too.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #1019
MVP

Stroehms's Arena

OVR: 55

I just bought this yesterday and am completely disappointed so far. Hopefully I can find enjoyment in this because I really want to sell my PS3.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #1020
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
Man, I'm totally confused here. In reading through this thread, I noticed at one point you were completely disappointed in the game. Now, it seems you think it is great, and on par with The Show, but not really, but almost. All the bugs can be fixed by changing "some sliders"...which ones...you never say. The only other factor in your formula for success and happiness with this game is IE. But, there is a stickied thread in this forum that's main point is that IE is broken and causing arguably the biggest bug in the game.

I admittedly do not understand what you mean when you say, "this game has something called depth to it which I'm not sure people understand" and how that explains all the bugs I've seen.

In any case, I'm still disappointed and now confused too.
Well said.

He's found enjoyment in the game apparently, which is a good thing and I'm happy for him (wish I could get THAT much enjoyment out of it).

However, now it feels like he's been converted and is out spreading his gospel...lol.

It's been the same theme in every discussion involving fault with this game. I don't know why people can't civily discuss the game without resorting to either attacking or defending the game. It's a game...not holy ground.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #1021
MVP

OVR: 36

Has anyone particularly Phillies fans notice how they made Pedro Feliz white or if not white at least closer to white than black. I don't knpw it might just be my eyes because I had bad eyesight, but I could have sworn he was white and when I saw it I was going off, because thats not the way to treat the world champions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #1022
Rookie

OVR: 1

After reading all the negative reviews, I was extremely happy with this game. Maybe everyone set me up for the worst. I have only played 3 games, but I think it is a pretty good game. Since I have a 360 I do not have the choice to play anything else. This game does not make me want to go buy a PS3. Could it be better, always. But I am not ready to trade this in.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:29 AM   #1023
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin23
Has anyone particularly Phillies fans notice how they made Pedro Feliz white or if not white at least closer to white than black. I don't knpw it might just be my eyes because I had bad eyesight, but I could have sworn he was white and when I saw it I was going off, because thats not the way to treat the world champions.

Pedro Feliz looks awful. Agreed.

I am grossly disappointed that 2k inexplicably omitted signature styles for Shane Victorino, Jayson Werth and even Carlos Ruiz. Horrible.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #1024
Rookie

OVR: 1

I have started 12 games and finished none since Sunday. I can't get over how bad this game is, I really want my money back. there is just too many things wrong with this game. I love baseball and that is the only reason I'm still giving this game a chance, but seriously don't know how anyone can say this game anything more then a 5.

For the record I'm not a ps3 fanboy, in fact I'm a PC and EA MVP fanboy, but that makes me a dinosaur I suppose. I bought the 360 begrudgingly because I can't take it that all the studios are catering to the console market and forgetting about the PC, even though the PC is truely superior to both consoles. I only picked up my 360 in October and I couldn't wait to play this game, Maybe that's why I'm so frustrated. I can't wait another year (and hope) for the next version. It's really enough to make me consider selling the 360 and bending over for a ps3.

I picked off 4 runners in one inning! that's insane. Jacoby Ellsbury has more headers then Ronaldo. Jeter has been hit in the nose with line drives twice in one game. and to add insult to injury the commentators seem to chim in about how the defense has failed as the pitcher hits an inside the park home run because the ball went physically though the center fielder and then could not be picked up.

I've tried every default difficulty setting and downloaded 3 different slider sets touting realism. they didn't help other then to stop the onslaught of homers being hit against me. Persoanlly I don't believe you should ever have to use a slider period, unless you want to cheat or to even the playing field if you're playing against someone that isn't as good.

I don't think patches can fix everything that's wrong, and even if they could, it shouldn't have to come to that. This game is a lemon.
and to all those that say it has depth....well I just don't see it. Does it have potential, sure, will that potential be realised? Highly unlikely.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »