Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #185
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwnarrow3
What is this? That is the worst idea I've ever heard! I bet you're the only person on this forum who wants that.
Dude, settle the f*** down. I was kidding. You may now remove the panties wedged in your crack.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2009, 05:41 PM   #186
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
Example 1... had an Oriole player in a run down between 2nd base & A-Rod. The runner committed to 3rd and I got the ball to A-Rod very early. A Rod caught the ball cleanly and the runner ran(clipped) through A-Rod While A-Rod made no attempt to touch him with the ball. No attempt at tag, no collision despite the player's 3D mass going through one-side of A-Rod and out the other. It seems like there's no baserunner-fielder collision detection whatsoever (other than with the catcher), so I'm wondering if there's no hook slides this year that take out fielders on the bag?

Example 3....
I can cite about 4 incidents of my 1st baseman simply stepping his toe off of the bag while catching routine throws to first for what should have been easy outs. Sometimes it didn't even look like his foot was at all off the bag, but the ump called safe each time. This was extremely frustrating as it happened three times in a row in the 11th inning on routine grounders where Jeter would field the ball, and my second baseman would simply take a step towards the accurate throw towards him, and leave his foot off the bag by an inch or less. It loaded the bases on 3 infield grounders. I was not a happy camper. I can understand this if I threw wild & high at him and he had to jump off the bag to make the catch, but that wasn't the case. He'd just step off? Perhaps that's the penalty for not throwing a perfect "in the green" throw (in terms of the meter) but the throw was to the 1st baseman's glove.

For example 1, I had something in sort of that same line. I stole a bag and accidentally had it pre-set so he would steal from 1st to 3rd. So the guy stole 2nd cleanly as the A.I. couldn't tag my guy in time. Then my runner got up and ran to third, and the A.I. was way late to react and throw to third -- my guy ended up being safe.

Ghosting/clipping is definitely still in the game this year, not sure if take-out slides aren't possible yet though, it might just be a set animation rather than a natural thing where 3-D object doesn't go through the other 3-D object. From my discussions with developers, this is apparently very hard to accomplish in baseball games -- that is remove the clipping that you routinely see on the base paths.

Example 3 is an occurrence that has been replicated in my game and I've seen it posted other places as well. So I think that is an accepted fault. The 1st baseman simply misses the bag sometimes. I've only had it happen one time to me so far though.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #187
Banned

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwoodz
Gather 'round kiddies...I'm going to tell you a story about a GLITCHY baseball game

A looong time ago, there was a video game named MVP 2004 from EA sports...this was the follow-up game to the critically acclaimed MVP 2003..

This game received very good reviews, 80-90's, was released, and all the little children of the land were happy.

Until one day, one of the children spoke up, "hey, I'm not hitting homeruns with left handed batters!"...many of the children scoffed at the little boy, but others began to notice the same thing...

One day, the makers of MVP 04 released a statement saying that there was indeed a GLITCH that left the children of the land unable to hit homeruns with left handed batters - rendering the game literally unplayable. PC users and XBOX users recieved the update...ps2 users had to deal with it

What's the moral of the story? 1) This is not the first time this has happened where a glitch can muck up a whole game 2) a patch to fix a problem on the first day released is a beautiful thing. 2k diverted a potentially game killing experience.

The End.
I really want to like this game. It is kind of like the little engine that could because it's really the only option we have here on the 360. I'm a realist though and i think it will be good but it's going to leave me wanting more. I already know this. I just have to accept it or buy a ps3. Which i'm most likely going to do.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #188
MVP

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwoodz
Gather 'round kiddies...I'm going to tell you a story about a GLITCHY baseball game

A looong time ago, there was a video game named MVP 2004 from EA sports...this was the follow-up game to the critically acclaimed MVP 2003..

This game received very good reviews, 80-90's, was released, and all the little children of the land were happy.

Until one day, one of the children spoke up, "hey, I'm not hitting homeruns with left handed batters!"...many of the children scoffed at the little boy, but others began to notice the same thing...

One day, the makers of MVP 04 released a statement saying that there was indeed a GLITCH that left the children of the land unable to hit homeruns with left handed batters - rendering the game literally unplayable. PC users and XBOX users recieved the update...ps2 users had to deal with it

What's the moral of the story? 1) This is not the first time this has happened where a glitch can muck up a whole game 2) a patch to fix a problem on the first day released is a beautiful thing. 2k diverted a potentially game killing experience.

The End.
That was a good story but the Xbox version received no patch. The Xbox version had no online capability. This was during the time when EA and Microsoft couldn't agree on the terms of online play.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #189
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh348
That was a good story but the Xbox version received no patch. The Xbox version had no online capability. This was during the time when EA and Microsoft couldn't agree on the terms of online play.
- yes, and you would be correct! I remember now...I simply traded my copy in out of frustration. but you are correct here...thanks.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #190
Banned

OVR: 0

Todd has a nice write-up of impressions over at The Nut and Feisty Weasel.

http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2009/02/mlb-2k9.html
Old 02-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #191
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Example 3 is an occurrence that has been replicated in my game and I've seen it posted other places as well. So I think that is an accepted fault. The 1st baseman simply misses the bag sometimes. I've only had it happen one time to me so far though.
Really weird coincidence, but I played a game of MLB 2K7 last night and had that same exact thing happen to me. I must've played hundreds of games of 2K7 since it came out, and I only saw that for the first time last night.

This is a 2K9 post, I know, but something tells me this "issue" is a rarity (based on my experience with an older version of the engine).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #192
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

OK, I have my copy. Just home from work. Need to get some grub, make a 6 cup pot of coffee (for tonight's festivities) & make nice with the wife. I should be jumping on between 7&8pm EST.

I will try to answer questions the best I can. FYI I will be testing Cursor Hitting mainly, I also will be fooling around with Sliders to see how the NEW SLIDERS affect the game. I will also be taking some screen shots of the game.

Please try to keep your questions relevant to Game Play. I know that maybe hard, but it would make it easier for me to answer questions.

Thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »