Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #433
Hall Of Fame

Kashanova's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

I might pick this up this week, I have the show 09 but i usually always get both games
Old 03-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #434
Rookie

Arod2k9's Arena

OVR: 7

What up guys I'm new to the board! As a huge baseball fan I go back to each and every baseball game since 1990 for every system.

I bought MLB 2K9 for the 360 yesterday at Bronx Shop and the following lists a few things some have not posted about the game.

Negative 1:
User Classic Hitting is way to easy in all levels including Legend or Custom having my contact/power sliders at 0. The pitch meter/speed was at 100 and still could not be strike out. I fixed this by Zone/Cursor hitting and I struck up 12 times vs Derek Lowe of Braves (I was Mets, lost 7-1 at Citi Field). It feels very realist to hit with zone hitting on.

This was very frustrating since in past games it was the contrary. User hitting was very hard to master like in 2k7/2k8.

Negative 2: Why can't we pitch as in the show? No meter, yellow ball lighting up. This is also frustrating since it takes away from realism.

Negative 3: No World Baseball Classic included! How fun would it be to play a tournament with all 16 nations. Damn...

Positives: This game reminds me of MVP 2005, its presentation is so clean and detailed, I played for 4 hours straight last night. As pointed out by some here the gameplay needs a little fixing but other than that is great. I'm glad I bought the game but hope that VC fixes the small bugs in the game AI hitting aggresives and User Contact in Classic mode.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #435
Banned

~Guru~'s Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arod2k9
What up guys I'm new to the board! As a huge baseball fan I go back to each and every baseball game since 1990 for every system.

I bought MLB 2K9 for the 360 yesterday at Bronx Shop and the following lists a few things some have not posted about the game.

Negative 1:
User Classic Hitting is way to easy in all levels including Legend or Custom having my contact/power sliders at 0. The pitch meter/speed was at 100 and still could not be strike out. I fixed this by Zone/Cursor hitting and I struck up 12 times vs Derek Lowe of Braves (I was Mets, lost 7-1 at Citi Field). It feels very realist to hit with zone hitting on.

This was very frustrating since in past games it was the contrary. User hitting was very hard to master like in 2k7/2k8.

Negative 2: Why can't we pitch as in the show? No meter, yellow ball lighting up. This is also frustrating since it takes away from realism.

Negative 3: No World Baseball Classic included! How fun would it be to play a tournament with all 16 nations. Damn...

Positives: This game reminds me of MVP 2005, its presentation is so clean and detailed, I played for 4 hours straight last night. As pointed out by some here the gameplay needs a little fixing but other than that is great. I'm glad I bought the game but hope that VC fixes the small bugs in the game AI hitting aggresives and User Contact in Classic mode.

i could not play this game if they had the shows pitching mechanics

sure the yellow ballons sucks but the pitching itself is the best ever in any baseball game

the show has it beat all around but the pitching is just outstanding in this game

and classic hitting to me is to easy...if i wanted to press a button to hit i would just play the show all day long and not 2k

swing stick is the best and most challenging aspect for hitting
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #436
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

At this point I guess I'm looking for an honest no BS opinion form the guys that have the game. Honestly, is it really worth it?

After reading the impressions, I'm finding it hard to believe that outside of stolen bases, the actual gameplay has not been improved.

2k9

-Improved graphics
-Easier Controls
-Real Time...whatever
-Real Time roster updates
-No Meatball
-Better SIM engine
**IE still a mess
**No Exhibition Mode
**Pathetic Play Editor
**Inexplicable Sliders
**The removal of important sliders

Without Exhibition mode (In Play Now you can't alter the CPU lineup), pi$$ poor AI plate discipline and God awful CPU roster management, it really sounds like a waste of money. Should I risk the $60 and hope for a patch or just spend the $350 on the PS3 and The Show?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #437
Banned

~Guru~'s Arena

Ok guys I am going to report some stats of my games using custom sliders

My first game is Phils at Mets...me using the Mets and Oliver Perez pitching

so far we have played 5 innings and the phils are up 1-0

Oliver has throw 58 pitches for me in 5 innings

37 strikes and 21 balls

Hammels:

Has thown just 36

9 balls and 27 strikes...but I have been hacking a lot and not being patient but by end of game i will raise the pitch total

be back with the last half of the game
Old 03-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #438
Banned

~Guru~'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
At this point I guess I'm looking for an honest no BS opinion form the guys that have the game. Honestly, is it really worth it?

After reading the impressions, I'm finding it hard to believe that outside of stolen bases, the actual gameplay has not been improved.

2k9

-Improved graphics
-Easier Controls
-Real Time...whatever
-Real Time roster updates
-No Meatball
-Better SIM engine
**IE still a mess
**No Exhibition Mode
**Pathetic Play Editor
**Inexplicable Sliders
**The removal of important sliders

Without Exhibition mode (In Play Now you can't alter the CPU lineup), pi$$ poor AI plate discipline and God awful CPU roster management, it really sounds like a waste of money. Should I risk the $60 and hope for a patch or just spend the $350 on the PS3 and The Show?

I can tell what each slider does...Is not to hard

Sucks that you cant edit other teams line ups but i never do anyway...is the cpu pitcher that i hate not being able to change..but there is a work around it which was posted before

Inside edge to me has no barring on the issues...it can be turned off.....

I cant suggest how to spend your money...I love the show...but this game is a keeper if you want a baseball fix for the year...it has a bunch of quirks but gameplay and fun factor are big selling points for me...
Old 03-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #439
MVP

OVR: 15

looks like im getting both games this year.
this was the first year in a long time that i liked what i saw from the 2k9 demo.
anyone know if you can do a fantasy draft with cpu generated names (no mlb players)??
Old 03-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #440

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_OS
I hope your telling the truth.
This is exactly what I was told. VC knows about the problem, and they are looking into a fix. My source said they are taking this game very seriously, which leads him to believe the fix will be sooner rather than later.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »