Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #529
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornie
This game is starting to remind me of the hot girlfriend with just enough personality to keep you interested, then would say something so remarkably stupid that makes you really think twice...

I've now logged an entire weekend with her.. um I mean it. So here goes...

IMO the game is broken. I love it, but it's broken. It needs to be patched desperately and if they are taking this game as seriously as some are saying, it needs to be patched soon. Here are some issues that I'm having and have found "workarounds" for...

AI taking strikes - All IE sliders set to ZERO. Then I edited every single players "draw walk" slider to 100, and dropped their contact down my 15 ticks. This allows me to get MAYBE 3 called strikes the entire game. Hey listen... when the alternative is NO called strikes for the whole game, I'll take this as a moral victory.

Drawing Walks - I took the extreme approach here and lowered all AI pitch accuracy sliders to ZERO, all of them. I get good results, I walk maybe 4-5 times a game and routinely get the pitcher in the 80s-90s in pitch count. One thing about this game is that they 9 times out of 10 will pull the pitcher at around 75-80 pitches. So if you get the pitcher to get in the 100s, you deserve a trophy.

I have to say that hitting against the AI is a ton of fun, and is the best part of this game. It's like playing TWO completely different games when going back and forth between pitching and hitting. I'll have like a 10+ minute inning hitting against the CPU, then I'll consistently have 2-3 minute innings pitching. It's really REALLY frustrating.

Fielding - Fielding in this game is pretty awful. I figured out a way to avoid dropping the ball in the outfield, or the outfielder over running the ball completely. Turns out that shadowy circle around the yellow indicator is like a suction cup. If you GENTLY approach the shadowed circle and let go of the stick, your fielder will go into an pre animation and catch the ball. It's not perfect but I'm dropping far less bals in the outfield.

The infield fielding although better, is still broken. It seems the only way to avoid the problem of the 1st baseman not recieving the ball with his foot on the bag is try and get the throw meter on the green. If any part of the meter touches the red, the 1st basemans foot will mysteriously be off the bag during his catch animation. The things is though, AI baserunners are way too fast, and its VERY difficult to catch a slow roller and get a guy out throwing on the green. Jason Giambi out of all people beat out a slow grounder to the SS for God's sake.

IMO these are the three issues that need to be fixed and patched immediately. This is the CORE of the game, and it's flawed. Fix this and you'll have a great game on your hands.

One last thing...

Regarding not being able to change the CPUS lineup. You DON'T have to make a ton of different game saves and load whichever before you play. All you have to do is set the lineup BEFORE you play. This takes like 5 seconds. Management --> Pitch Rotation --> EDIT to your liking, and back out. Seriously, it takes like 5 seconds.

LOL at 2K. I feel bad for the offline/franchise players. Luckily, I'm getting this for online play and those things won't effect me too much (and I've gotten pretty good at fielding except for the DAMN BALL HITTING MY PLAYER ON HIS HEAD! ).
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 03-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #530
MVP

OVR: 17

Honestly the videos I've seen makes this game look pretty good overall. I'm still considering picking it up. I can deal with most of the off-field issues though I would like for them to patch batter aggressiveness. Hit variety and batting looks real nice to me. Pitching seems good too if the CPU would stop swinging. Really love the pitching animations. Fielding seems about the same in the past which I can deal with though no perfect. I do like how the infielders actually have some loft on their throws unlike the Show which everything is a straight bullet no matter how far the throw. Presentation seems pretty good, announcing sounds great. One area where the Show takes the cake is crowd noise. And of course having the strike zone constantly on, the softball cursor, and the ridiculous running icons bothers me.

All in all, I wish I could play the Show, but think settling for 2k9 would still be fun and save money.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #531
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Guru~
sorry bro but you are in the minority...the issue is that the cpu swings at most pitches you throw..

they dont take strikes...if they are making to much contact then lower their contact slider...is all about how you set your game up

no game plays perfect without sliders...no matter what anybody tells you...sliders are put there because anybody can beat the cpu if you play long enough and master the game...

so we can get better at the game but people want the game to stay the same in terms of difficutly...i dont get it'

i have the game since friday...the games issue has nothing to do with striking out cpu hitters

Not listening to this guy, I just read through and you seem to be personally vested in this game or something
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #532
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quick question for anyone with the retail PS3 version - are the graphics in the retail copy any cleaner than the demo? Specifically referring to the 'jaggies', as I found the 360 version much cleaner. Thanks guys.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #533
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44
Not listening to this guy, I just read through and you seem to be personally vested in this game or something
Ditto. This guy has some hidden agenda. Especially when he's claiming it plays a realistic game. I don't mind if someone enjoys the game and gives honest opinions, but there is something fishy about someone that spins everything into a positive
Old 03-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #534
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44
Actually if you read up on his posts before last Friday, you will find that he was quite skeptical of this game. Since he spent a lot of time with the game, he has grown to like it.

Don't take this the wrong way, but his input has some validity because he actually owns and plays the game.

Last edited by mattstl77; 03-02-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #535
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattstl77
Actually if you read up on his posts before last Friday, you will find that he was quite skeptical of this game. Since he spent a lot of time with the game, he has grown to like it.
I don't know seems more forced then anything. It's like that person that constantly says how happy they are, when deep down inside they're miserable
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #536
Banned

OVR: 6

The way I see it is that he is admitting The Show is the better game but he is also saying that MLB 2k9 is a ton of fun. Since he likes both games, it is hard to figure out his agenda. I can see why some would think that his view is forced. I think he is doing a good job being honest.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »