Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #553
MVP

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

In Franchise when you call up, trade, sign, etc will that players number change if someone on your team already has that number or does it allow duplicate jersey numbers, please tell me they dont allow duplicate... Someone answer this question!!! lol.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #554
Rookie

OVR: 3

with so much bickering on the thread I find it hard to truly get the feeling for this. Is it good or not ? is it an 8,a 6 or worse? just looking for cold, stoic, review type answer...does the game play well, will I want to spend my money and my time working a franchise or am I going to get that frustration which makes me want to propel my controller through the wall?

Thanks for any insight I do appreciate your thoughts people.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #555
Rookie

OVR: 1

UGH this game as much as i enjoy it i cant get through a game it constantly freezes once the game ends in my franchise. Is there any hope to a fix for this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #556
Rookie

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
In Franchise when you call up, trade, sign, etc will that players number change if someone on your team already has that number or does it allow duplicate jersey numbers, please tell me they dont allow duplicate... Someone answer this question!!! lol.
Can't you just edit the numbers yourself? What's the big deal?

- Mike Royko
Old 03-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #557
08 Mets! One Year Older!

thornie's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
Again, I'm not seeing this. I'm playing AllStar difficulty with a few minor slider tweaks and I'm averaging 5-9 K's per game, 2 looking per game . . .again, on average. You're not pitching smart, you need to mix it up better. Furthermore, don't use the 2K8 pitching controls, use the new 2-step approach. It's MUCH more realistic in terms of getting the CPU to take strikes and swing and miss.
I DO strike out 6-9 a game, and I have even struck out 11 so strikeouts are not as issue for me. The thing is I strike them all out swinging on a perfectly a executed pitch (MAX on the circle), or off speed stuff in the dirt. I've played the game since Friday as well, and only managed to strike out 3 or 4 guys looking over the course of 10 or so games.

Quote:
See, I don't get this at all. I haven't dropped ANY flyballs in the outfield. Furthermore, I haven't overrun any flyballs. I think you need practice. Did you play last year's game? If not, you just need practice. If you did, then you're either BS'ing or you just aren't good. Seriously, I'm having NO issues with this on the retail version of the game.
I did play the game last year. I played a full year of a Brewers franchise, and half of a Marlins franchise. Not to mention countless exhibition games. I'm NOT BS'ing, fielding in the outfield can be an adventure sometimes. I can be directly ON the circle and the ball will bounce right off my outfielders head. Literally hit his head and fall to the ground. There is also an instance where coming in on a ball too quickly would allow the ball shoot right by my outfiedler. Stuff like this happens close to every other game I play. I'm just calling i tlike I see it, and I am not the only one who this is happening to. This never ONCE happened to me in 2k8.

Quote:
I've had the game since Friday. I've played about 5 games. I have seen the 1st basemen take his foot off the base ONCE in those 5 games AND that ONE time was a bad throw in which he recovered and tagged the base regardless and got the runner. I honestly haven't seen what you're describing AT ALL and that's even on bad throws. Furthermore, I haven't had ANY slow grounders getting beaten by slow runners. If you react quickly (normally, not warp speed), I haven't seen any of these issues.
Read KC's post, he pretty much summed up what I was saying. If you throw past or below the green the first baseman's foot will come off the bag. It doesn't happen EVERY time, but it happens. My beef is not with the fact that it happens, let's face it this stuff DOES happen in real life. It's that there is no animation for the error, it just looks like he's catching the ball normally untill you realize the runner you threw out by 3 steps was safe.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #558
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
In one of the impressions threads, it was stated that it will duplicate numbers if you call up, send down, trade, etc. for a new player. However, as BadKermit points out above, you can edit numbers in franchise so it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #559
I <3 My Jordycakes

Padgoi's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornie
I DO strike out 6-9 a game, and I have even struck out 11 so strikeouts are not as issue for me. The thing is I strike them all out swinging on a perfectly a executed pitch (MAX on the circle), or off speed stuff in the dirt. I've played the game since Friday as well, and only managed to strike out 3 or 4 guys looking over the course of 10 or so games.
As I said, I've struck out between 1-3 batters looking per game (which is the MLB average) and I RARELY max out the meter. You need to mix it up better.

Quote:
I did play the game last year. I played a full year of a Brewers franchise, and half of a Marlins franchise. Not to mention countless exhibition games. I'm NOT BS'ing, fielding in the outfield can be an adventure sometimes. I can be directly ON the circle and the ball will bounce right off my outfielders head. Literally hit his head and fall to the ground. There is also an instance where coming in on a ball too quickly would allow the ball shoot right by my outfiedler. Stuff like this happens close to every other game I play. I'm just calling i tlike I see it, and I am not the only one who this is happening to. This never ONCE happened to me in 2k8.
Again, I have only seen the first basemen come off the bag once for a bad throw and he recovered. Hasn't happened other than that. As for the outfield, I did make one error where the outfielder got to the spot VERY late and dropped it. And in my last game, I witnessed the first time where I was on the spot for a full second and the ball flew past my outfielder. So yes, there are issues, though not nearly as bad as you make them out to be.

Quote:
Read KC's post, he pretty much summed up what I was saying. If you throw past or below the green the first baseman's foot will come off the bag. It doesn't happen EVERY time, but it happens. My beef is not with the fact that it happens, let's face it this stuff DOES happen in real life. It's that there is no animation for the error, it just looks like he's catching the ball normally untill you realize the runner you threw out by 3 steps was safe.
And again, haven't seen it at all. Not once.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #560
MVP

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drterb
In one of the impressions threads, it was stated that it will duplicate numbers if you call up, send down, trade, etc. for a new player. However, as BadKermit points out above, you can edit numbers in franchise so it shouldn't be an issue.
Yeah but how annoying is that! plus im sure you cant edit all the other teams and who would want to do that. It really takes away from the realism of the game. I mean would you not be annoyed if your playing a team and you see: at bat #2........ next up #2........ on deck #2........

Last edited by JayD; 03-02-2009 at 06:51 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »