Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #689
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by kGinGreen
am I right in assuming this is a pretty arcadelike swing and hit, pitch and hit low pitch count title? I'm trying really hard not to knock this game, but I'm still wondering if you can get more sim type battles at the plate on higher difficulties like hall of fame. Has anyone tried these yet? I had no issue getting called strikes in the demo. My main issue is its impossible to miss the strike zone or miss with the bat when hitting. the hit variety is there. the presentation is cool. the graphics might not be up to par with the show, but i really enjoyed the presentation and flow of the games presentation wise. my main issue between the lines and the gameplay and there were too many 1 and done type battles. there are no battles thats the problem. too many hits, too much contact. the ai is really scripted. not enough diversity with pitches out of the zone and swinging and missing etc......
I think that if you bumped up the difficulty, you would find those battles that you are seeking. I started playing with the default level and jumped to Legend. There is a big difference and I think you will find what you are looking for if you jump up in difficulty.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #690
Banned

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
I think that if you bumped up the difficulty, you would find those battles that you are seeking. I started playing with the default level and jumped to Legend. There is a big difference and I think you will find what you are looking for if you jump up in difficulty.
I'm cynical and am not going to buy the game until i hear otherwise because nba 2k9 was teh same thing. I know a lot of people think 2k9 was great but 2k's ai is really bad and scripted. There was very little to the ai in nba 2k9 as far as being forced to move the ball and one on one battles. I know people didn't give live a chance but if you played it you'd notice the AI is better in these areas and actually forces court spacing and movement of the ball. The one on one battles the ai is also more advanced. I'm starting to think this is just 2k and their AI is dated and very simplistic. After you play nba 2k9 for a while you notice you can do the same moves over and over and get to the basket. yeah they put some bandaids on it and tried to fix it but it's something with their AI in their games that I never liked. If you watch the ai in 2k9 all they do is force the ball in the paint over and over. It just seems to me like their pitching and batting ai is the same here. It's way too simplistic and scripted where once you learn it its easy to tee off and fool the cpu. Unless someone can tell me something conclusive here it's kind of pointless because I think 2k needs a major overhaul to their AI.

One thing i liked about the demo was that the cpu does steal bases and throw to bases more randomly and on queue. I saw things i didn't expect in that regard. In past versions of 2k's games you jack up the difficulties and all it does is make the cpu cheese and the players ratings go through the roof. the ai doesn't get better. i'm just wondering if that is different here. I don't care if a guy i not wearing the right patch or if his stance isnt 100% correct. What i'm missing is organic gameplay and 2k has been really lacking in that recently and just seems way too scripted. 2k7 was the last year where 2k was really on top in that regard. Anything by 2k after 2k7 it's like they intentionally dumbed down their AI or something.

Last edited by kGinGreen; 03-03-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #691
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
I am using total control pitching, and when I hit it dead on, I have more success. I havent tried using classic yet
Can somebody explain the total control pitching? I have no clue what that green circle means, I go into step 1 but dont know when to motion into step 2.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #692
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation
Yes you could. However it was very annoying having to manually edit almost every rookie that got called up because of their jersey number and height.

Was hoping this was fixed this year.
there is living rosters and weekly updates like in NBA 2K9, so don't worry too much.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #693
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
New closer, same team. 5-5 game into the 9th, I bring in Kerry Wood, gives up 3 singles and a grand slam. YAY! LOL
WOW I didn't think this game would be that realistic!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #694
N.W.O. - NO WR OPEN

Checmate101's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
WOW I didn't think this game would be that realistic!

Man, I think Kerry Wood would do y'all good.
Uconn Huskies
Miami Hurricanes
Old 03-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #695
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checmate101
Man, I think Kerry Wood would do y'all good.
Yeah I do too. Its just that our closers have been a laughing stock the last couple years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #696
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
Yeah I do too. Its just that our closers have been a laughing stock the last couple years.

Cry me a river. Try watching the Mets the past few seasons

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »