Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #761
Banned

OVR: 23
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

I'm standing by my statement that this game is weird. It's good enough and does enough things right to hold my interest. But there are enough things wrong with it to hold me off buying it for now. I love some of the things the AI does, and there are things I hate. I love how the cpu will attempt to pick runners off, make throws at the lead runner, walk batters, pitch around guys, set up the double play, pitch out and fire at first. I had this great diving stab at first base and was like wow that was so well done. But on the other hand there are still glitchy things with this game and the AI is not up to par in areas. pitching and hitting seems overly simplified to me. It's really difficult to miss hte strike zone. It's also really hard to swing and miss. The AI also does ridiculous things at times. The presentation, camera angles and batter walkups are all extremely well done. But then there is stuff you see during the realtime setup and comments are made during the commentary that are way off. it's a mixed bag for me. It's a step up from 2k8, but it's like 2k is kind of caught in between here. IT's a sim in some ways and its also a flawed arcade title in others. I can still hold up on the left stick and hit bombs at will if i really want to.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #762
Little Big Puig

elTodd's Arena

OVR: 24

Take out the 1B not staying on the bag, and this game is fantastic. BFJ's sliders work wonders. I still think the CPU swings too much, and gets too many cheap hits. But other than that, this game is great. Much improved over 2K8.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #763
Rookie

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgundie
as much as i hate to say it, i can see him being a cubs killer
Cause it's always the unlikely players for us. The superstars from the Cubs always kill the Cards, and its freaking Joel Pinero and Looper who wind up owning the Cubs. Greene might just be worth all the money we're wasting if he can do that.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #764
Rookie

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kGinGreen
I can still hold up on the left stick and hit bombs at will if i really want to.
I'm thinking about trying to just not aim with the left stick at all and see what happens, because I think (long shot) that it really turns into a semi-MVP 05 deal where it's simply contact. Not everything that I laid off the left stick for was a straight hit, some bounced left and right, and one was even a HR.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #765
MVP

RunN1st's Arena

OVR: 20

I have really been on the fence on this game, so I jumped at the opportunity to rent a copy from my local Blockbuster! They had a few copies... I figured, $10 and 10 days should be a good trade off to try this game.

All in all, I've found this game to be pretty enjoyable... So far I've played 4 offline games and 2 1/2 online games.

My micro perspective!

Pro's:
  • I really enjoy hitting and pitching... both classic and full control style. We played one game with classic controls and the pitch speed set to 100 and it was quite fun. We also played with full control but it seemed more enjoyable using classic. (Maybe because we're both in our 30's?)
  • The camera angles are 100% to my liking. You can center or offset the camera from the centerfield view ala ESPN high pitch view. Luckily for me, I use this camera feature for both hitting and pitching.
  • The stadium graphics are not mind blowing but they are certainly acceptable (based on my standards).
  • The bullpens are 100% active and pitchers hang out in the pens during the game.
  • The broadcast is very well done. They are a little late at times but in general it's pretty entertaining.
  • The throwing meter difficulty is a nice added touch and some fielding animations are nicely done.
Cons:
  • The day to night transitions work ok. It seems to get a little too dark during day-to-afternoon transitions. I played a day game at Anaheim and by the 9th inning it looked like it was 6:30pm.
  • The fielding is a mixed bag. I had some situations where fielders simply had a mind of their own. (One guy was hit on the back by a fly ball.) This is probably the black eye of this game. Not a game breaker but it hurts to not be able to accurately control your fielders. (Nuff said.)
  • The online lag... during our first game (@ Oakland) we experienced very little lag... 2nd game we hit on-the-field lag at Yankee stadium. We also saw some lag during our game in Anaheim but it was primarily during foul balls.
  • You can't mix full control and classic controls online. (It's one or the other.) I enjoy full control pitching and classic hitting but you can only customize it that way when playing offline.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by RunN1st; 03-03-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #766
Banned

OVR: 23

cool mniner. I think i'm going to rent it right now as a matter of fact.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #767
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kGinGreen
I'm standing by my statement that this game is weird. It's good enough and does enough things right to hold my interest. But there are enough things wrong with it to hold me off buying it for now. I love some of the things the AI does, and there are things I hate. I love how the cpu will attempt to pick runners off, make throws at the lead runner, walk batters, pitch around guys, set up the double play, pitch out and fire at first. I had this great diving stab at first base and was like wow that was so well done. But on the other hand there are still glitchy things with this game and the AI is not up to par in areas. pitching and hitting seems overly simplified to me. It's really difficult to miss hte strike zone. It's also really hard to swing and miss. The AI also does ridiculous things at times. The presentation, camera angles and batter walkups are all extremely well done. But then there is stuff you see during the realtime setup and comments are made during the commentary that are way off. it's a mixed bag for me. It's a step up from 2k8, but it's like 2k is kind of caught in between here. IT's a sim in some ways and its also a flawed arcade title in others. I can still hold up on the left stick and hit bombs at will if i really want to.
Paragraphs are a good thing, my man. No one wants to read a wall of text.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #768
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawker
Paragraphs are a good thing, my man. No one wants to read a wall of text.
Seriously. Also why are you still posting impressions of the demo in the retail version thread...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »