Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #769
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

first game with PC version(and not playing 2k8)...note to self DO NOT go straight to all-star...Santana,Sanchez,Putz and K-rod combine to surrender 39 hits and lose 29-0

I ran myself out of at least 2 inning due to just not totally understanding the baserunning yet.

Really not enjoying the fielding committed 8 errors and had several instances where the players just would not react to a ball in an intuitive manner

Had a ball get to the base of the wall in Citi Field and user controlled left fielder could not pick up the ball no matter what I did...double becomes inside the park home run...cpu Beltran comes over and picks up ball like it's nothing...argghhhh

Regardless of what some others have disputed from a certain troll in this thread, much to my chagrin I did have an instance of Delgado missing first base on a perfect throw that would have been the back half of a DP.Also had Castillo ignore(and yes I do mean IGNORE) a throw coming to him while covering first on a bunt

Biggest concern of the game...Soriano flies one down the line, ball goes foul....my left fielder suffers a finger injury on the play!?!From what picking his nose? pointing at the ball?I can tolerate alot, but frequent phantom injuries would be an absolute game-ender for me...will keep an eye on it

overall...game is alright..****ns smooth on my machine with 4xAA and everything else at it's highest setting...presentation is top-notch and seamless...htting and pitching are fun..I'll get used to the running...fielding needs a patch this year and the entire fielding system(animations, AI, etc.) needs to be rebuilt from the ground up for next year's version

definitely alot more pleased with this as a 20 dollar PC game than I would be as a 60 dollar next gen title

Last edited by nccomicfan; 03-03-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #770
Banned

OVR: 0

I played a game of NL Classics vs. AL Classics, and it was a lot of fun. I had Nolan ryan going for my NL team. Not sure why he gets slotted in the NL, but there he was.

If you want to see some cool Signature Stances, it is worth checking out. Joe Morgan wags is elbow. Willie Stargell flips the bat around like only her ever did. They just went out of their way to create these classic players.

And if you are a Cardinals fan, you get treated well, with Lou Brock, Ozzie smith, and Bruce Sutter.

Seriously, I would buy a Legends game in the same vain as APFB. It would be a blast.

I'm still getting plenty of called strikes even using the 3 step pitching. It's not close to enough for sim, but my pitchers are wearing down anyway. So I can live with that for now. It's videogame baseball, and it is a blast. Every bit, if not more fun than the old High Heat for the PC.

I played a game with the Cards vs. Yankees today on Legend. I got through to the fourth wit the score 1-1, using Lohse vs. Sabbathia. But then all hell broke loose, and I gave up four runs in each innnign the rest ofthe way, and got smacked 17-1. Not quite ready for Legend, and the Cards don't have much of a bullpen.

Next time I get the game out, I will try downloading sliders. I saw the Guru's are up. Can I assume that BigfnJoe's are up on 2K Share as well?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #771
Rookie

OVR: 14

Yeah, Cards pen is crap. I'm surprised that Perez even has an 80, though I guess that's low for a closer. I wonder if Bob Gibson is sitting somewhere on the NL Classics team. That would make my day.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #772
Rookie

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawker

Seriously, I would buy a Legends game in the same vain as APFB. It would be a blast.
Reading that again just struck me. It might not be possible for every team, but a lot of teams have such a rich history it'd be really cool to do a Legends game with each team's respective Legends.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #773
Pro

OVR: 11

I only had a chance to play ine game today because I have been really busy with work but all I can say after just one game is i absolutely LOVE IT! I was the Pirates at PNC park and beat the Orioles 6-1 in 9 innings. I played on all star with the batting cursor and adjusted the batting cam so it's level with the field! That view is awesome! I have seen a few AI querks but nothing so far makes me this this game is not a really good game. I also struck out 7 batters! The hitting varity is crazy cool as well. I increased the pitch speed a bit and it makes it that much better. Ok back to work and then gonna try to get a game in.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #774
Banned

~Guru~'s Arena

OVR: 16

Ok fellas...Just got home from work and fired it up...

Glad to see the new rosters are up and I will tweak some sliders based on the new roster set...

Anybody want to add me then go ahead....We can get some battles going...
Old 03-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #775
MVP

OVR: 10
Have played two games... some thoughts

Quick notes on the biggest issues... this is on All-Star

- CPU only getting to 80 pitches total.
- Have not yet seen one relief pitcher come in for the CPU (Beckett and Wang both went 9 innings, with no apparent affect from their fatigue)
- Power is extreme on default, had to change it to almost 0 for CPU.
- Need to find a balance between runner speed, fielder speed and fielder throwing power
- CPU refuses to throw balls, having to change the pitch effectiveness slider to very low.

- strikeouts at a decent number
- Slow downs, slow motion animations when running to catch a fly ball are a bit distracting, but done so you can judge the flight of the ball, so it doesn't bug me. You get used to it

Any help or comments are appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #776
Go Cougs!

WazzuRC's Arena

OVR: 26

Just picked this up at Gamestop...had a quick "business" meeting I had to leave the office for lol.

Looking forward to firing this game up after I hit the gym tonight!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »