Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #785
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

I gave in and purchased this game earlier today, and I just finished my first game. I got trounced 9-0 by the Indians, so you know I suck (haven't played a baseball game in a long time). I tried the "classic" pitching and got absolutely hammered. I learned my lesson mid-way through the game and switched to the right stick method and managed to pitch fairly well. I must say, I love the cursor hitting, even if I had trouble making contact. I haven't had this much batting since 2k3.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #786
Rookie

Pasdabru's Arena

OVR: 2

I've searched this thread and haven't found any mention of this yet, but I have two franchise related questions.

1. Is there no more Depth Chart option where you could set you depth chart at each position and specify what % of playing time you wanted for each player. I found this nice for simulated games and it appears to be gone.

2. I really don't care about this, but out of curiosity are GM goals still in the game, haven't found any reference to them in my franchise.

It's quite possible I've just overlooked these but if they do exist would appreciate someone letting me know where to find them. Thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #787
Rookie

I gave in and purchased this game earlier today, and I just finished my first game. I got trounced 9-0 by the Indians, so you know I suck (haven't played a baseball game in a long time). I tried the "classic" pitching and got absolutely hammered. I learned my lesson mid-way through the game and switched to the right stick method and managed to pitch fairly well. I must say, I love the cursor hitting, even if I had trouble making contact. I haven't had this much fun batting since 2k3.

That being said, I hate pitching because of the ultra-aggressive AI. And hate isn't too strong a word. I felt like throwing my controller through the TV watching the computer swing at everything. They took three pitches. Three frigging pitches in a nine inning game! Are you kidding me? I suppose I only have myself to blame for my frustration. I'm the idiot who decided to buy a broken game. All I can say is that I basically love most of the other aspects of the game. The presentation is great, the hitting feels realistic, and I haven't had any fielding issues yet.

Hopefully VC is reading our impressions and working on a fix as we speak. If they're not, I'm sorry to say, but I will be "boycotting" any and all future products from that company. That's coming from a VC/2k fanboy. I love 2k football and basketball, and I used to love this baseball series, but it's gotten out of control. This shoddy programming can't continue. 2k5 and 2k7 got played a few times and then collected dust. I really don't want that to be the case with 2k9. And my solution shouldn't have to be buying a PS3 for that other game. Shouldn't... but perhaps will.

Not that they'll listen, but here's my advice to VC on improving this game- go review the pitching from 2k7 (where the AI managed to take tons of strikes with no slider adjustments) and figure out what you changed to screw it up in 2k9. Revert to said pitching/plate discipline. Release a patch ASAP. Enjoy having customers actually respect you and buy your products in the future.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #788
Welcome

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

2k9 is much better then the reviews. The animations while not as good as the show's are still very nice IMO. The graphics are very good. Stadiums are beautiful, not overdone with the ads as the sky is falling crowd would have you believe. It's a huge leap over 2k8, both the pitching and hitting are improved,I love the control you have when fielding. I don't feel like I'm being helped to make a catch or a throw. Much better hit variety. The day night progression is really nice. The real time atmosphere is brilliant. The presentation is the best I have seen in any sports game to date. The cpu does take strikes. How this game could get a lower score than last year is beyond me, but oh well, it represents the sport of baseball very well IMO.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #789
Rookie

Sorry about the "double" post. I tried to delete it, but I can't seem to edit my posts. The spinny circle just spins forever and never loads anything.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #790
MVP

OVR: 13

I snagged my copy on my way to work today. I won't get off until midnight, but I look forward to adding my impressions late tonight or early tomorrow.

This place is blowing up, as it always does. I look forward to jumping into the full retail version. In the meantime, keep the impressions coming!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:52 PM   #791
Rookie

Pasdabru's Arena

OVR: 2

Generally liking this game, finally switched from classic to the current control scheme - mainly because the classic pitching is lacking this year as far as the pitch meter goes.

Anyway, anyone else came across this - I pinch hit for my pitcher and then subbed in the new pitcher in the next inning before I was prompted that i had a position player on the mound. However the game still decided to prompt me to replace my non-pitcher despite my setup man being in the game and I was unable to get out of the menu to sub until I put in an non-warmed up reliever to replace the pitcher I actually wanted on the mound. Then after which despite having not used my one mound visit I count not visit the mount after this occurrence.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #792
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
2k9 is much better then the reviews. The animations while not as good as the show's are still very nice IMO. The graphics are very good. Stadiums are beautiful, not overdone with the ads as the sky is falling crowd would have you believe. It's a huge leap over 2k8, both the pitching and hitting are improved,I love the control you have when fielding. I don't feel like I'm being helped to make a catch or a throw. Much better hit variety. The day night progression is really nice. The real time atmosphere is brilliant. The presentation is the best I have seen in any sports game to date. The cpu does take strikes. How this game could get a lower score than last year is beyond me, but oh well, it represents the sport of baseball very well IMO.

great song great impressions my friend!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »