Home

MLB 2K9 Post-Patch Impressions (360 & PS3 merged)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K9 Post-Patch Impressions (360 & PS3 merged) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #105
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: ***Official patch 2 impressions thread (PS3 only)***

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
I seriously can not believe after all the problems the title had, and all the efforts that have been made to fix it, and clearly enough people are saying the problems have been fixed, that people are still complaining that stances are not editable. What's more important? Editable stances or a player with a generic stance that performs with statistical accuracy?

I don't know... I'm a pretty picky guy and this doesn't bother me. When I'm trying to get on bases late in a playoff game after a long hard season, I could care less how my player is batting, I'm just trying to keep my eye on the ball.

Anyone agree with me?
It's really not about what's more important. I never understood this line of thinking. You have two things important to you, but because the more important one is fixed, it makes the other one meaningless? Just seems short-sighted to me, is all.

Locking the editing can ruin the experience for many people because it renders CAP useless due to lack of variety. Also, the editing lock makes it impossible to make accurate rosters. It's nothing new, of course, so there's no need to rehash everything that's wrong with these options not being available.

Certainly not the end of the world if the gameplay is fantastic, but that's not been the case either (pre-patch...can't speak on post-patch yet). The patch got people's hopes up (falsely IMO, since it was never mentioned as a possible fix) that editing may be possible.

Disappointments tend to get rehashed with each update to a game, it seems...lol. This is the main reason I'm glad I ended up with the PC version. It has a greater chance of being "unlocked" and having editing options opened up. There's already a roster editor in the works.

Again, I'm not saying editing is MORE important than what was fixed, but it's understandable that people are not happy about it not being available (though, as I said before, it's not a "new" issue, so I do agree that there's no point in rehashing it).

BTW, any word on the PC patch availability? I know Ron addressed the 360 version, but no mention of PC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #106
Glory to the Brave!

Guffers's Arena

OVR: 16

To clarify , the AI IS less aggressive but not realistically so, in my opinion. They don't appear to really work the count or look for a good pitch to hit. They take a few more strikes but more often than not will swing at a lousy pitch as long as its somewhere near the zone. I've also seen a lot of pitches well outside struck for a hit. Now I'm basing this on a game I had before where the CPU was sat down on 3 pitches in 3 seperate innings. This game also featured 6 HR's but no tragic outfielder incidents.

I really don't want to come off sounding like I'm bashing the game but for me the core of a baseball title needs to be the batter/pitcher duel. And it just doesn't feel like its there. I will give this game another chance tomorrow and hopefully something will click. I really love the controls and the presentation so I'm still holding out for a few more games.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #107
Pro

OVR: 8

For a game that has had as many complaints as it's had, I'm shocked the minimal amount of actual information in this topic as it relates to how this patch works.

I mean do like 20 people on this board have the PS3 version, and everyone else has 360/PC? And NO, that is not me asking every person to respond with what version they have. And yet people will do it anyway although I just asked them not to.

I'm anxiously awaiting the PC version patch, hopefully it solves most of the problems.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #108
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11
I am a bit nervous regarding the lack of focus/info on franchise mode adjustment in the patch...freezing, DL problems, etc.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #109
Pro

OVR: 8

Well the notes did say at the end that there were a lot of other little franchise specific corrections, perhaps those fixes involve solving the crashing issues.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #110
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580
Well the notes did say at the end that there were a lot of other little franchise specific corrections, perhaps those fixes involve solving the crashing issues.
I'm hoping so. He said that the fixes were small though, and the major ones were already listed. I would think a crash fix or freezing fix would have been mentioned. We'll see though.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #111
Pro

OVR: 6

can someone see if the AI still can't hit a 12-6 curve? take the redsox and beckett, and throw the 12-6 curve 80% of the time and see if they can hit it? I'm hoping the EI tweaking somehow fixed this, Id hate to be unable to throw a curve jsut because its a money pitch in frachise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffers
To clarify , the AI IS less aggressive but not realistically so, in my opinion. They don't appear to really work the count or look for a good pitch to hit. They take a few more strikes but more often than not will swing at a lousy pitch as long as its somewhere near the zone. I've also seen a lot of pitches well outside struck for a hit. Now I'm basing this on a game I had before where the CPU was sat down on 3 pitches in 3 seperate innings. This game also featured 6 HR's but no tragic outfielder incidents.

I really don't want to come off sounding like I'm bashing the game but for me the core of a baseball title needs to be the batter/pitcher duel. And it just doesn't feel like its there. I will give this game another chance tomorrow and hopefully something will click. I really love the controls and the presentation so I'm still holding out for a few more games.
this is what I was afraid of. I'm with you, a baseball game is only as good as its batter/pitcher gameplay. The AI should (more often than not) lay off hard to hit pitches unless theres 2 strikes, and look for something better to hit...instead of randomly taking pitches and then swinging crazily at others and balls well outside.

anyways, I hope to test these issues out soon on the 360 version....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #112
Rookie

OVR: 23

I got prompted for the patch as well last night and it looks like the AI aggressiveness is really fixed and I've noticed that there are less awful mishaps in the OF as well. That's not to say that they've been eliminated, but I've noticed that it seems to be toned down.

I also noticed that HR's are down.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »