Home

MLB 2K9 Post-Patch Impressions (360 & PS3 merged)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K9 Post-Patch Impressions (360 & PS3 merged) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #265
Banned

OVR: 23
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Official Patch 2 Available, Impressions Here (PS3 Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
Pre-patch: routine throws in the infield actually took some patience and skill; instead of accepting this and adjusting, gamers complained non-stop about the "glitches" with fielding (all of which are still there, proving it was never a "glitch" to being with; what has been done is that fielding is just easier now).

Post-patch: With almost all suspense removed, defense is downright boring. What, am I playing The Show?

Pre-patch: I thought pitching was perfect. To me, there was nothing like aiming a 2-seamer for the top-right corner and have it dart out of the zone at the last moment, or aiming a slider at someone's knee and have it break into the zone; but gamers complained it was too easy to hit your spots.

Post-patch: you can still throw a strike any time you want, so I'm not sure what was accomplished by making it so pitches tend to float 6-8 inches away from where you aimed them. I guess it's more "realistic" or something, but, from where I'm standing, now there's REALLY no reason to ever throw a ball. Why should I aim for the black (let alone someone's knee) if I really have no idea where the pitch is going to go? So, instead of trying to pinpoint my pitch where I want it to go, I'm trying to pinpoint my pitch having "corrected" for the new "realistic" inaccuracy. Huh? What? In other words, nothing's really any different except where I aim: i.e., I'm not walking more batters, I'm not throwing more balls, I'm not having any more or less success - so what just happened? Instead of aiming a pitch where I want, and taking my chances with that pitch, I'm aiming "somewhere else." Awesome!

Pre-patch: I never had any problems with AI batters being "too aggressive." They tended to swing at strikes and take balls; they also tended to take "good" strikes and swing at "good" balls. But apparently I'm an idiot, or have a special copy of the game, or something.

Post-patch: I don't see much difference here, truth be told, except for the fact that I have in my mind every time I think about throwing a ball, "the AI will take more balls" from the patch notes. So, there again, no reason to throw a ball.

Pre-patch: Something about too many home runs.
Post-patch: Well my team is last in the league in HRs, as well as first in the league in HR allowed, so ... here's to staying in both places.

And there's my impressions.

I'm half-kidding with some of this, as some of it just involves tweaking sliders. Overall, though, I definitely could have done without this patch, especially since it didn't do dick with any of my problems with Franchise mode.
This is a great post man. People complain because they are what they are and don't take the time to learn the controls. I never had any of these so called bugs happen either or the fielding issues that everyone complained about. I agree it's too bad because we are going to end up with a bunch of dumb downed games which i think is a shame. this game has issues at its core, but the learning curve was not one of them. From the sounds of the patch they got some stuff working the way it should(the walk ratings are now correct and reflected correctly in gameplay, this was obviously locked on release because it wasnt finished) but they also are dumbing these games down beyond belief at this point to make a bunch of people happy that shouldn't even be playing these games imo. I know that's kind of mean, but it's also kind of true. This actually had some depth to it and a learning curve and that's why i liked it. I had the cpu taking strikes and was setting my feet and getting in good position to make catches and plays and it was rewarding that way.I would either just miss for a ball or i would throw to get the cpu to chase for strikeouts. sometimes they would. sometimes they wouldnt which lead to good battles and pitch counts at the plate. If that's been changed that disapointing.

Last edited by kGinGreen; 04-04-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #266
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Official Patch 2 Available, Impressions Here (PS3 Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino13882
Dude, grow up. You have provided nothing at all to this thread, plus I thought you said you were leaving. All you are doing is trolling so seriously just leave.
Yeah, he's just trolling now.

Anyways, i can finally start playing online and i wouldnt mind joining a league soon here. lol
Old 04-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #267
Pro

dansaint's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Official Patch 2 Available, Impressions Here (360 Only)

My only issue is that the aggressivness still seems to be there.

Cubs/Orioles game I played earlier

Roberts and Jones swung and hit the 1st two pitches Zambrano threw.

A splitter on the inside corner to Roberts and A 2 seamer going away from Jones. Both grounded out to 3B...but I was hoping at least with not a fastball down the middle, I was hoping they'd at least take the pitch.

Not a game killer for me...but kind of annoying is all.

Just wish they'd bring back the CPU Take Pitches slider they had in the game last year.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #268
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Official Patch 2 Available, Impressions Here (360 Only)

I played a full post-patch game a little while ago -- that in itself is saying something for me, as I struggled to make it through an entire game pre-patch. I think I can safely say that it is now at least playable for me, however I need to spend some time with the game to see if it'll get some real action through the summer.

It still seemed that the AI batters were a bit over-aggressive, but I certainly saw improvment. I allowed 12 hits through 5+ with Ian Snell, but only 2 in the final 3+ with my relievers... which tells me that some of my problems lie with MY pitching. I think I finally figured out the classic pitching -- I think most of those early hits were from not putting enough power into my pitch. I really do like that if you don't execute your pitch, you will miss your spots. I actually walked two guys (and one IBB for Pujols).

Offensively I struggled, but I haven't played in two weeks or so and didn't even play much before that so it's to be expected. I'm using the "zone" hitting, which is quite rewarding... if I could just make a little more contact. 12 strikeouts I think, not very good. I did draw five walks...

As I said, the game appears to be playable for me now, just need to spend some time to get better with pitching & hitting. I had no issues in field whatsoever.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #269
Rookie

OVR: 1
Dumb question: How do I locate the patch so I can download it. I am on Xbox Live - checked out Market place and other locations and I cannot find it....
Old 04-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #270
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
How do you delete a patch?

Seriously...
Oh, no, its that bad? I hope you're not serious, but if you are here's what you do: LB RB xx LB RB at hard drive screen after pressing Y when it is in view. It will ask you if you want to perform maintenance then answer Y. It clears the entire cache and gets rid of all your patches, so you have to reload the ones you want.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #271
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingchicks
Dumb question: How do I locate the patch so I can download it. I am on Xbox Live - checked out Market place and other locations and I cannot find it....
Just load up the game (while on LIVE) and you'll receive a message that the game is receiving an update. Automatic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #272
Rookie

topgundie's Arena

OVR: 3

[quote=BadKermit;2039383676]
Quick question. I noticed in the 2K9 demo that when Pat Burrell came up to bat in Philly, the crowd booed him and Thorne made a comment like, "Listen to the reaction for this guy." I hadn't noticed that at all in probably 50 games before the patch. In my very first post-patch game, Torii Hunter came to the plate in Minnesota and got the same reaction. Maybe it's coincidence, but has anyone noticed that?

i noticed something like that. when i was at the Metrodome they said that they wondered how the twins will be in their new open-air stadium because the dome has been such a big home field advantage. never hear that in 30 plus games at the dome.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »