Home

MLB 2K9 Post-Patch Impressions (360 & PS3 merged)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K9 Post-Patch Impressions (360 & PS3 merged) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #329
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Official Patch 2 Available, Impressions Here (360 Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
Just installed the patch.

Positives:

The animations seem much smoother, especially the batter walkups.

Outfield plays are smoother.

No more 1st base glitch.

Pickoffs are much better now.

Negatives:

AI seems a little less aggressive, but still too aggressive. However, I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that I probably suck at the gestures I turned the gesture slider down and it seems better, but still not quite right. I also tried switching to classic pitching and that didn't help either. I'm still getting low pitch counts and not very many strikeouts, even though I'm nibbling the corners.

Maybe sliders will help? I'm just using stock All Star right now.
I agree the AI stll is too aggressive at the plate.

Also the games take forever to complete. 45 minutes to an hour.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #330
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Official Patch 2 Available, Impressions Here (360 Only)

At first, I thought the computer was way too aggressive (still). I think that less the more I play and my pitching gestures get more consistent.

It's still not perfect, and I won't claim it is. I do think it's a big improvement, though. It makes the game far more playable than it had been.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:38 PM   #331
Rookie

jbrown's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown
I have played 5 post patch games with some tweaks to the default legend sliders. I still have to get the hitting sliders a little better but here are my results. (I lost all 5 games). I am Boston.

Game #1
R H E
Red Sox 2 4 1
---------------------
Blue Jays 4 12 0

Game #2
R H E
Red Sox 2 10 0
---------------------
Blue Jays 3 7 0

Game #3
R H E
Red Sox 0 7 0
---------------------
Rangers 4 9 0

Game #4
R H E
Red Sox 4 9 2
---------------------
Rangers 7 10 0

Game #5
R H E
Red Sox 2 8 2
---------------------
Rangers 5 7 0

To me it is good overall on the CPU offense side. I just need to work on the HUM offense side.

Just finished my 6th game.

R H E
Orioles 2 5 0
---------------------
Red Sox 3 13 0

I tied it up on a rbi single by Baldelli scoring Bay in the bottom of the 9th. Then won it (first win post patch) with a gapper by Ortiz scoring ellsbury from second in the bottom of the 10th.

I had 9 k's and 2 walks with beckett in 7 innings giving up 2 earned runs. Delcarmen pitched 2 scoreless innings with 2 k's and 1 walk and Saito pitched a perfect 10th.

I walked once each with Ortiz, Bay and Varitek.

I struck out once each with Ortiz, Youklis, Lowell and Baldelli.

I stole one base with Ellsbury.

I hit two doubles.

Two of the five hits I gave up with becket were extra base hits. A double by Wiggington and a triple with Jones.

Overall it was a very fun game to play. I felt my self getting tense in the bottom of the 9th with two outs before I tied it up. Then a sigh of relief.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #332
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown
Also I have a little problem in my franchise after the patch. I have two brad penny's and two jon lester's. The fatigue is always the same for both of them. Just kind of quirky if you ask me. I haven't tried to do anything to get rid of "extras yet". Just weird.
You have to turn the cloning option off from the main menu.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #333
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_OS
I agree the AI stll is too aggressive at the plate.

Also the games take forever to complete. 45 minutes to an hour.
do you use quick play mode, I tried a game and it took much less time, but, I like the presentation too much to use it.

NCAA basketball 10:
Toledo Rockets 17-7 (7-1)

NCAA Football:
Toledo Rockets 13-1/ 14-0/14-0/14-0 back to back National Champs
Old 04-05-2009, 01:06 AM   #334
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Official Patch 2 Available, Impressions Here (PS3 Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
Pre-patch: routine throws in the infield actually took some patience and skill; instead of accepting this and adjusting, gamers complained non-stop about the "glitches" with fielding (all of which are still there, proving it was never a "glitch" to being with; what has been done is that fielding is just easier now).

Post-patch: With almost all suspense removed, defense is downright boring. What, am I playing The Show?

Pre-patch: I thought pitching was perfect. To me, there was nothing like aiming a 2-seamer for the top-right corner and have it dart out of the zone at the last moment, or aiming a slider at someone's knee and have it break into the zone; but gamers complained it was too easy to hit your spots.

Post-patch: you can still throw a strike any time you want, so I'm not sure what was accomplished by making it so pitches tend to float 6-8 inches away from where you aimed them. I guess it's more "realistic" or something, but, from where I'm standing, now there's REALLY no reason to ever throw a ball. Why should I aim for the black (let alone someone's knee) if I really have no idea where the pitch is going to go? So, instead of trying to pinpoint my pitch where I want it to go, I'm trying to pinpoint my pitch having "corrected" for the new "realistic" inaccuracy. Huh? What? In other words, nothing's really any different except where I aim: i.e., I'm not walking more batters, I'm not throwing more balls, I'm not having any more or less success - so what just happened? Instead of aiming a pitch where I want, and taking my chances with that pitch, I'm aiming "somewhere else." Awesome!

Pre-patch: I never had any problems with AI batters being "too aggressive." They tended to swing at strikes and take balls; they also tended to take "good" strikes and swing at "good" balls. But apparently I'm an idiot, or have a special copy of the game, or something.

Post-patch: I don't see much difference here, truth be told, except for the fact that I have in my mind every time I think about throwing a ball, "the AI will take more balls" from the patch notes. So, there again, no reason to throw a ball.

Pre-patch: Something about too many home runs.
Post-patch: Well my team is last in the league in HRs, as well as first in the league in HR allowed, so ... here's to staying in both places.

And there's my impressions.

I'm half-kidding with some of this, as some of it just involves tweaking sliders. Overall, though, I definitely could have done without this patch, especially since it didn't do dick with any of my problems with Franchise mode.
Good post, I'm pretty much feeling the same way. All I really cared about was the OF issue and being able to pick runners off 2nd base too easily.. everything else felt great.

I'll give it some more time, but it's early impressions for me is it's not as fun.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:57 AM   #335
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm getting more strikeouts now. I was trying to nibble the corners on the first pitch, which was resulting in a lot of first pitch hits, but it seems the AI is more likely to take the first pitch if it's right down the pipe (go figure)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2009, 02:21 AM   #336
Rookie

OVR: 7

anyone notice the cleats are different?

and we have an interracial umping crew now! it's not dominated by whites! except like previous years, the black umpire has white arms. looks weird!

(Follow me on Twitter!)
http://www.twitter.com/Jerm_Weiner[b]

-I run on Red Sox, Celtics, and Patriots.
-MLB 2K, NBA 2K, and Madden fan only.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »