Home

MLB 2K9 Post-Patch Impressions (360 & PS3 merged)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K9 Post-Patch Impressions (360 & PS3 merged) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-05-2009, 02:55 AM   #337
N.W.O. - NO WR OPEN

Checmate101's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Official Patch 2 Available, Impressions Here (360 Only)

Havne't played the game since this morning, my tv has been ate up by the kids. So have the progression lighting been fixed. I read from a poster that he think it has. Anybody else notice it?
Uconn Huskies
Miami Hurricanes
Old 04-05-2009, 04:12 AM   #338
I <3 My Jordycakes

Padgoi's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Official Patch 2 Available, Impressions Here (360 Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_OS
I agree the AI stll is too aggressive at the plate.

Also the games take forever to complete. 45 minutes to an hour.
I respect your opinion and no offense when I say this, but it's comments like this EXACT ONE that make people like Brinkman say stupid **** like, "the games are too long so we're gonna make the CPU throw all strikes and swing at everything." Everyone was complaining about unrealistic pitch counts and over-aggressive CPU hitters, you can't have it both ways. Either the game takes 45 minutes and you get realism or the game takes 20 and each team throws 50 pitches per game. I think we would ALL prefer realism so again, no offense but we don't need comments like this giving the programmers the wrong ideas.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #339
Pro

zpq12's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
I respect your opinion and no offense when I say this, but it's comments like this EXACT ONE that make people like Brinkman say stupid **** like, "the games are too long so we're gonna make the CPU throw all strikes and swing at everything." Everyone was complaining about unrealistic pitch counts and over-aggressive CPU hitters, you can't have it both ways. Either the game takes 45 minutes and you get realism or the game takes 20 and each team throws 50 pitches per game. I think we would ALL prefer realism so again, no offense but we don't need comments like this giving the programmers the wrong ideas.
Exactly.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:28 AM   #340
Closer

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Official Patch 2 Available, Impressions Here (PS3 Only)

Since the patch having a lot of fun.

Had a pitchers duel Jake Peavy vs. Roy Oswalt in Petco. Astros won 2-1.

Next game was completely different. Rangers vs. Indians in Arlington. Sure tell a difference in how the parks played. At Arlington the ball jumped out of the park. Indians win 11-7.

Here's my first highlight.

http://community.2ksports.com/commun...?mediaid=30639

Last edited by bkrich83; 04-05-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #341
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansaint
My only issue is that the aggressivness still seems to be there.

Cubs/Orioles game I played earlier

Roberts and Jones swung and hit the 1st two pitches Zambrano threw.

A splitter on the inside corner to Roberts and A 2 seamer going away from Jones. Both grounded out to 3B...but I was hoping at least with not a fastball down the middle, I was hoping they'd at least take the pitch.

Not a game killer for me...but kind of annoying is all.

Just wish they'd bring back the CPU Take Pitches slider they had in the game last year.

I just happen to be playing the orioles now (why i'm commenting) and I got Roberts to take a first pitch fastball on the inside corner and a second pitch curve on the outside corner to start himself 0-2... Pie, the next guy up, took first pitch curve on the inside corner.

I think everyone is getting different results (my buddy was just complaining that the AI agressiveness was no different)... the only explanation for that has got to be the gestures and the sliders being used to influence that part of the game. I definitely see a difference, post patch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #342
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown
I have baserunner speed at 90 and I have only stolen 1 out of 6 bases with ellsbury. I think you HAVE TO steal on an off speed pitch. All 6 of my attempts were on fastballs or pitch outs. The only one that was successful was on a bad throw.
Getting thrown out on a pitch out I can understand. We should still be able to steal on a FB. I find myself only being able to to steal during certain pitchers wind-ups. Which is fine for someone w/ mariginal good speed i.e. 70/75, but someone like Rollins or Victorino or Ellsbury - who can steal on just about anyone - shouldn't have to pick these specific battles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverandblack
I just happen to be playing the orioles now (why i'm commenting) and I got Roberts to take a first pitch fastball on the inside corner and a second pitch curve on the outside corner to start himself 0-2... Pie, the next guy up, took first pitch curve on the inside corner.

I think everyone is getting different results (my buddy was just complaining that the AI agressiveness was no different)... the only explanation for that has got to be the gestures and the sliders being used to influence that part of the game. I definitely see a difference, post patch.
I've noticed A LOT of the agressiveness comes from the team you're playing, AND the batters success in PREVIOUS ABs.

For instance, playing the Nats yesterday Lastings Milledge came up in his 1st AB taking pitches. However, after being retired twice in the game and getting into counts which favored me the pitcher I noticed he started hacking on his third AB. Maybe I'm looking too deep into things, but I've seen this kind of dynamic w/ other batters too. Another one in that same game was Elijah Dukes.

Dukes was getting behind in the count taking piches, and I struck him out his 1st two ABs. On the third AB he had a runner on the corners, and was hacking at everything - it worked too as he crushed a double to clear the bases and give WAS a 3-2 lead; they won 5-2.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #343
Rookie

OVR: 6

I started a franchise yesterday with the Braves and was getting good results in game 1 (default All Star). I held a 2-1 lead thru the 5th inning when Lowe started to come apart a bit. His pitches are TOUGH to locate since he doesn't have a straight fastball and EVERY pitch of his has movement.

Philly took a 6-2 lead and I was able to cut it to 6-3 in the 7th. Well, I come up in the 8th inning with the bottom of my order and go down 1-2-3 and the game ENDS. Get the usual cut scenes and end game stuff, all the while i'm going WTF, did I just space out???

I go back to the box score, and sure enough Philly pitchers have 8 IP while my pitchers have logged 7. Loving the results of the patch, but to have this happen in game one of my franchise is mystifying. Out of the 25 or so exhibition games I've played with this game I'd never had this happen yet.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #344
MVP

OVR: 13

Played a wonderful game last night, Red Sox vs. Rays.

Use Inside Edge, throw to cold zones, throw balls on purpose and throw pitches hitters have a hard time hitting. I did that, and here was Jon Lester's pitching line:

7IP, 6K, 1BB, 6 Hits, 2 Runs, 97 pitches.

I'm thrilled. Pitching successfully is hard, and I appreciate the challenge.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »