Home

MLB 2K9 Post-Patch Impressions (360 & PS3 merged)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K9 Post-Patch Impressions (360 & PS3 merged) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #425
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Official Patch 2 Available, Impressions Here (360 Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
I think they finally got home runs right. I have hit about 5 in my last 3 games. The ones i hit were not 550 ft shots by Casey Blake either. Though he did hit one, but it was accurate.

So much more realistic at least online with this patch.
I know he mentioned home run distances.....but does the game measure home run distances? I don't see it anywhere,,,,or was he just making a point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #426
goh
Banned

OVR: 37
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Official Patch 2 Available, Impressions Here (360 Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface
Can someone try and explain to me why it is that if a person hates to eat at McDonalds, they would continue to stay at McDonalds and complain about why they don't like it? The hamburgers are soggy, the fries are no good, the soda is watered down, the floor is dirty..... and yet, instead of just LEAVING and heading on over to Wendys, they insist on letting all the patrons at McDonalds know why they don't like to eat there.

Some people like McDonalds, and some people like Wendys. Some people know full well that Wendys make a better burger, and that the presentation is much better, but some of us are not driving over to Wendys just to buy one hamburger, and are content with dressing up our inferior burger with various condiments, and enjoying it the best we can.
Because there is no Wendy's. Unless this was directed at PS3 users specifically.

Anyway I'm not impressed at all,took some notes:

AI throws more balls,got my second ever walk.

Hits seem more varied.

Umps still suck.

Finally pulled off a double play.

Switch hitter frozen fielder glitch NOT fixed.

At least one base running glitch NOT fixed. (had sent to steal,fly ball,was told to return to 1st but got stuck and had some sort of problem at 2nd having some sort of seziure instead then eventually returns.)

AI hitters even worse! Swinging at even MORE terrible pitches. Only resulted in even more hits,a lot more grounders/flyballs and a lot less strikeouts.

First baseman didn't come off the bag.

No errors at all wich was a suprise with all the ground balls from the even worse AI.

4 hit batters?! 1 by me (was aiming at the lower corner of the zone) and 3 by the AI.

Pitches less accurate overall.

Top 3 plays didn't pick some random RBI single this game.

Still came up saying my player was injured after the game,simming ahead he healed up finally.

Pics still missing from MLB.com headlines page in franchise.

Still picking terrible choices for pitchers of the week both in rookies and main players and players of the month as well.

Classic hitting HR problem NOT fixed based on batting practice.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:18 AM   #427
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface
Can someone try and explain to me why it is that if a person hates to eat at McDonalds, they would continue to stay at McDonalds and complain about why they don't like it? The hamburgers are soggy, the fries are no good, the soda is watered down, the floor is dirty..... and yet, instead of just LEAVING and heading on over to Wendys, they insist on letting all the patrons at McDonalds know why they don't like to eat there.

Some people like McDonalds, and some people like Wendys. Some people know full well that Wendys make a better burger, and that the presentation is much better, but some of us are not driving over to Wendys just to buy one hamburger, and are content with dressing up our inferior burger with various condiments, and enjoying it the best we can.

So for those that love a delicious, satisfying Wendys' burger, we get it. Enjoy it. and please close the door tightly on the way out.

syf
I like the analogy, but I think it is a little off. (If this is an MLB 09 vs. 2k9 analogy)
Wendys will be 2k9
MLB will be 09
You see, there are two resturants. Wendys and McDonalds. I myself love nuggets, burgers, and ice cream.
I go to McDonalds because they have great nuggets and great ice cream. I don't like their burgers, but I can only go to one resturant so I complain about the burgers until they improve. I wish I could get better burgers, but I am not willing to sacrafice my ice cream and nuggets by going to Wendy's to get those burgers. Like you said, I will have to make due with my crap burgers and put a crapload of condiments on them.

I guess the only difference is that the McDonalds (although this is not true in real life) would need to have great fries, nice floors, and good soda that Wendy's does not have.

If anyone is not following this analogy well, McDonalds is 360. PS3=Wendy's

*None of the information in this post is made out to resemble or oppose my views or the quality of the products featured. Viewer Discretion is advised.

@CDonkey26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Yeah, she may be a bit of a beotch, but you get back to me when you find out a way to motorboat personality...
Old 04-07-2009, 01:32 AM   #428
Pro

blackscorpion11's Arena

OVR: 13
I play legends level only, since the download, the 1st baseman glitch seems gone, but theres still a ctcher's glitch doing the same thing..letting runners slide in safe when they should be out by a mile. The cpu beat me in some fun and entertaining games.. I noticed the cpu gets obscure HR's from guys not known for having pop. The pick-offs seem fixed. I think there is way too much hitting and not enough pitching on every level except legend.. As for balls and strikes and the cpu swinging wildly, i know if i hang any pitch over the plate the cpu will pound it..so i really dont care about them swinging at the 1st,2nd or 3rd pitch.. As long as the game is balanced ...batting vs pitching...user vs cpu ai. And it seems to be balanced to me. (legend only)
Old 04-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #429
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpion11
I play legends level only, since the download, the 1st baseman glitch seems gone, but theres still a ctcher's glitch doing the same thing..letting runners slide in safe when they should be out by a mile. The cpu beat me in some fun and entertaining games.. I noticed the cpu gets obscure HR's from guys not known for having pop. The pick-offs seem fixed. I think there is way too much hitting and not enough pitching on every level except legend.. As for balls and strikes and the cpu swinging wildly, i know if i hang any pitch over the plate the cpu will pound it..so i really dont care about them swinging at the 1st,2nd or 3rd pitch.. As long as the game is balanced ...batting vs pitching...user vs cpu ai. And it seems to be balanced to me. (legend only)
Are you using the 'RB' button for plays at the plate? It took me a while to realize that the catcher wouldn't make even easy plays at the plate without the RB button. No clue why they made this different from every other base.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #430
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22

How are the injuries now after patch #2?
Did they address them at all?

Allright I got in 2 games last night after downloading the 2nd patch and the newest roster set. All I can say is I am really surprised how well the game played!
I was playing it in front of 4 of my buddies and they really enjoyed the game also. (We were waiting for the UNC Mich St blowout to start!)
Anyway the animations are so much smoother now after the 2nd patch. My OFers dont slow down now when chasing a fly ball. My first basemen never once pulled his foot off 1st.
And it is alot harder to pitch now, I can not throw a perfect pitch everytime anymore! Also I was able to hit a few HRS with non HR hitters. I hit one with Hairston and one with Dickerson my first game with the Reds. I also hit one with Alex Gonzalez the 2nd game. I had been playing a season with the Reds prior to the patch and after 40 games none of these 3 guys had hit one HR.
Also the Reds uni's are now currect on the game, before they had a number on the front of their jerseys. In real life there is no # on the front of their jersey, these #'s are now gone.
I know if was only 2 games but again this game is much better after these 2 patches.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #431
MVP

Spongedaddy's Arena

OVR: 10

I am happy with the patch so far

+ AI hitters are taking pitches including two strikeouts looking.

+ AI pitchers are throwing balls. Pre-patch it seemed like they threw 95% strikes.

+ Outfielders seem to respond better. There is still a bit of slowdown, but that seems to be an animation glitch.

+ Pitching is more challenging and makes you judge breaks. I like that a lot.

- Online still seems to have too many dingers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #432
MVP

OVR: 34

I think this game plays positively excellent on legend difficulty.

For me, I thought that my hitters were just overly weakened, so all i did was input the user all-star difficulty hitting settings, and left everything at default legend.

For my skill level, it works perfect. The CPu mixes its pitches, better, locates better, so that keeps me honest, but still rewards me for smart hitting, without the beer league softball effect of all star.

The only thing that I feel is out of wack for the user offensively is the difficulty in stealing bases. I basically have to anticipate breaking ball, to have a chance, and if I am wrong, hope for a bad throw, late call...or for the dang ump to make the right call when I am CLEARLY safe.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »