Home

Old 03-31-2010, 10:27 AM   #833
MVP

BIG CAROLINA's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Official MLB 2K10 Impressions (360/PS3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I have to say this about MLB 2K10. For anyone reviewing this game it's very difficult to grade. We've got no errors, injuries, fatigue and AI issues. I think the graphics and animations need work. I think the fielding is way too automated and is simply bad. It's not really a sim product imo. Despite all these problems it is fun to play. I don't know if I've ever played a game this long that had this many issues but was still enjoyable.

Will I still be playing regularly in one or two months? I'm not sure although it's unlikely unless the patch cleans up some things. Flawed products eventually annoy you.
Rudy I feel the same exact way man. This game is a patch away from being really good. But the issues mentioned above along with catchers not tagging runners on close plays at the plate can be really annoying.

With that in mind I am still 6 games deep in my franchise and loving every minute of it. I am just testing out a combo of sliders that are posted here in a dummy franchise and getting great results with the swing stick.

I will keep testing (playing the game) until we see what happens after the next patch. I may actually be able to play a full season for once. In one word for this game........ Arcade-ulation. Mainly arcade but sprinkled with sim.

PSN: BIG_CAROLINA

"Life is too short for a man to hold bitterness in his heart."
Marshall W. "Major" Taylor

Last edited by BIG CAROLINA; 03-31-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:42 AM   #834
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Are you sure that's how you feel Helli lol?
In all honesty I think I feel more like you do. it's just that the problems with the game are eating at me. I'm doing a pitching career and I think I'm gonna remain in the minors (not meet my goals) for another full season in AAA and hope for a patch...

I have a question for you since you're actually reading... Do you struggle to get "perfect" pitches like I do with the meter? I get one every 4th start or so.

As the pitcher, is it possible to know how the defense is playing (i.e. for a bunt, double play, outfield alignment, etc?)

Here are some other complaints and some faint praise..., cut and pasted from my career thread that I have.

Great... I already see huge problems with this game/my player mode as a pitcher. The team saw fit to give me my first start. Pitched well. A 7th inning double play allowed me to go through 7 without allowing any runs, and got the win after scuffling in the 8th. Pitched a perfect inning in the 9th to win the game 5-2. I have zero stamina, and the manager let me go the whole game without taking me out despite the fact that I was clearly on the ropes in the 8th. Makes no sense. (since then I've figured out that just fatigue in general isn't a factor... They "accounted" for this by making the pitch meter increase in speed throughout the game but don't take you out of the fahking game...)

Start vs. the Corpus Christi Hooks. Had a three-pitch inning in the 5th. Another "WTF" situation in this one. Pitched 7 strong innings, got a base hit when they left me in to hit in the top of the 8th, then got yanked before pitching in the bottom half and the team lost the game in extra innings. Uh... Nice managing!...

this game is awful... **** like the 2nd baseman getting a ground ball with the runner from 1st base coming right at him, and he doesn't tag the runner he throws to 2nd to kill a chance at a double play. Atrocious. the third baseman catching a ball right at him, again in a double play situation, then wildly jumping and throwing on the run as if he had been made to dive for the ball. Utterly embarrassing. An opponent hitting a soft one to the right fielder... then getting thrown out at first... UGH. ...

Quick note: I've had about 15 at bats and not had a cpu pitcher throw me a single ball. WTF??? I haven't given up a single home run in 7 games. NICE!!! When runners get a single, they don't even stay in foul territory when running through the bag? WHAT.. THE... EFF? It seems like these guys don't even know the rules of baseball. Thank god the pitching interface is fun, otherwise this game is completely worthless...

One thing I will say about the pitch meter is you never have any clue how fast it's going to move. Usually in the early going it's pretty predictable but allow one baserunner late in the game and the stretch delivery motion is unbelievably fast. I like this, and the shaky aiming in the clutch moments, because it makes it difficult enough for me to struggle with a pitching system that I sometimes dominate with. This part of the game is done really well and is keeping me coming back for more at the moment...

Gave up my first homer, a 2-run bomb to center in the first inning. Not a good way to start the game. This a good pitching system, I simply couldn't throw my curve for **** which hasn't been a problem most of the time. Very realistic....
Old 03-31-2010, 10:55 AM   #835
Jerami Grant - boom!

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I don't often "max" out the meter but I'm usually close and that's good enough. After learning how to pitch I have found gesture pitching too easy to hit your spots. I'm only talking about MLB pitchers though as I don't do the MyPlayer stuff. I'd love it if they made ratings matter more in the patch for accuracy. The stretch does make the meter move faster and fatigue does a lot too. It kind of throws you off when you put in a reliever late in the game and the meter seems like it's moving at a snail's pace.

As for your other AI issues, yes I've seen pretty much all that stuff. The AI in terms of pitcher substitutions is simply bad, maybe broken. I've seen the cpu not tag runners right by them and worse yet simply throw to first on obvious double plays. I'm not sure why they do that since they seem to make the right decision most of the time. Then I see the cpu throw home with the bases loaded and two out on a routine grounder. I don't get it. And the catcher not trying to tag the runner on close plays is bad. Thank goodness I don't see it often.

There are a lot of things to patch. I just hope they can fix some of the things but I expect most of the stuff to be tackled for MLB 2K11. It's a long list. Slider tweaks do help a lot but they can't fix core issues.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #836
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAROLINA
Rudy I feel the same exact way man. This game is a patch away from being really good. But the issues mentioned above along with catchers not tagging runners on close plays at the plate can be really annoying.
Figured out how to get the players to apply tags. Someone over at the 2k fourm mentioned how last year RB would apply the tag, and it does this year too. You have to HOLD the RB button to get the catcher to apply the tag. This also works on plays at 3rd base(haven't had any plays at 2nd yet).
Old 04-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #837
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Official MLB 2K10 Impressions (***/***)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****776
Figured out how to get the players to apply tags. Someone over at the 2k ****m mentioned how last year RB would apply the tag, and it does this year too. You have to HOLD the RB button to get the catcher to apply the tag. This also works on plays at 3rd base(haven't had any plays at 2nd yet).
You'd think they'd have that in the instruction manual or at least on the in-game controls list. VC has to get on the proverbial ball with some of these exclusions, seriously.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #838
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Official MLB 2K10 Impressions (***/***)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberOneRB
You'd think they'd have that in the instruction manual or at least on the in-game controls list. VC has to get on the proverbial ball with some of these exclusions, seriously.
I'm still trying to figure out how to pitch out and have the catcher snap throw to first. I've tried what I've read here in the forums and nothing works.

There is a slider for catcher pick offs (I think I saw one), but what's the good in it if I can't snap throw? I'm confused on that one.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 04-03-2010, 12:37 AM   #839
MVP

OVR: 46

Quote:
Slider tweaks do help a lot but they can't fix core issues.
theres sliders in 2k10-?

i am with you, i have never played a game this long that was this incomplete and buggy.
yet here i am
i think its the change of pace from The Show

true, the 2nd patch [1st for ps3] will tell all.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #840
Pro

OVR: 7

Will there be a PS3 patch?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »