Home

Old 03-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #241
Pro

OVR: 13
Re: Official MLB 2K10 Impressions (360/PS3)

Geez, I sure hope that Wright's helmet is edited to a more normal sized one. I think he only wore that helmet for a few days last season. Can we get a screen shot of it in mlb2k10?

BigBlue
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #242
Jerami Grant - boom!

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Chase has a nice little write-up on his blog. Check it out - http://www.osatwork.com/MMChrisS/blo...t-impressions/. I'm sticking with my pre-order and will find out for myself tonight.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #243
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
After playing all night, This game is really good this year, I own both the show and 2k since yesterday and I could not put 2k down, crazy huh. I think they did a very good job this year, most importantly the game play has exceeded my expectations more then I thought it would have. Franchise mode is just flat out DEEP, I think many gamers will be impressed by it and come away very satisfied. I didn't think I would, but I love the swing stick this year. Thus game is just fun. The graphics are nice, some of the stadiums look really awesome.
FF - Can you confirm whether or not we can hire/fire a manager and staff? This wasn't in last year, and I haven't seen any report on any of this to date. Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #244
Rookie

OVR: 4

Just got the game and played a few games in

Some thoughts:

- The game play smooth like every one stated
- No replay hiccups like last year
- The stat tracking is crazy in this game, there is a stat for a lot of occasions ( e.g., on a 1-1 count so and so hit this average and HR, etc)

- Ball and strike ratios are shown from time and time on the screen (Which I like)

- Commentary is incredible
-Presentation and Graphics is WAY better than last year (don;t knwo what the IGN reviewer saw)

- There is a drilling training mode to practice (Which I like as well)

- You can paint the corners finally.

Since I play only in classic mode, I will talk about that more

- Its WAYYY to easy to pitch in classic mode.....I'm not fond of it to be honest. You just hold it down to match the outside part and that's it. There is no longer a 2 part movement where you used to press A to hold it down for power, let it go, and press A again for control.

Its just press A to max your effort and that's it. I recommend everyone to speed the meter to 100 OR 90 if you are planning to pitch in classic mode. Because the default speed it too easy to max your pitches.

-I think I found a glitch and it has to do with the pitcher running to the base to cover 1st base. Its no longer a pre-determined animation anymore....you and the CPU control the pitcher to make the tag on 1st base. However, the CPU mostly stand there instead of going to the bag.

- There is a weird throwing animation from past 2k baseball games that have returned.....The animation where the fielder throw a ball straight but the animation have his arm pass his chest---kinda going sideways. It looks bad.

Just a quick impression and I am overall impressed......Got to go to work so I shall give it more time when I come back.

Last edited by skinz; 03-02-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #245

DaveDQ's Arena

OVR: 34

I just popped the game in and did a quick play game with the Red Sox (me) vs the Orioles. I didn't change anything, just played 9 innings. Things played out nicely. It seems like it's tougher to steal than it was in the demo. Elsbury got picked twice. I really feel that the key to fielding is loading up your throws. Things just play out more natural when you do that. Pitching stats played out nicely. Guthrie pitched for the O's. After letting up 5 runs on 7 hits in the 6th, he was pulled. I managed 3 homeruns (Pedroia 1 , Martinez 2). Lester was pitching for Boston. He pitched 8 innings with 5 hits. Not a bad pitch count, could have been higher (sorry, I didn't get the stats).

I played a night game, and my overall feeling for the graphics are slightly above average. I'm rather bothered that jaggies appear around the mound in in places of the field. I understand why this was done (frame rate). It's just something that I feel should look better, smoother. Fenway looks great. The shadows and gradients in the stands really make things pop. I just wish the field looked a little better.

The horrible outfielding from years past has been fixed. Players get into position without last minute adjustments being needed. I also feel the CPU batting is much improved. I played on PRO and saw several strikes being taken. Those two things were very important for me to believe I could enjoy this year's game.

I had a very nice situation play out on a grounder to first. The CPU first baseman took the grounder with the pitcher on his way to first. First base tossed it to the pitcher. The pitcher, knowing he couldn't get to the base tag in time changed motion to the runner and placed the tag for the out. I have it save but the 2K servers were down for upload.

Overall the game plays nicely. I'd like to see a little more smoothness in player models and on the field. That was the one thing that stood out to me. One more thing...the commentary is excellent. In particular, on discussions about batters. Thorne mentions Ortiz's rough year in his first at bat. Kruk mentions that the Red Sox respect him, that's why they kept him in the lineup. On his third at bat, Thorne again mentions the rather poor start Ortiz had last year. This is where I'm thinking Kruk will do the whole respect thing again. Instead, he talks about how pitchers remember what he has done before and that he could do it again. I thought it was nice to see that different angle thrown in there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #246
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinz
-I think I found a glitch and it has to do with the pitcher running to the base to cover 1st base. Its no longer a pre-determined animation anymore....you and the CPU control the pitcher to make the tag on 1st base. However, the CPU mostly stand there instead of going to the bag.
I don't have the full game yet, but from playing the demo I found that the CPU controls the pitcher until it gets a couple of feet from first base, then gives complete control to you. You have to finish moving the pitcher to touch the base or he just stands there. It's clumsy, but I never had the CPU refuse to let me cover.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #247
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starship
I don't have the full game yet, but from playing the demo I found that the CPU controls the pitcher until it gets a couple of feet from first base, then gives complete control to you. You have to finish moving the pitcher to touch the base or he just stands there. It's clumsy, but I never had the CPU refuse to let me cover.
I mean when the A.I. is pitching and has to cover first base.....it just stand there and let me tag 1st base without an effort.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #248
MVP

jmillhimes's Arena

Have you guys called timeout on the mound yet? Its pretty cool. So far, Im liking this years version alot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »