Home

Old 03-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #425
Rookie

OVR: 2
Post Re: Official MLB 2K10 Impressions (360/PS3)

My two cents so far.

Overall impression is very good. FINALLY a playable baseball game on the 360. I've been SO close to buying a PS3 just for The Show. Not only do I feel like this eliminates my desire to do that but I think it will also give The Show a run for its money on the PS3 once word starts getting out.

This game is just plain fun. It captures the spirit of baseball in every way (pitcher/batter duels, personalized batter stance, atmosphere, stats, TV style presentation, etc) and I think that's what keeps me grinning as I'm playing this game. I can't wait to dive into a franchise or My Player mode.

It certainly has it's weak spots and most people have already cited those so I won't elaborate much but in general I think that 2K now has a more-than-solid base from which to build on and in the mean time they've put a product out there that I think a lot of people can cling to and enjoy immensely during 2010.

My basic thoughts:

Pros:
- Pitching is awesome.
- Batting views are great
- Love the RS batting. Power versus contact versus defensive swing is great.
- Presentation is slick
- Commentary is top notch
- In game atmosphere is great.
- SMOOTH game. Flow is great.

Cons:
- AI Fielding is almost too good and somewhat unbelievable
- Pitcher fielding is way too good
- Arm strength/ball speed a touch too fast
- Base running seems a touch off - probably too fast
- Overall speed of game may be a little off (including two above points on base running and arm strength)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #426
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Official MLB 2K10 Impressions (360/PS3)

hey guys i have a ps3 and have the show. it is a great game but i am getting bored with the same thing over and over. i havent really had time to read through all the threads, but for ps3 users what do you think of this game? sorry if this is being repeated all over the place if it is......
Old 03-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #427
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebby

Cons:
- AI Fielding is almost too good and somewhat unbelievable
- Pitcher fielding is way too good
- Arm strength/ball speed a touch too fast
- Base running seems a touch off - probably too fast
- Overall speed of game may be a little off (including two above points on base running and arm strength)

I think lowering the CPU fielders speed fixes the perfect AI fielding. I finally got doubles and triples because of it. I lowered it to 15

The arm strength is too powerful but if the Speed is lower it won't have much of an effect, I think.

The Pitching fielding is what's messed up.......I had CC get hit with a line drive only to kick it in mid air and catch it for an out.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #428
Rookie

icuwoot's Arena

OVR: 3

Found a small little glitch in MLB Today. All the pitchers have their win totals from last year, but no losses. Like Verlander and Sabathia are 19-0, Santana 13-0. Only in the menu though, in the game the records are right.

There seems to be a lot of double plays too.

Last edited by icuwoot; 03-03-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #429
MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkatbsc
hey guys i have a ps3 and have the show. it is a great game but i am getting bored with the same thing over and over. i havent really had time to read through all the threads, but for ps3 users what do you think of this game? sorry if this is being repeated all over the place if it is......
I picked up both games and the way I'm feeling is this. The show has been polished much more from 09. You can immediately begin playing a season with full 30 team controls and adjust real-life injuries which your able to control now. Slider changes or similar to what you had last year to enjoy the game is quick. I agree with you regarding the team announcers which is becoming "old". I may think about disabling them altogether and play with stadium sounds going forward. The new additions make this game better IMO.

Regarding 2k10, I'm hoping to rely on many of the OS teams here to help rectify some areas of gameplay. I remember 2k7 and 2k8 becoming a slider fest that lasted months to try and find that perfect balance. I'm afraid this might again be the case this year too. However, I enjoy it so much that I'm willing to test it out with the masses just because this game is damn fun.

So to answer you....If your willing to spend for 2 games, do it. If you can only have one game then the show will fill your baseball craving.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #430
Pro

HK-47's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picci
I agree with you regarding the team announcers which is becoming "old". I may think about disabling them altogether and play with stadium sounds going forward.
If the commentating is bugging you, it is best to turn it off. That's what I did with 2k8, and it was nice not being annoyed by the commentators. Raise the on field and crowd sounds too.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #431
Pro

HK-47's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
Too many singles. No slider to adjustment cpu running speed. Arm strength is too high. Gotta make adjustments.
There is a CPU fielder speed slider. One of the first things I did when I got the game was lower this slider to 40. I think I lowered it to 25 before I went to bed. I only saw too many singles hit by the CPU. I raised their contract and power before I went to bed though. I'm confident, that the few issues with this game can be fixed via the community or 2k/VC. The game is really fun, I was really tired when I got the game, but I stood up playing it, cause it's so addicting. I never experienced this with a baseball game. Usually after one game I've had enough.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #432
Rookie

OVR: 2

Thought I'd go ahead and add in my thoughts and experiences. First let me say, much, much better than 2k9. Not saying that there isn't issues with it because clearly, there is. Last year I went and got 2k9 at a midnight realease. After playing one game of it, my thought was "wow, this is not a good game." After this year's game my thought was "wow, this is an excellent game."

I have my Twins franchise going, playing the spring training games. I am really loving the expanded 40 many roster. It really makes spring training stand out as special, and not just another thirty games with the same roster.

First game I played against Santana and the Mets. Santana was very good, held me down to two runs in like 7/8 innings. My pitching was two good, however, and I shut them out. Hit totals seemed to be pretty accurate. I seem to recall 8/9 hits per team, not too bad. Not too many double plays either, there were more than a couple innings where a man was stranded on first or second. Span hit himself a good homerun, early in the game. Using contact swing, it was a pitch that was in there, definately hittable, absolutely one that a pro could get a hold of.

Second game played against Halladay and the Philies. I believe it was Blackburn pitching for myself. He was going good until one inning he fell apart and gave up four runs in an inning. The next inning he was good again, I just thought it was interesting that the Phillies were able to get to him and really mount a rally. I think he went five innings with 70 some pitches. My offense was decent at best, was able to scrape out four runs over the course of the game. Was able to get it into extra innings when Madson came in to face Morneau to lead off the bottom of the tenth. First pitch to him, fastball, right in the zone, very hittable, and he did. Using the power swing, he ended it with a walk off homerun. Some may see it as not very realistic, but I guess you can chalk it up to nerves or whatever, but the pitch was grooved right in there. They probley should have been a little more careful considering who was hitting. I should also note that by this time Madson had thrown an inning and like ten pitches, so he was tired, just an interesting thing.

Pros
-You can really tell the difference between pitchers. Halladay really nibbled the corners and had a lot of control over his pitches versus a guy like Santana. Both pitchers were good, but you could tell that they had different strategies, so it's like facing different guys, not just one pitcher over and over again, like in years past.
-Hitting is much improved. I've had four total homeruns in four games. One on power swing, three on a contact swing. One was even hit by a computer generated farm team player. All the pitches were in there and realistic to be homeruns.
-You can also tell the difference between your pitchers. Maybe I just suck but it is a lot harder to locate pitches with a AAA guy, than a pro.
-You can catch a fly ball
-Rocket throws don't seem too bad to me. Don't happen when a ball gets to the wall and you're going for a double, or if it does, you're far safe. What I'm saying is I've never felt robbed because of an unusually fast throw.

Cons
-There are still some odd fielding animations. I noticed for a couple plays that the short stop was running towards first to field a grounder, and instead of bending down to field the ball, the ball took an odd jump to go right into his glove while barely bending over to field the ball. Maybe it was a realistic thing, but it was something that I just noticed a couple times, and if I wasn't paying really close attention during those plays, wouldn't have noticed it at all.
-Some weird outfield throws, as some have mentioned. Where it looks like a fielder is facing one way and throws another. Happens only a couple times a game, but it looks odd.

Not saying that there aren't issues with the game, because there are. It is an extremely playable game and a billion (I said billion) times better than 2k9. If you want a perfect game, it may not be good for you. If you want a fun game with a few issues that really don't affect much and are minor compared to the fun game it plays, then 2k10 is for you (cue cheesy music).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »