Home

Official MLB 2K10 Impressions (360/PS3)

This is a discussion on Official MLB 2K10 Impressions (360/PS3) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #737
MVP

OVR: 46
Re: Official MLB 2K10 Impressions (360/PS3)

wryly, nice stuff
my thoughts in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryly
After playing heavily for a week, I'm giving up. This game has the potential to compete with the other game. Pitching and batting with the sticks is more engaging than with buttons. Here are a few things I liked and disliked. I've played every installment of every baseball franchise for the past ten years.

The Good:

- Pitcher/batter interaction is improved from 2k9 (as long as the human is pitching) and is the best I've seen in a 2k baseball game. [digging it as well]
- The game feels smooth. [not feeling smooth, i'll say more like mashed potatoes, but a little bit lumpy]
- Presentation is very good. Commentary/statistic overlays rival any game. [hands down, best ever in a game]
- My Player mode is addictive. [haven't tried it tho i did make my guy]
- Fielding is vastly improved from the terrible fielding of 2k9. [that aint saying much! lol]

The Bad

- Lack of variety in hits. [+1]
- Abysmal graphics. [i actually like the stadiums and tghe color palette. night skies anyone?]
- Broken Franchise Mode [+2]
+ Lack of trades. [this i like tho. compared to The other game which has Pujols being traded twice in one year, its a godsend. to me, less is more]
+ Free Agency is broken due to unrealistic contracts [true, it can be edited, tho its a pain in the beemus]
+ Simulated statistics are unrealistic. [holla]
- Overly aggressive CPU batters. [holla, holla]
- Lack of difficulty in My Player mode. [N/A]

I look forward to buying 2K11. 2K10 is a decent baseball game, almost good, it's headed in the right direction, but I can't handle the stagnant franchise mode and goofy gameplay. I'll pick it up again if a patch fixes contracts/stats in franchise mode.

Last edited by econoodle; 03-08-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #738
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustedWalleye
One of probably the most minor things that I could be impressed with his when the batter overruns 1st base, when he goes back to the bag the runner turns away from 2nd base instead of towards, as MLB 2010 still does. I do not recall that being fixed last year in 2k9?

The old rules on that in baseball is if you overrun the base and turn towards 2nd base it is as if you were trying to head towards 2nd and could feasibly be tagged out if you did not get back to the base in time. One of those old rules that is so forgotten.
That is NOT a baseball rule. That's what someone's dad tells the kid playing t-ball so he goes back to first base. It makes no difference on the direction a player turns when going back to first base after he runs past on a single. He can turn left or right - makes no difference. The only way a runner can be tagged out when returning to first is if he makes an attempt at second base. An attempt is not based on what direction a player turns when returning to first.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #739
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

Well after playing for over a week, the honeymoon has come to an end, I do like some things about the game, but there still is more wrong then right, I can't deal with the issue the game has. I also don't believe that a patch is going to really do that much.

Also as a PS3 owner, I don't have all that much faith is getting a patch as to what happened to Us Ps3 user when it came to Hockey.

Oh well I guess.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 03-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #740
Banned

OVR: 6

Rudy that is a rule. If a player turns left on to fair territory, he is 'in play' and can be tagged out before he reaches 1B. a player running to 1st base can overun it, but MUST turn right into foul territory to not be tagged out.

As for my impressions, too many to count. This game is wretched except for the commentary which would be great for the 1st year of franchise, than dated and stale for 2011 in your franchise.

at least 40 bugs/glitches in a final release. This is like the government takin gover car companies, education and health care. When there is no competition, the product stinks.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #741
reo
Pro

reo's Arena

OVR: 9

I've had the game for a week and I still haven't touched anything but My Player. I haven't played this much gamepad baseball since High Heat.

Regards,
A Diamond Mind Baseball & OOTP Player

Last edited by reo; 03-08-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #742
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by imapotato
Rudy that is a rule. If a player turns left on to fair territory, he is 'in play' and can be tagged out before he reaches 1B. a player running to 1st base can overun it, but MUST turn right into foul territory to not be tagged out.
It's not a rule. It's often taught to kids by parents who don't know any better but it is NOT a rule. Whether you turn clockwise or counter clockwise on your way back to first is irrelevant.

http://www.qcbaseball.com/baseball_r...er_rules1.aspx
Old 03-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #743
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Actually the rules states as follows:

7.08 Any runner is out when—

(j) He fails to return at once to first base after overrunning or oversliding that base. If he attempts to run to second he is out when tagged. If, after overrunning or oversliding first base he starts toward the dugout, or toward his position, and fails to return to first base at once, he is out, on appeal, when he or the base is tagged;
Rule 7.08(j) Comment: Runner who touches first base in overrunning and is declared safe by the umpire has, within the intent of Rule 4.09(a) “reached first base” and any run which scores on such a play counts, even though the runner subsequently becomes the third out for failure to return “at once,” as covered in Rule 7.08(j).

So direction of his turn has no bearing on the play. It is stricly the intent of the runner and if he made an attempt at 2nd or not.

Just one of many baseball myths that are incorrect.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #744
MVP

Quote:

As for my impressions, too many to count. This game is wretched except for the commentary which would be great for the 1st year of franchise, than dated and stale for 2011 in your franchise.

at least 40 bugs/glitches in a final release. This is like the government takin gover car companies, education and health care. When there is no competition, the product stinks.
imapotato, the bolded part is simply, not true.
i tested it myself.
ok granted they STILL call yankees stadium, the yankees new park they will be playing in this year, but yea, commentary IS dynamic this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »