Home

Official MLB 2K10 Impressions (360/PS3)

This is a discussion on Official MLB 2K10 Impressions (360/PS3) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #745
JEM
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: Official MLB 2K10 Impressions (360/PS3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
It's not a rule. It's often taught to kids by parents who don't know any better but it is NOT a rule. Whether you turn clockwise or counter clockwise on your way back to first is irrelevant.

http://www.qcbaseball.com/baseball_r...er_rules1.aspx
I always viewed that rule like a PI call in football.. Its up to the empire whether or not a runner made too wide a turn around first base.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #746
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberOneRB
This game is such a great improvement from 2k9, but its kind of laughable some of the mistakes the art director made when designing the uniforms. Has anyone seen the Braves alternate uniform yet? Their uniforms aren't navy blue as they should be (a little too light) and the hat, haha, my gosh the hat.

It looks like they copied and pasted a braves logo on the hat, but you can still see the square outline around the logo that is a different color from the hat. Every year it is the same thing with these uniforms and I really don't understand it. I understand this is "beating a dead horse" so to speak, but my goodness every year we complain and every year the art director makes the most questionable errors with these uniforms.

And I don't understand the "budget and time" argument, because how hard is it to look at the mlb style guide and follow it correctly? You look at the braves alternate jersey, its navy blue, you simply make the jersey navy blue. You see that there is a weird, off-colored square around the braves logo on the hat that looks NOTHING like the real hat, you simply take the five to ten minutes to fix it, you move on. Why isn't it that simple? I mean no disrespect to the developers, but I just don't understand it.
I'm with this. If you got the official MLB license, there isn't any reason they can't deliver the right uniforms. In 2K9, the Mets had some horrible fictional alternate mash-up uniform, with a black "New York" top and pinstriped pants. How the hell it got into the game to me is a mystery. Colorado still didn't have its black top in 2K9 and on the road teams won't wear gray pants...are these still problems in 2K10?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #747
Rookie

krazzed's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Bamagrad
Actually the rules states as follows:

7.08 Any runner is out when—

(j) He fails to return at once to first base after overrunning or oversliding that base. If he attempts to run to second he is out when tagged. If, after overrunning or oversliding first base he starts toward the dugout, or toward his position, and fails to return to first base at once, he is out, on appeal, when he or the base is tagged;
Rule 7.08(j) Comment: Runner who touches first base in overrunning and is declared safe by the umpire has, within the intent of Rule 4.09(a) “reached first base” and any run which scores on such a play counts, even though the runner subsequently becomes the third out for failure to return “at once,” as covered in Rule 7.08(j).

So direction of his turn has no bearing on the play. It is stricly the intent of the runner and if he made an attempt at 2nd or not.

Just one of many baseball myths that are incorrect.
Basically it is an insurance thing, so if the runner turns left then gets tagged the umpire can't say "he intended on advancing". So there is a reason to get taught that one little detail, but I have seen people called out for this very reason, from the MLB down to high school and little league ball.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #748
MVP

OVR: 6

Finally got the game. Was hesitant because got this game last few years and was disappointed.

Pleasant surprise this year! I can see how people are saying the game is fun to play, because it is. It has a freshness to it.

hat I like :

Modes I've tried :

MY PLAYER : EXCELLENT! It's basically ROAD TO THE SHOW and I can play this forever.

MLB TODAY : great Idea. I can see myself playing big games as they happen in real life.

Gameplay :

PITCHING : I knew this pitching model and while it was a good idea last year, it was too accurate. But this year they again went the way of THE SHOW where the ball will actually behave like real life (physics) based on the pitch. Great, but even better, the stick mechanism adds more of a challange to pitching than just pressing a button like in THE SHOW. They copied the pitching physics of the show and added to it w/ the stick motion controls. Nice.

Fielding : I like it. I like that the game plays fast on the field, like high heat use to.

Batting : I absolutely suck at this right now so no comment. I tried to change the camera angle so I hope that helps. I do like the fact that when your batter is up, you see his contact and power ratings, so it helps what type of swing you should use.

Bottom line : they tried to copy MLB THE SHOW and I think they did a good job at it, and added their own spin. I guess you can call it a poor man's MLB THE SHOW but that's a good thing. I think the SHOW got a bit stale last year as well as 2K, but this game feels very new and fresh this year. I have not played the show this year so I cannot really compare the two titles. But I'm happy with MY PLAYER mode here which is basically Road to the Show on 360.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #749
Rookie

OVR: 5

But that is the umpires fault if the runner made no attempt. As an umpire you must call what is in the book not what is myth. And you can tell when the runner is looking to advance.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #750
Rookie

krazzed's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Bamagrad
But that is the umpires fault if the runner made no attempt. As an umpire you must call what is in the book not what is myth. And you can tell when the runner is looking to advance.
You are correct, it is the umpires fault, but it still happens regardless. Therefore, people do tend to turn towards the stands to avoid any mistake by the umpires.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #751
MVP

OVR: 19

I Like the hit stick and pitching.

good game but the things I cant stand are:

1. the game plays too fast, when the ball is in play.
2. doesnt feel like Im fielding. it feels like its strictly cpu controlled.
3. the outfield camera. nothing really seems like a high pop up.
4. AI batting is still a tad bit aggressive. I thought this was fixed, but after playing a handful of games, its not.
5. a play will end before it actually ends. fast play-let a pop up be caught before you get to the next batter.
when the ball is in play, if I throw the ball to 3rd base, dont automatically end the play. I might have had intentions of throwing it to first, second, or home.

last yera had too many erros, this year I havent seen any yet.

6. CPU pitcher throws too many pitches in the dirt. and too many dropped balls on 3rd strike.

7. where are all the sliders from last year.

Im mostly a franchise/dynasty/association guy, Id give it a 6.5 maybe 7. I know the patch will fix most of these issues.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #752
MVP

OVR: 46

heres my thoughts in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
I Like the hit stick and pitching.

good game but the things I cant stand are:

1. the game plays too fast, when the ball is in play. i agree it plays too fast, need game play slider
2. doesnt feel like Im fielding. it feels like its strictly cpu controlled. yes it feels too automatic
3. the outfield camera. nothing really seems like a high pop up. again, fielding view options would help lol
4. AI batting is still a tad bit aggressive. I thought this was fixed, but after playing a handful of games, its not.
5. a play will end before it actually ends. fast play-let a pop up be caught before you get to the next batter. i think its glictched
when the ball is in play, if I throw the ball to 3rd base, dont automatically end the play. I might have had intentions of throwing it to first, second, or home.

last yera had too many erros, this year I havent seen any yet. again a slider is needed

6. CPU pitcher throws too many pitches in the dirt. and too many dropped balls on 3rd strike.

7. where are all the sliders from last year. my theory on sliders is hey rebooted the game this year, so i think they minimized the options vie sliders to keep the game from being tweaked too much as it might alter the gameplay tooo much and reveal bugs.
they made a very basic game this time around.

Im mostly a franchise/dynasty/association guy, Id give it a 6.5 maybe 7. I know the patch will fix most of these issues.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »