Home

MLB 2K11 First Look Trailer (720p)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 First Look Trailer (720p) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: MLB 2K11 First Look Trailer (720p)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
I think a lot of it had to do with the compiling of this engine (all 2K engines) was done on the 360 first... so porting over and trying to replicate things on a different system entirely is an issue.

Some development houses are now switching their engines over to PS3 mind set as far as programming since it is a more complex way of doing things, and have admitted that doing this opens up more avenues for nice overall graphical features and even helped improve the same games on the 360 as well as far as them running faster using this approach.

Would be nice to see 2K do this as well, but seeing their financial situation, it does not seem feasible this gen to re-write an entirely new engine.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010...ys-irrational/
- gotcha, I never really knew anything about that I just knew that when ever I saw the game on a 360 I was thinking how I wish it looked like that on ps3 because I enjoy the analog gameplay. That does make sense though. I guess other sports games that look good on ps3 already took this approach. NCAA and Tiger woods look pretty darn good on ps3, but this game just didn't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlBraves09
- gotcha, I never really knew anything about that I just knew that when ever I saw the game on a 360 I was thinking how I wish it looked like that on ps3 because I enjoy the analog gameplay. That does make sense though. I guess other sports games that look good on ps3 already took this approach. NCAA and Tiger woods look pretty darn good on ps3, but this game just didn't.
Those other games can sell on the PS3. Even if 2K aced the living daylights out of the game, The Show would still dominate it in sales. There is no payoff for taking extra time and effort for the PS3 port.

Understand one other thing. Baseball games are not great sellers. The Show is not really a great seller in terms of videogames. Even if 2K could demolish the Show in sales, it would add 500K, at most. And that is not happening.

So 2K has to put all of their resourced into the 360, and then just make a showing on the PS3. They may want to do more, but it just isn't a viable business plan. I don't think 2K can sell enough on the 360, with a perfect game with a great reputation, to pay off what they paid for the license. Certainly with the kind of baggage they are carrying, there just isn't a way to sell enough baseball games.

I've said since 2K8, that PS3 users are wasting their time wishing for a better version of the game. It will never happen unless they take Sony's license away. The Show sold just over 600K units on the PS3. There just isn't enough of a market for two games to divvy up profits in any way. I don't think the show is very profitable as it is. I think it is a PR gem for Sony, and worth it to drive sales.

But on topic, the trailer gets its point across, and the game looks fine. No one thought 2K was on the verge of releasing a game that was going to turn heads in terms of graphics and animation. People that enjoyed 2K10 saw enough to that 2K11 will hopefully be a bit better.

If folks didn't like 2K10, then they are going to pound away here about how they don't like 2K11 either. Joy...
Old 01-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #43
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I'll have to disagree with you Jayhawker about baseball games not being profitable or worth the time. They sell very well if you don't compare them to football. No sports game will touch Madden. But if you just compare PS3 sports titles then the Show does very well against the major sports. In fact, the Show 10 on the PS3 sold a similar amount of games to NCAA 11 and baseball games collectively on the PS3 are similar to basketball sales as well. The previous year when Live was around there was over 1 million basketball sales on the PS3 but baseball can hold it's own. Selling 600,000 copies of a game on one platform is big and I'm sure SCEA made good money.

Madden 11 - 1,800,000
NBA 2K11 - 730,000 (no Live/Elite)
Show 10 - 610,000
NCAA 11 - 600,000
NHL 11 - 310,000 (and no 2K11 competition)
MLB 2K10 - 140,000

Note that FIFA 11 did 3.72 million sales but that is skewed by Europe as less than 400,000 units were sold in North America.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I'll have to disagree with you Jayhawker about baseball games not being profitable or worth the time. They sell very well if you don't compare them to football. No sports game will touch Madden. But if you just compare PS3 sports titles then the Show does very well against the major sports. In fact, the Show 10 on the PS3 sold a similar amount of games to NCAA 11 and baseball games collectively on the PS3 are similar to basketball sales as well. The previous year when Live was around there was over 1 million basketball sales on the PS3 but baseball can hold it's own. Selling 600,000 copies of a game on one platform is big and I'm sure SCEA made good money.

Madden 11 - 1,800,000
Show 10 - 610,000
NCAA 11 - 600,000
MLB 2K10 - 140,000

Note that FIFA 11 did 3.72 million sales but that is skewed by Europe as less than 400,000 units were sold in North America.
- Thats more of what I was thinking of... I just didn't have the numbers to back it up. You can't really classify Madden with other sports games in terms of sales. Most people are not dead set pro-show and dead set against 2k. Many people, myself included, would love to have two good baseball games to play in the spring. Competition creates great things. I have both so they got my money anyway, but I think they would have been able to sell more ps3 copies than they did if the graphics were comparable to the 360.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #45
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:

Madden 11 - 1,800,000
Show 10 - 610,000
NCAA 11 - 600,000
MLB 2K10 - 140,000

Pretty impressive that The Show was in striking range of NBA 2K11 on the PS3 ... of course, I think the b-ball gaming market is a lot larger on the 360. Same thing with NCAA 11; Online Dynasty probably pushes more people to buy for the 360 over the PS3.

140,000 units for MLB 2K10 on the PS3 is actually more than I expected them to sell on that console. When you add those numbers to The Show, it puts baseball gaming into second place behind Madden in terms of overall sales.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #46
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

Madden 11 - 1,800,000
Show 10 - 610,000
NCAA 11 - 600,000
MLB 2K10 - 140,000

He wasn't talking about comparing the sales of baseball games to othe sports games. He was talking about comparing the sales of baseball games to other video games in general (such as Call of Duty, GTA, etc.).
Old 01-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
He wasn't talking about comparing the sales of baseball games to othe sports games. He was talking about comparing the sales of baseball games to other video games in general (such as Call of Duty, GTA, etc.).
Exactly. 2K has to run the numbers on how much additional revenue it could create versus the additional costs in doing a better port. Possibly, if they thought SCEA was going to tank a season, there might be enough market to go after. But right now, for this release, there is nothing to grab.

I'd venture to say that 600K is the cap for baseball sales on the PS3. In fact, I suspect it is exceeding the cap by some percentage due to the hype surrounding it as a PS3 gem. It is the kind of game you can show off to friends, when you might never actually buy a baseball game.

Even if 2K11 is as good as I hope it will be, there is no way it eclipses 200K on the PS3. The only reason they are releasing it there, at this point, has to be because of the license agreement they made with MLB. I don't think it's right, or fair, but it is the landscape as it exists.

So yeah, if I had a PS3 and was interested in MLB 2K11, I'd wait to see the state it is released in before plunking down any cash. And it is a day one buy for me on the 360.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 36

One thing I notice and I know this is early, but hope it gets fixed is the scoreboards still have the huge black space around the picture of the player. It looks really bad.

FLY EAGLES FLY

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »