Home

MLB 2K11 Preview (Destructoid)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Preview (Destructoid) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #33
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: MLB 2K11 Preview (Destructoid)

Thanks for the article and extra info Samit!

How was the base running? Did you try any steals?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
How was the base running? Did you try any steals?
Nope -- I was playing with the Yankees ('natch), and I only got Brett Gardner on base once before the inning ended quickly.

@SamitSarkar
Old 01-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamitSarkar
[Let me emphasize at the outset that the following two paragraphs do not constitute anything close to my final opinion on MLB 2K11. They're just initial thoughts based on a relatively short gameplay demo.]

First off, any opinion is inherently subjective; I can only tell you what I believe, and I'm not trying to present my thoughts as facts. There's simply no such thing as an "objective opinion." Okay, now that I'm done being pedantic...

From what I saw/played (spent about 45 minutes with it), 2K11 is definitely better than 2K10 -- and 2K10 was a good game, IMO. Not great, but good (I never actually was able to review 2K10 for Destructoid, but I played a bunch of it, and I would probably have given it a 7/10). I haven't yet been able to check out MLB 11 in person, so I can't compare it to 2K11 directly, but it still doesn't seem like I would want to play 2K11 over MLB 10, for example.

I mean, 2K says they're focusing on polish this year. That's great, because 2K10 was a solid foundation. I think 2K11 could be very good (again, all I saw was gameplay; they weren't yet talking about stuff like online play, Franchise, or My Player). But the way I see it, making incremental improvements to 2K10 simply isn't going to produce a game that's as good as The Show. Let me be clear: I don't want to dismiss 2K11 altogether after only a 45-minute demo. But I didn't see anything that blew my mind, and The Show pretty much manages to do that every year. I don't expect I'll be able to recommend 2K11 over MLB 11 to PS3 owners, but who knows? Maybe MLB 11 isn't all that much better than MLB 10. We'll see. (I'm supposed to be checking out The Show next week, so I'll post a preview on Destructoid when I do.) If you only have a 360, though, I think you'll be happy with 2K11.
Thanks man I actually play it on PC but I get it ......I know it wont be better than The Show 11 I was just wondering if it was better than 2K10 to warrant a purchase .....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #36
Banned

Also dude forgot to ask were players faces normal on the field not generic like last year and if you played a night game was the lightning ok not bleak like last year and do animations play them selfs out(no blue flash between pitches)?Sorry If it is to much

Last edited by Saberq; 01-21-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 47

I love what I am reading. I think I will have two baseball games this year and narrow down the pros and cons and just stick with run. I think this is going to be a good year.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq
Also dude forgot to ask were players faces normal on the field not generic like last year and if you played a night game was the lightning ok not bleak like last year and do animations play them selfs out(no blue flash between pitches)?Sorry If it is to much
1) To be honest, I couldn't really tell, but I wasn't looking that closely. I'll keep an eye out the next time I see the game.
2) I only played a sunny Yankees-Rangers day game in Arlington.
3) I like a quick game, so I just kept pressing A after each pitch -- I never wait for animations. So I'm not sure.

@SamitSarkar
Old 01-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #39
Banned

I guess I understand the appeal of having two baseball games. But with so many games sports games dropping in March alone, I just can't see the justification.

We have TW 12, Fight Night Champion, Shift 2, NASCAR The Game 2011, and Topspin 4.

And that doesn't even count Homefront, Dragon Age II, and Crysis 2.

And that's just March.

Of course, the NHL and NBA playoffs will be in full gear, so those games will be begging for attention. Who has time for two baseball games?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #40
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Samit: So the pitching is definitely improved, eh? My main complaint with 2k10 was that it was too easy to paint the corners on every pitch, but it sounds like they adressed that, which is great news.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »