Home

COMPLEX "5 NEW Things" you're gonna LOVE about MLB 2K11

This is a discussion on COMPLEX "5 NEW Things" you're gonna LOVE about MLB 2K11 within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
COMPLEX "5 NEW Things" you're gonna LOVE about MLB 2K11

Quote:
Major League Baseball 2K10 was the Jesse Spano of video games: brainy and beautiful, but ultimately just not the hottest girl in the room. That honor went to the PS3-exclusive MLB 10: The Show, the Kelly Kapowski of baseball games. Still, the beauty of game development—especially for sports games—is that a new year brings a new opportunity for 2K Sports to try and go all Showgirls with their baseball franchise and compete with its sexier rival. With about six weeks to go until the game's March 8 release, we were able to spend some quality time with MLB 2K11 and get a feel for some of the new features that gamers will experience when entering the virtual diamond. You know 2K Sports isn't going down without a fight, so check out five of the coolest things that may help this year’s title hit it out of the park...
http://www.complex.com/video-games/2...bout-mlb-2k11/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: COMPLEX "5 NEW Things" you're gonna LOVE about MLB 2K11

No real new information here. Very consistent with what we've heard already, which isn't a bad thing.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

I like reading the glaring issues of 2k10 are being taken care of 2k11.
UFC

Playing; NHL 13, MLB 2k13, WWE13, DMC, Tomb Raider
Old 01-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

I may give this game a go this year. Haven't played a 2K Baseball game since 2K7.

Will there be cursor hitting?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ
I may give this game a go this year. Haven't played a 2K Baseball game since 2K7.

Will there be cursor hitting?
I seriously doubt it. They removed that feature in 2K10, and I have seen nothing that indicates they are bringing it back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
MVP

dodgerblue's Arena

OVR: 19

The fielding sounds interesting. One thing about baseball video games is that fielding gets repetetive and boring, so if they did it right it may be big. I just hope they didn't overdo the difficulty and turn it into an error fest.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerblue
The fielding sounds interesting. One thing about baseball video games is that fielding gets repetetive and boring, so if they did it right it may be big. I just hope they didn't overdo the difficulty and turn it into an error fest.
The one thing that has always bugged me about fielding in baseball games is that it basically consists of just running. See the ball and run into it and your fielder takes care of everything else. Then press a button to throw (or a direction on the stick). On fly balls, they tell you where the ball is going to land, so 99% of what happens takes exactly no skill to complete..****n fielder to spot that computer tells me to go.

We have a somewhat complicated and intuitive pitching mechanic and they've come up with somewhat complicated and intuitive pitching mechanics over the years, but fielding a ball and throwing it, for the most part, hasn't changed since the original Nintendo Baseball, which came out almost 30 years ago.

Obviously catching a routine flyball is one of the easier things to do in sports, but as you said, it just becomes boring and uninvolved. I've always wanted someone to implement some sort of a catch button, similar to how as a WR in football, you have to go get the ball, but with much more room for error.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13
While I can't argue with you too much, I will point out that most games allow you to turn off the "catch indicator" which definitely makes tracking down fly balls more challenging. As far as a "catch button", this would not be that difficult to implement. In fact, it seems simple enough that my guess is that more than a few developers have prototyped it over the years and found that it either made fielding so difficult that it wasn't fun or so easy that it didn't really add much challenge. Just a thought...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »