Home

Will MLB 2k shock the world?

This is a discussion on Will MLB 2k shock the world? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #33
True Ace

Galvatron's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Will MLB 2k shock the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
None of that actually is relevant to the discussion though. It's just a re-hash of why a stellar game would "shock the world."

The real question is, can this game surprise us with NBA 2K11 quality? Yeah, it can, but I doubt it.

But you response seems like an affirmation that most fans of the game that shall not be named will bury their heads in the sand and buy that instead of considering 2K11. I can't blame them, at all. Even if 2K11 reaches NBA 2K11 levels of quality, PS3 owners are are not going to be giving up too much to continue on with their series of choice. It's a solid game, and an easy game to buy without have to do any research.

But if VC knocks this out of the park (and I'm pretty sure that this is not the year for that) it will make for an interesting narrative regarding these two competitors. It will also destroy any semblance of rationality on either forum.
So then I must ask, what would constitute "shock" for this title? Improving 2k10s flaws? That's to be expected in a yearly sports title. Tweaked visuals? Also expected. The game has a made remarkable strides since development was handed to VC. Bugs and glitches arise in ALL video games, let alone complicated stat-driven sports games. When you say NBA 2K11 levels of quality, to me that means several things have to take place. The first would be to DIG DEEP INTO THE HEART OF A BASEBALL FAN. NBA 2K11's theme was Michael Jordan, to relive the GOAT's most legendary moments. They even went as far as licensing over a few dozen retired players to accurately portray this feature. For a title that already had a huge built-in audience, this NO DOUBT brought in newer fans to the series, even people who probably never played a basketball video game. Another thing I would suggest is FULL POST-RELEASE SUPPORT. 2K's NBA title received a marvelous patch that eliminated a number of glitches AND improved the already top-notch gameplay. Numerous complaints of patches that lacked essential fixes, or worse(no patch at all in some PS3 instances ) leaves me cautious of 2K's dedication to it's baseball titles. I won't get into their marketing because as you said, it's irrelevant to this topic, but these are a couple of examples of what I would consider "shock". To go above and beyond their duty to satisfy the current fans and lure in the new ones. Now I can't speak for the rest of the fans of the "game that shall not be named" but I haven't buried my head in the sand toward 2K11 because as many people have said, competition drives the best outta developers, and from what we've seen going from 2k9 to 2k10 I think it actually rings true. But I, like you, just don't expect to be "shocked" this year.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #34
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13
Just as a point of logic here...wouldn't you necessarily have to answer "no" to the OP's question in order to truly be shocked?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #35
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kursekain
I'll try to be as reasonable as possible about this. I haven't bought a 2k baseball title since 2k7 because the quality pretty much nosedived with each subsequent release until last year. Since then it's been strictly youknowwhat for me but I've always been open to trying their new efforts. The problem is, I haven't even been remotely enticed to purchase their recent titles because their lack of info/late info doesn't give me the urge to reach into my pockets when another baseball title, which I'm MUCH more informed about, with a more polished reputation is released on THE SAME DAY FOR THE SAME PRICE!!! Now I never attended business school, but I have worked in sales for many years and I know that when you have a product with a bad rep that's competing for dollars, there's gotta be something, SOMETHING, to garner new interest. Because the way it's looking, this method of advertising is only catering to people who have ALREADY decided to purchase. Yes the million bucks challenge is nice, but let's face it, it's probably easier (and cheaper) to buy a few lottery tickets and you'd probably have better odds, seriously. So to answer the OP's question,at this point in time and most likely after release, I'd have to answer with a resounding NO!
Agreed.

And I'm sick and tired of hearing them toot their own horns about this million dollar nonsense. They'd be better off if they said they were putting $1 million into improving this colossal disappointment of a title.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #36
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9

I am super confused about what is expected from a baseball game anymore.

While I played MLB 2K10 and I don't own a PS3 for any other baseball gaming I am somewhat limited in what I can play.

I thought MLB 2K10 was a decent enough game. Is there something I am missing? I know 2K8 and 9 had some major framerate issues and glitches in general. Where is all this anger coming from?

Sorry to be the ignorant guy, I am just curious.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #37
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Cre 8,

The most obvious reasons are the game was released with no errors and no injuries (and no check swings, but that was patched later down the road).
Old 02-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 8

To sort of try and figure out MLB 2ks marketing plan. I would have to agree with a previous point in this thread and say the reason 2k doesnt release as much info is because they already know people are going to buy their product regardless because they are baseball videogame fans. For those with a 360 have no choice but to buy their game if you really want a baseball videogame to play. For the most part thats exactly why people buy the game because they are forced to, just like madden.

However with that said, I think 2k is getting to the point where I think many people will prefer it over the other game. Gameplay wise I think 2k is def on the right track this year. One thing that 2k does well over any other "sports gaming company" imo, is player ratings and the effectiveness of the ratings. I love how in NBA 2k almost every players feels different when you play with them. I believe if they can do this with mlb (and it seems like they are with fielding ratings, hot and cold streaks, etc) then i personally will be happy.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8
I am super confused about what is expected from a baseball game anymore.

While I played MLB 2K10 and I don't own a PS3 for any other baseball gaming I am somewhat limited in what I can play.

I thought MLB 2K10 was a decent enough game. Is there something I am missing? I know 2K8 and 9 had some major framerate issues and glitches in general. Where is all this anger coming from?

Sorry to be the ignorant guy, I am just curious.

Same here. I thought last years game was awsome, aside from the minor grips. I think todays gen of gamers is spoiled as hell. I grew up playing intellivision baseball, the nes, then World Series Baseball on Genesis. WSB was considerd the pennicle of all baseball games at the time and it deliverd nowhere near the sim element modern games have and people loved it!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #40
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrotJuice
Same here. I thought last years game was awsome, aside from the minor grips. I think todays gen of gamers is spoiled as hell. I grew up playing intellivision baseball, the nes, then World Series Baseball on Genesis. WSB was considerd the pennicle of all baseball games at the time and it deliverd nowhere near the sim element modern games have and people loved it!
I hear ya. I remember playing RBI and Bases Loaded 2 and thinking it couldn't get any better. Fast forward to today and I'm having a good time with 2K10, despite the few flaws. It sounds like 2K11 is going to be even better, so I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited by jeffy777; 02-04-2011 at 04:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »