Home

MLB 2K11 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3/360)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3/360) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #473
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: MLB 2K11 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3/360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
Are you sure? I'm positive it wasn't like that last year.
I only influenced like three hits, but this was with Classic hitting. All of them "confirmed" my hypothesis, but these could have been small sample sizes.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #474
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I only influenced like three hits, but this was with Classic hitting. All of them "confirmed" my hypothesis, but these could have been small sample sizes.
Ohhh, maybe it's different with Classic.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #475
Rookie

OVR: 0
Ok, I have to disclaim up front that I am not a very big baseball gamer on the consoles for two reasons...1) I am a ballplayer and it's difficult to see developers not get it right when it comes to the fundamentals and 2) I just don't have the time to play a full season. However, I can give good criticism as I am a gamer in general and the aforementioned ballplayer....

That being said - I've played the demo 4 times and these issues really stood out and irked me...

1) baserunning has to be fixed - Period. One, people don't hit a bag and make a 90 degree angle to the next base...they round the bags. It looks unrealistic and takes away from the game when my player "turns the corner" on a deep single and it looks clunky. Also, the "after a hit / fielding" camera may be cool, but I have a difficult time finding out if the ball will be dropped, gapped, or caught - in baseball, runners usually have good depth perception and make quality judgements, but with this view I cannot (this may be a case of altering the in game camera i the retail version)

2) Catcher faces the wrong way on HRs - I think someone mentioned this before. Simple animation that detracts from feeling like your in the game.

3) Animation after 'brushed back' by inside pitch - batter stares down pitcher animation, then warps to outside batters box. Again, simple animation that detracts from feeling like your in the game.

4) Is it me or can I not ask my cutoff man to actually cut off a throw even if I've asked the outfielder to throw to a bag? Most likely I am overlooking something, but I thought if i threw home and then decided to gun down the guy going to second, I could press LB (cutoff button on 360) and he would cut off that throw. Anyone have any input???

5) I am noticing a lot of line drives just over the heads of the AI infielders that look like they could be caught - Anyone else notice this?? I had about 4 in one game (3 innings actually)...

6) Lastly, does the slider work with tosses instead of hard throws? I mean I tap the throw button and the player throws it in the dirt mostly. Is the slider just for Red = bad throw and dark green = good throw? Is there more to it than that? I'd like my second baseman to toss the ball to my 1st baseman when he is 20 feet away and not fling it in the dirt...

That's all I've got - not game breakers, but for someone like me who has played ball for 25+years, these issues can be very distracting...

Thoughts???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #476
Rookie

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
I don't necessarily have a problem with the graphics on the PS3. I think they are fine enough for me. I can live with them. The jaggies on shadows are downright ugly, but it's not killing the game. However, despite all that, I just can't look at these batting stances anymore. They remind me of that guy that thinks he knows how to do everyone's batting stance and ESPN threw into our faces because he became an internet sensation. The guy is a joke. His batting stances are awful. Cartoonish. That's what I get from MLB 2K. The stances look like they should be right, but they are done so over the top. If a guy's bat wiggles, then he wiggles too much. If he crouches, then he crouches too much. It's excessive and looks like a kid attempted them.
I agree with your entire post, but I would like to take this opportunity to pile on "Batting Stance Guy" as one of the worst internet sensations since Hamster Dance.

- Mike Royko
Old 03-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #477
R**k**

tazbk's Arena

OVR: 4

Really? 24 pages? Must be a lot of constructive criticism.

Anyway, I'm getting used the controls again. I love the pitcher/batter faceoffs. I can really work the counts when I'm at bat, and I'm forced to locate pitches when I'm pitching or they will get hammered. I like being able to pitch with different pitchers during the demo.

For the life of me, I will never understand why any demo doesn't just let play 9 innings to get a better and more continuous feeling for the game.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #478
Far from perfect

The Bimmer's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood

You're really going to compare what is being seen on 40+ inch TVs to a YOUTUBE video??? You make a lot of stretches Goh, but this takes the cake. We have no reason to make these things up. The jaggies and muddy textures are there, plain and simple.

I was excited about this game for twoknths, thought I'd finally have two good titles to play... the demo has shown me otherwise, and yes, it's because it looks much worse than last years on PS3.

Lol... A YouTube video... Classic.

What is the point of this man? Thats exactly what it looks like on my t.v.. All you seem to do is complain, everyone gets your point, you have made your point. Move on
Old 03-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #479
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Played the demo three times last night. I don't know if it is where my 360 Profile is set to Hard difficulty settings or what, but I lost all 3 games. First one was 0-5 when i was getting used to the game. I was the Giants. Walked my very first batter which was pretty cool. I gae up 3 runs that inning before I got the pitching down, or so I thought...

Game 2 was terrible. I lost 18-0. My infield never made one play smoothly, every time a ball was hit, it was either a gapper or an error. All my outs came from strikeouts or fly outs in the outfield. It also didn't help that Barry Zito was terrible inaccurate. Some pitches that were really close to MAX Pitch were all the way across from the plate where I targeted. I know the cursor is the break spot to, and that is what I used last year, but even fastballs were opposite of what I had in mind. One instance was where I threw a fastball that was aimed high and outside, but landed in the dirt inside. I know I didn't get a bad gesture and it wasn't weak or overthrown, just terrible inaccurate.

Game 3 I lost 4-0. I pitched better. Only gave up runs because of errors and one solo HR. I still haven't seen a CPU error, only 50,000 from my SF Giants, but its only been three games. I still need to work on my hitting. I am not getting the too early or too late feedbacks, I am not getting anything. My timing is right, but there have been many cases where the swing was on time, just way way off target. I don't know if it was a fluke last night, but I couldn't hit because the AI was swinging 6+ inches over everything for me even though I was timing it right.

Hopefully tonight will be a different story. I may try the Rangers and see if I can actually hit.

EDIT: Not going good so far. I've given up 4 runs so far through the top of the 1st. I realyl am not liking Zito at all. It started out nice with a ground ball for an out, but then they hit one right over the infield, then another, then one off the wall, the a HR. I am pitching near perfect pitches in the suggested zones, its just not working for me at all and feels sort of cheep.

Now I just went up and struck out swinging twice and grounded out. On the end of inning replay my swing was on time, just 6 inches over the ball. Seriously thinking about not getting this after all.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 03-02-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #480
Rookie

OVR: 0
is it really only for gold memebers?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »