Home

MLB 2K11 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3/360)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3/360) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #529
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: MLB 2K11 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3/360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan44
Is Auto Baserunning available?
There aren't really any options in the demo.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #530
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Overall, I'm liking it a lot, from what I see. Couple of observations from watching a couple of videos of the demo:

Does the Rangers uniform look too dark, like it's cast entirely in a shadow, when Rangers are batting and viewing from pitchers' angle, even when Rangers are pitching.

The player models and uniforms look much better, however, in the demo than in the other videos they released (Phillies-Rockies, that Halladay video). They seem to have definition, a 3-D look to them in the demo, whereas in the other videos, they seem to look flatter, more 2-D. Or maybe I'm just hallucinating.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''

Last edited by Spanky; 03-03-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #531
Rookie

OVR: 0
Played both the 2k11 and The Show 11 demos. The Show will certainly be the one I pick up next Tuesday but it feels for the first time in a while that the 360 only owners can finally have a decent baseball game to play. I did experience the same frame rate issues many are describing but compared to where this franchise was 2-3 years ago it feels playable for a whole season. I am curious to see where 2k takes their My Player mode vs the Show's Road to the Show. Looks like The Show had some major revamps to the mode this year(thankfully) and I'm assuming 2k did the same.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #532
Pro

OVR: 5

I did notice some frame rate issues. Cruz hit a flyball into deep center, and right after the ball hit his back, the game stop for about a second - almost felt like it was deciding how far the ball should go. Hopefully it won't be as bad in the retail version.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #533
Rookie

SynShadowzz's Arena

OVR: 3
Played one game so far - really enjoyed it. Will definitely be picking up one day 1.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #534
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14
Can't get over the feeling you get when you know you get a hold of a pitch. Not since MVP 2003-2005 have I felt that through a controller, when the timing is just right. Great job 2K.

Haven't experienced the homerun-out bug yet (knock on wood) but I don't doubt its existence since so many have seen it. What I will challenge people on is the apparent over-agressiveness of the A.I. batters. Not sure where this is coming from as I've had no issues with that. In 9 games I've struck out quite a few batters looking.

I will say this, playing the demo, its pretty evident there will still be a need for some heavy slider tweaks. However, it feels like there is enough of a foundation in place that with the right sliders, you won't have to overlook anything glaring (like lack of errors last year) and that once we figure things out, this will play a great game of baseball. Already having a blast just on default Pro, despite kicking the computer's butt game after game.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #535
Banned

Redemption's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
What I will challenge people on is the apparent over-agressiveness of the A.I. batters. Not sure where this is coming from as I've had no issues with that. In 9 games I've struck out quite a few batters looking.
I wouldn't call this being over aggressive, but one thing I have noticed in the last few iterations of the game is that if you are throwing 1st pitch strikes to every batter, it seems like the hitters will collectively start to swing at that first pitch. Once in a while I get in the groove of not throwing enough balls and being "too accurate" and I notice thats when the AI starts to stop taking strikes and starts swinging early.

Some people may call that (swinging at every first pitch strike) over aggressive, but imo it is actually a good thing. If I become too predictable, I expect the AI to try and take advantage of it.

Otherwise, I agree sroz, the AI batters seem to have a good mix of chasing pitches and being patient (and I also get my fair share of looking 3rd strikes)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #536
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurdinator
OK. So I have put in a number of solid hours on the demo up to this point. Here are my impressions.

Graphics:
First stand out feature is the quality of the lighting and shadows. Colours are realistically rich and the balance of shadow and light is just about spot on.
Stadiums and general staging are great as usual(2K are always good at this).
The players are better than 2K10 but still have a plastic look. Having said that I have seen some great mo caps and facial expressions. Texture of uniforms still leave a bit to be desired.
General animation and movement is improved but what is a bit anoying is the intro presentation. I like a seemless game intro I can watch to ease myself into the atmosphere. But part way through this intro it unexpectedly cuts important stat screens after a few seconds. Grrr.

Gameplay:
I hope we can change the batting camera view cause it is an ugly, ugly sight on the demo.
Getting a base hit is a challenge, and one I welcome with open arms. Maybe I'm just crap but I have not got a Homer yet. Contact in the sweet spots seems to be of a much higher importance.
Base stealing is hard! It takes some pretty sweet timing with a close eye on the pitchers action to have a chance. Thank god for the sliders in the full game.
Pitching is a hard thing to master in 2K11...GOOD! I dont want to paint the corners every pitch and the variable strike zone is an exciting, and highly welcome frustration.
I tend to think the pitcher gets rattled too easily, even with a high composure rating. Sliders will save this as I tend to feel too many runs will be scored in the full game or worse, managers will take starters out too early.
The fielding mechanics are definately the highlight this year. Great modifications in the catching sphere and the throw metre seems to make perfect sense, flowing nicely with the rythm of the game overall.

Now for a few gripes...

...Firstly, I have to mentioned the poor batting camera and I cant remember if we have been told about alternate views? Its no big deal but just gets under my skin how ugly it looks. Secondly, I have experienced a number of buggy, odd instances. At one point I was pitching and a ball began floating behind my back like a damn ghost was copying my every move! I also experienced my catcher pushed 3 -4 yards towards the dugout by a struck out batter as if the catcher was on an imaginary skateboard, ughh! Finally, I had two of my outfielders run THROUGH each other before taking a catch deep. What the hell? No collision? Thats not cool, simply not cool at all.

Overall:

Love it! I am sure the technical glitches can be easily fixed and as long as the commentary is varied enough I might just play through an entire 162 game 'chise this time round. Well done 2K on a very decent demo.
There are other hitting cameras, plus you can customize each preset (zoom, height, angle, etc.) to make your own custom view. You can even hit from behind the pitcher if you want. It definitely would've been nice if these options had been in the demo, but don't worry because they'll be in the full version.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »