Home

Classic hitting = more hit varieties

This is a discussion on Classic hitting = more hit varieties within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
MVP

tcnumba10's Arena

OVR: 11
Icon2 Classic hitting = more hit variety

So I picked up the pc version on Tuesday and played it after installation, it was a pretty decent experience but the thing I wasn't experiencing was the hit variety that was advertised. Most of my hits were only going to center field with the default analog stick batting control. So I decided tO change it to classic hitting under ccontrol settings (click on the left analog stick - hidden menu). Instantly I'm seeing alot more foul balls and hits going in different directions not just center field anymore!

I recommend you guys to try it if you don't see much variety in hits!

Last edited by tcnumba10; 03-08-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Classic hitting = more hit varieties

I'm a HUGE fan of classic hitting. GREAT hit variety. I know a lot of guys don't like it, but it's the only way I play this game. Nice post!
Old 03-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
Rookie

Schreck's Arena

OVR: 3

I think you should play however you want to. I like the analog style and get quite a bit of variety with it. You do know that you can impact how you hit the ball based on the direction you push the stick right? So if you have a righty and want to go the other way, when you swing push to the right, to pull push to the left etc. It's most effective if you can go with the pitch (inside for pull, outside for opposite field), and obviously how you time it. I've had a lot of success this way, but never seem to see anybody talk about it. You can also try to get air under the ball by pushing up on the left stick, or hit it on the ground by pushing down on the left stick. Just something to think about if you're having problems with hit variety. 2k needs to do a better job of showing how that works, I basically figured it out on my own, but really like the system a lot, wouldn't go back to the button pushing.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 12

Not surprised to hear this. Same thing in Tiger Woods PC golf. Use the stick to swing the club and the shot spray/variety is extremely limited. Use the button to swing (classic click) and the ball ends up going every which way, much more of a challenge and much more realistic.

That said, I use the stick in MLB 2K because there's a power swing option, which classic doesn't have. I can't go back to not having a power swing option.

Last edited by Yeats; 03-08-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 13

Is check swinging with classic still difficult to do?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Meow

DetroitStyle's Arena

OVR: 29

Harsh's sliders got me started on classic hitting last year and haven't looked back
Old 03-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
MVP

tcnumba10's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schreck
I think you should play however you want to. I like the analog style and get quite a bit of variety with it. You do know that you can impact how you hit the ball based on the direction you push the stick right? So if you have a righty and want to go the other way, when you swing push to the right, to pull push to the left etc. It's most effective if you can go with the pitch (inside for pull, outside for opposite field), and obviously how you time it. I've had a lot of success this way, but never seem to see anybody talk about it. You can also try to get air under the ball by pushing up on the left stick, or hit it on the ground by pushing down on the left stick. Just something to think about if you're having problems with hit variety. 2k needs to do a better job of showing how that works, I basically figured it out on my own, but really like the system a lot, wouldn't go back to the button pushing.
You can do the same for classic hitting as well, you can control where you want to hit the ball by moving the left analog stick. For example if there is a baserunner on first I would want to hit the ball towards the right side to avoid the double play by pressig and holding the left analog stick to the right side as I press the button to swing at the ball. If there's a batter on third and I want to get him home, I would hold the left analog stick up and press the button to try to get a hit or a sac fly at least. But if there is no baserunners I would just leave the left analog stick alone and just try to hit the ball with classic hitting which will be more unpredictable of where the ball goes and gives more variety instead of just seeing the ball heading towards center all the time if the left analog stick is untouched.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
Living The Dream!

Victor99's Arena

OVR: 9
Icon5 Re: Classic hitting = more hit varieties

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
I'm a HUGE fan of classic hitting. GREAT hit variety. I know a lot of guys don't like it, but it's the only way I play this game. Nice post!
Hey man, I use classic hitting as well, but I have some questions. Since you are the classic hitting/sliders guru, I thought I would ask you personally. Hope you don't mind.

Does tapping the A button result in a contact swing and holding down the A button result in a power swing?

How do you do a check swing with classic hitting?

How do you do a defensive swing with classic hitting?

Do you aim a lot with the left analog stick or usually just leave it untouched in the neutral position?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Victor99; 03-08-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: spelling

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »