Home

Major League Baseball 2K12 Game Modes Reviewer Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K12 Game Modes Reviewer Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Never got why 2K needed to put their own spin on the Derby, but the format is at least bearable compared to the awful camera presentation during the Derby. The only balls you see land are one hit directly to center or to the very close right or left of center. Considering the year or two when 2K's homerun collision detection was non-existent, when was the last year 2K actually had a Derby setup worth playing?
Old 03-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
Just Bad at Everything

TheNumber35's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Major League Baseball 2K12 Game Modes Reviewer Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmymvp6
i agree I have The Show it is so much better and the controls in 2K12 are confusing. I have done a power swing with Pujols and he barely hits the ball close to the warning track. I hope this is 2K's last year making baseball games.

Smh...this is a 2K forum first off, and I believe that the first rule of these forums is that there can be no mention of "The Other Game"

Secondly, Not to sound snide or like I'm trying to be rude but can we please think and give something a fair chance before we criticize? Play for more than an hour before we rule this "the worst game ever". And while some people may not like the 2K controls, saying they are confusing is the wrong word for it. The controls are very intuitive and can be learned in a half hour or so. And if that's not for you, there is an option to go to classic controls which is quite easy to find. Too difficult for you is the correct word you were looking for, which is fine...just don't deceive individuals who haven't played the series yet into thinking they are confusing, as they aren't.

Thirdly, I want to talk about the bolded part. You take issue because you couldn't hit the ball to the warning track with Pujols on a power swing...let me tell you something: there is more to hitting a ball than swinging for the fences every time. You can't guarantee a power swing automatically makes the ball travel further and not include factors such as timing of the swing, and the pitch you swing at. Any baseball game that lets you do that without taking those factors into account is an unrealistic one. You have to actually time the ball out and swing at good pitches to drive the ball. If the logic presented in this post was true, guys like Pujols would just "Power Swing" every time and hit 100+ HR in a season. If you want that, go play The Bigs 2.

My issue is with people who played the game for less than a day critcizing it. Whenever someone who hardly touches a game criticizes it, I really draw issue to it. All I hear is this:

And I hope they make 2K13, because this year's title is a solid improvement on year's past and I think VC is really making excellent progress considering how awful 2K9 and 10 were. 11 was decent and 12 is pretty good, has definite replay value in my opinion (and in the opinions of many respected people around this site)

Rant over, sorry for being that guy but the last comment really rubbed me the wrong way and I don't want people representing this game in a negative light without giving it a fair chance. And no, I'm not a 2K fanboy (because I know that's the first defense coming for people)...I was one of the most critical people of them last year and in year's past. Give them some credit instead of undeservedly bashing them into the ground.

EDIT: I just re-read this rant lol, wanted to make it clear I AM NOT talking about the reviewer here, he did an excellent job and I am not implying he didn't give this game its fair chance, I'm referring to the others here

Last edited by TheNumber35; 03-13-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockitOldSchool
Thanks Money99. I went into the options menu and it was very limited. I even backed out of the game and went into the main option screen and there was nothing. I didn't take it any further than that since it was only a rental. I already turned it in. If I happen to pick it up again at least I know how to do it. I thought the pitching was ok. The hitting was what really bothered me. I don't care much for the stick hitting.
No problem. I don't care for analog hitting either.
I think if you try it with classic hitting where you only press "A" you'll see quite a bit of hit variety and HR's.

Have fun with the other game. It's very well done. But maybe if you get bored, or feel like trying something different, give 2K another shot.
The flaws have been well documented, but there's some fun gameplay under the hood.

Good luck and go Tigers!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
The game is not all bad. And I agree with others, why would we want 2K out of the genre. Competition is a good thing. The more making games, the better.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
MVP

davis420's Arena

OVR: 25
This game has it's problems as most games now days. Overall, I like playing it for a change of pace. The announcing is top notch. Some of the players are awful looking but I'm willing to look past that when I'm playing. I just switched to classic hitting this year with MKHarshs' sliders and rosters and the game plays good. I just wish you could take his rosters into the MLB Today mode.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir28
Never got why 2K needed to put their own spin on the Derby, but the format is at least bearable compared to the awful camera presentation during the Derby. The only balls you see land are one hit directly to center or to the very close right or left of center. Considering the year or two when 2K's homerun collision detection was non-existent, when was the last year 2K actually had a Derby setup worth playing?
I'd say MLB 2K7 on the 360. I liked it anyway. I agree with you about what you said too. They haven't done anything to that ridiculous version of HRD since they took over making the game.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #15
Banned

Zombeels's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockitOldSchool
You don't have to insult. I've never played the game. I didn't see any option at all and I spent a good 15 minutes trying to figure it out. Sorry that you are so much better than me because you found the options. You must feel pretty good about yourself!
There's a big old area in the options screen called 'CONTROLLER OPTIONS.'

Assuming you even played the game, and that you're not just a fanboy coming on a forum and complaining about a game you've never played, you should have found it in 2 minutes. Smh.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 19
2k12 is solid as usual. At this point in time there is no need to compare this title to the other game. and who ever said that the control schemes are difficult on 2k, Id like to add that they are basically the same in the other title (analog controls). and the more basic contola are available also
The qualit of graphics is better than average on the PC. The ball physics and the new pitching feature is a great plus. its actually as good as pulse pitching. the new fielding spot is also well executed.

I like 2k12 as well as the other the title

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »