Home

GMAB8's 2017 MLB today/slider/roster/franchise/discussion thread

This is a discussion on GMAB8's 2017 MLB today/slider/roster/franchise/discussion thread within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: GMAB8's 2017 MLB today/slider/roster/franchise/discussion thread

April 29, Seattle(Gallardo) @ Cleveland(Salazar)

A few changes for this game. I increased pitch break influence for both user and cpu to 100. I feel like this was an important change allowing me to recognize the break of all of the pitches. Much more differentiation between pitches. A big slow curve is more obvious. A slider can be recognized over a fastball easier. You can see the tail on 2 seam fastballs. I really like what I saw with this change.

In addition I raised user contact to 30.

Mike Zunino led off the 3rd with a solo homer to give M's a 1-0 lead.

Cleveland struck in the 4th with a Brantley triple who scored in an Encarnacion ground ball to short that I foolishly tried to throw home on. Credited with a single, but should have been a fielder's choice. Encarnacion then stole 2nd and moved to 3rd on Ramirez's single. Gallardo rattled at this point and I tried to throw a first pitch curveball for strike one and Kipnis deposited it over the right field wall for a 3-run homer and a 4-1 Cleveland lead.

That lead wouldn't last however. Four straight 1 out singles scored 2 runs for the M's and then Nelson Cruz continued his hot hitting, mashing a first pitch fastball out to right for a 3-run homer giving the M's a 6-4 lead. Seager followed with a double, chasing Salazar but would not score.

In the 7th a Cano double and Cruz single allowed Seager to plate a run with a sac fly into deep left center making it 7-4 Seattle.

Pazos and Fien did a nice job for 2 innings of relief. Toby Zych entered in the 8th and gave up singles to Lindor and Brantley before Encarnacion crushed another 3-run homer tying the game at 7. He has absolutely killed me this series!

A Cano double and Cruz hbp with one out provided a scoring chance in the 9th to no avail. Seager flied out and pinch hitter Dan Vogelbach struck out ending the threat.

The game moved to the 12th with some fine pitching from Nick Vincent and Dillon Overton. In the 12th a 1 out Heredia single got a rally going. Zunino then popped to center where Almonte proceeded to drop the can of corn. Runners on first and second now and Segura hits a clutch single scoring Heredia giving the M's a 8-7 lead.

In the 12th Diaz came on for the save. After a first pitch ground out by Guyer, Almonte trying to atone for his costly miscue rifled a shot into the right center gap. . .Ben Gamel raced over and cut it off and fired a strike to 2nd cutting down Almonte trying to get into scoring position! Tough 12th inning for Almonte! Diaz then strick out Gomes looking to seal the game.

Series tied 1-1. Rubber match incoming. Cano was 5-6, M's had 18 hits, struck out 15 times. Cleveland K'd 14 times.

I need to lower user pitching control. Great game, having fun with this 2017 roster.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #10
MVP

April 30th, Seattle (De Jong) @ Cleveland (Tomlin).

A 3 run 3rd inning highlighted by another dropped fly ball in center by Almonte does most of the damage for Seattle. A Jean Segura solo HR in the 4th tacked on another run.

Indians scored 2 in the 5th as De Jong wriggled his way out of a big inning.

M's added an insurance run in the 9th on a Cruz rbi double. Edwin Diaz got the save.

A few takeaways: Cleveland never went to their studs in the pen. Very unrealistic and annoying considering all if the fames were close late. I saw Otero, Goody, McCallister mostly. I'll need to check the bullpen set up.

For this game I lowered user contact back to 25, user pitching control to 20. Bumped cpu contact to 65.

I think I need to go higher yet for cpu contact and maybe one more notch down in user control. Struck out 12 walked 0. Or just raise cpu hitting sliders to force me to throw more balls.

5 runs 11 hits for M's. 3 runs 9 hits for Cleveland. Cano 3 more hits. Good stuff.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #11
MVP

Just had another solid game gameplay wise.

April 6, Seattle @ Houston. Miranda vs Musgrove.

Made slider adjustments as follows: user contact at 15 user power at 65 cpu contact 75 cpu power 85.

These changes forced me to pitch more carefully and punished me when I made a mistake. I lived down in the zone really well with Miranda, battling through the 5th where I gave up a 2 run blast to make it 4-1 Houston.

Musgrove shut me down. A solo homer by Seager was the only highlight. Only managed 3 hits.

Houston scored 7 runs on 13 hits as they rattled around my bullpen a little bit. I was forced to pitch the corners and thus walked 4 batters while striking out only 5.

I think I am really close on how I want my sliders set up. Going to 20 user contact and change nothing else. Probably work those for a few games. Really enjoying this game and roster set right now!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2017, 03:18 AM   #12
MVP

April 7 Gallardo @ Chavez of the Angels.

Jean Segura with a lead off home run got the M's off on the right note. However, Chavez settled in nicely and pitched a solid 6.1 innings fanning 11 Mariners. Adams in relief fanned 6 more in 2.2 innings. 17 K's for the M's. Not good.

The bright spot was Gallardo though. He allowed just one hit through his 8 innings of work, unfortunately he did yield an UNearned run leaving the game in a 1-1 tie. Fireballer Tony Zych came on in the 9th and may have been a managerial mistake not to go to the closer Diaz because Zych struggled to get ahead in the count. After a Trout leadoff single, he was bailed out by a baserunning blunder when Trout got caught and doubled off first base on an infield pop up by Pujols. Cron followed with a single, pinch runner Ben revere promptly stole 2nd and advanced to 3rd on Zunino's errant throw into center field. After working the count full to Maybin, Zych went with a high fastball and Maybin lined it into center for the walk-off win.

These games are getting fun! Let's hear how others' games are going!

Old 05-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #13
Rookie

GreenLightning's Arena

I'm curious. Do you play with the strike zone off for both hitting and pitching?

What cameras are you using for pitching hitting and fielding?

I never played with pitch break influence that high I will give it a try.

Great game isn't it? Just a couple of awkwardly linked fielding animations like the stutter step abrupt halt after a caught fly ball. How much work would it have taken to clean up the upper deck graphic? Looks terrible but aside from that I am happy enough with the way the game looks and plays. On top of that it is fun and the hitting/pitching pitching hitting dynamic is the best of all the games and I play PYS on a regular basis as well.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:53 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLightning
I'm curious. Do you play with the strike zone off for both hitting and pitching?

What cameras are you using for pitching hitting and fielding?

I never played with pitch break influence that high I will give it a try.

Great game isn't it? Just a couple of awkwardly linked fielding animations like the stutter step abrupt halt after a caught fly ball. How much work would it have taken to clean up the upper deck graphic? Looks terrible but aside from that I am happy enough with the way the game looks and plays. On top of that it is fun and the hitting/pitching pitching hitting dynamic is the best of all the games and I play PYS on a regular basis as well.
Yes, I am absolutely loving this game right now. My biggest pet peeve is the fielding animation that has infielders sprinting and catching line drives from a stand still. I am pretty sure the anticipation edit to 25 has diminished this animation somewhat, but I still see it too much. I wonder if the the range attribute affects this as well? I read an old thrwad on MVPMods about the range and what it affects but am not certain on the results.

I play with strike zone off for both pitching and hitting. I use the default cameras that pop up for the game when pitching. It gives a different feel for each game for me. The hitting camera is default as well, I think batter 2 zoom1? I'll check, about to play a game now.

Let me know how it goes for you with a high pitch break influence.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:05 PM   #15
MVP

Just played an absolute gem! April 8, King Felix on the hill at the Angels and Ricky Nolasco.

The pitching came out dominant today. I mixed my pitches with Felix and worked down in the zone and on the corners. Struggled with the sinker most of the day but the fastball had pinpoint control today.

After working Nolasco for a walk by Haniger and a single by Cruz, I stranded runners at 1st and 2nd. I did however force 25 pitches in the first inning.

Nolasco settled in though, no scoring through 5 frames. In the 6th the M's strung together 3 good at bats in a row. Haniger worked a full count and smoked a single to left. Cano followed with a 2-0 pitched lined into right moving Haniger to 3rd. Cruz worked another full count and hit a deep line drive to left that Haniger was able to tag and beat the relay home. M's lead 1-0.

Felix continued his dominance through 8 innings, striking out 8 and walking none. It was one of my better pitching performances.

Diaz came on in the 9th for the save. A one out bunt single gave a scare to the narrow 1-0 led for the M's as Zunino airmail ed the throw to first base down the line in right allowing the batter all the way around to 3rd. Diaz showed why he's so tough though, striking out the last two batters to preserve the shutout victory.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #16
MVP

So far, with the pitchers that have an even spread or distribution of pitch tendencies I have not had trouble working around yellow or red pitches.

I can live with the pitch number/rating turning red from allowing hits. This is just a reflection of how well that pitch is working on that day. My problem comes when after only 4 or 5 fastballs with some pitchers it turns yellow and red.

My next start is with Paxton again and his tendencies have given me fits. I have edited him numerous times testing tendencies and how high they can be. The next start I make I have gone back to the tendencies from fangraphs as close as I can follow.

Stay tuned.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »