Home

Old 11-09-2004, 08:01 PM   #1
MVP

dust247's Arena

OVR: 14
Minnesota Twins 05 edition

Discuss the Twins offseason and 05 season here!
Iowa Hawkeyes (NCAA)
Minnesota Twins (MLB)
Tennessee Volunteers (NCAA)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2004, 10:15 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Minnesota Twins 05 edition

Jason Kubel's injury is a huge blow to next year's line-up. He was scheduled to be the everyday right fielder. Now, he's out for a large part of the season with a serious knee injury. Even so, the Twins still can't afford to keep Jaque Jones at his '05 salary, so we'll have Lew Ford in RF (which is just fine with me), but our bench will be slightly weaker, with a guy like Restovich there.

Koskie may not be back. I thought he would be, at a reduced rate, but it seems like teams are making a push for him. I think he's 50/50. If he goes, i think it's Tiffee, and not Cuddyer, that gets the nod at 3B next year. I think Cuddyer becomes the everyday 2nd baseman.

We have a hole at SS right now. I'd like to see Guzman come back for less money. The SS market is flooded right now, so we may be in good shape. If he goes, i think we're in a little bit of trouble, defensively. Jason Bartlett's glove is not major league ready, as far as i can tell. Offensively, it's a push.

Signing Radke is key. If he comes back, our pitching is better than last season. Santana is great. Silva is coming around. I think he had a season to build on. Lohse can't possibly be that bad (can he?), and we have JD Durbin and Scott Baker in the mix for the #5 spot. Who knows about Joe Mays anymore?

Our bullpen is back, intact. Nathan on the back end, Rincon and Romero setting him up, and Crain and Balfour in front of them. That's a lot of power arms in one 'pen.

The Twins still need to sign a veteran swingman for long relief/spot starter duty, and a back-up catcher is needed. Getting Mauer healthy and ready to catch 120 games is the #1 priority of the off-season. He was the rookie-of-the-Year in a cakewalk if he stays healthy.

A full season of Justin Morneau? I can't wait.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:41 PM   #3
MVP

dust247's Arena

Johan Santana wins the 2004 Cy-Young award
Iowa Hawkeyes (NCAA)
Minnesota Twins (MLB)
Old 11-12-2004, 11:39 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 17

Its unanimous!

Dust, didnt you already start an '05 thread? Maybe we should revive the old TWINS thread and post on that.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:25 PM   #5
MVP

dust247's Arena

Who will play shortstop for the Twins next year?

I ask this since Guzman signs with Washington's team.
Iowa Hawkeyes (NCAA)
Minnesota Twins (MLB)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2004, 12:40 AM   #6
All Star

rsox's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust247
Who will play shortstop for the Twins next year?

I ask this since Guzman signs with Washington's team.
In house candidates are Nick Punto and Jason Bartlett, Bartlett will likely be the Twins SS in 2006. Royce Clayton and Rey Sanchez are possible outside replacements as either would only be there for 1 season. Also, after signing Omar Vizquel the Giants will likely be shopping Deivi Cruz, not sure if the Twins would trade for him when they can offer Clayton or Sanchez or someone else a minor league invite to spring training and have them compete for the job.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:49 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsox
In house candidates are Nick Punto and Jason Bartlett, Bartlett will likely be the Twins SS in 2006. Royce Clayton and Rey Sanchez are possible outside replacements as either would only be there for 1 season. Also, after signing Omar Vizquel the Giants will likely be shopping Deivi Cruz, not sure if the Twins would trade for him when they can offer Clayton or Sanchez or someone else a minor league invite to spring training and have them compete for the job.
At this point, i'd rather see them move Rivas to SS (his natural position) and keep Punto as the utility man and Cuddyer as the everyday 2nd baseman. Rivas is every bit the fielder Guzman is, and their hitting is about even. Cuddyer should bring up the power and RBI numbers for the middle infield, and he has a strong arm. Punto is perfect for the utility role. He's a switch hitter and can play both spots. He doesn't seem to have the durability to be an everyday player. Bartlett needs more time at AAA, and he's always there in case of an injury. I'd rather not bring in some 4th rate free agent.

I don't see Guzman's leaving as a signifigant loss.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:28 PM   #8
T*rg*t F**ld

bergie56's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuck
At this point, i'd rather see them move Rivas to SS (his natural position) and keep Punto as the utility man and Cuddyer as the everyday 2nd baseman. Rivas is every bit the fielder Guzman is, and their hitting is about even. Cuddyer should bring up the power and RBI numbers for the middle infield, and he has a strong arm. Punto is perfect for the utility role. He's a switch hitter and can play both spots. He doesn't seem to have the durability to be an everyday player. Bartlett needs more time at AAA, and he's always there in case of an injury. I'd rather not bring in some 4th rate free agent.

I don't see Guzman's leaving as a signifigant loss.
In SI's truth and rumors section they say that Rivas is most likely gone as well if he doesnt take a low contract. They are saying that Bartlett may be given the opportunity to win the spot or at least compete with a few other players for it none of whom impressed me very much. I was really hoping that we would have signed Vizquel.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »