Home

Official New York Yankees Bleacher Creatures Team Thread

This is a discussion on Official New York Yankees Bleacher Creatures Team Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 10-11-2005, 09:54 PM   #1689
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Official New York Yankees Bleacher Creatures Team Thread

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/4981828

The Yankees

Pending free agents: SP Kevin Brown, RP Alan Embree, C John Flaherty, RP Tom Gordon, OF Matt Lawton, RP Al Leiter, 1B Tino Martinez (team option), SP Hideo Nomo, RP Felix Rodriguez, INF Rey Sanchez, DH Ruben Sierra, RP Tanyon Sturtze (team option), OF Bernie Williams

Besides the litany of players bound for free agency, general manager Brian Cashman is also no longer under contract. Of course, considering the Yankees' "hootenanny" approach to organizational decision-making (in which the loudest voice gets heard), it may not matter who holds the ceremonial title of GM. In any event, Cashman is likely gone, and manager Joe Torre may be, as well.

As for the on-the-field talent, the Yankees' needs this winter are the same as they were last winter pitching in all its forms and a legit center fielder.

On the pitching front, the Yankees have Randy Johnson and Mike Mussina under contract, and Chien-Ming Wang and Shawn Chacon have likely earned spots to start 2006. (Oh, and Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright are also in tow, but let's try to keep things positive.) The Yanks should start by re-upping with Tom Gordon. Then they should endeavor to sign A.J. Burnett away from the Marlins. Burnett has health issues in his past, but he's only 28 (young by free-agent standards), and his rare combination of high strikeout rates and strong groundball tendencies augur well for the future. Failing that, Kevin Millwood (quietly, this year's ERA title winner in the AL) would also be an excellent fit. Of course, there's always the slim possibility that Roger Clemens hits the market and is willing to pitch somewhere other than Houston.

As far as fleshing out the rest of the bullpen goes, there's Scott Sauerbeck and Chris Hammond from the left side and quality guys like Bob Howry, Cal Eldred and LaTroy Hawkins throwing starboard. Those aren't the only options. Provided these elite relievers would be willing to abdicate their closer duties, hurlers like B.J. Ryan, Kyle Farnsworth, Mike Timlin and Todd Jones might be possibilities.

On the lineup front, priority number one must be landing someone who can chase flies in center something the Yankees haven't had since Bernie Williams was ambulatory. If Johnny Damon hits the market, he's the guy (and he'd have the added bonus of coming over from Boston). Other possibilities include Jacque Jones and Kenny Lofton. Also of use would be a first baseman who can hit a little and with a glove somewhere north of Jason Giambi's. Tino Martinez's offensive decline is such that picking up his option wouldn't be wise. A platoon arrangement of John Olerud/Travis Lee and Julio Franco/Olmedo Saenz would be optimal.
What I'm Currently Listening To
Old 10-11-2005, 10:53 PM   #1690
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Rotation should be (in no order):
Johnson
Mussina
Chacon
Wang
Small/Pavano/Wright

Unfortunately, if all 3 of the remaining guys are on the team, Small will probably have no shot to earn the starting spot, due to the contracts. Not that he's anywhere near a sure thing to be a quality pitcher again, but I'd hope he gets a shot. We're probably in our best shape as far as starting rotation goes in 2 years. Might not even bring anyone in, especially since the starting pitcher FA pool is weak. No way they sign Burnett, they've had enough problems bringing over national league guys who only had a couple good years.

Bullpen needs some work. I think we'll make a strong run at Ryan, but who know's if he'd be willing to take a set up role. We'll probably bring back Gordon, but he struggled at times this year, and I have no confidence in him in the playoffs or against Boston. A lot of work needs to be done here.

I think Matsui will be back, and I'd be for it as long as it's no longer than a 3 or 4 year deal. I wouldn't mind Bernie back as a part time player, but I hope he decides to retire. I don't think we'll make a strong run at Damon. No idea who will be in centerfield, but I don't think it will be a big name guy. I'd look into dealing Sheffield if I could. I don't know if there's much of a market for him, but we need to get younger and more balanced offensively. I wouldn't give him away, but if we can bring in some decent bullpen help, and/or young outfielders/pitching, I'd do it. Cano, Jeter, A-Rod and Giambi will all be back. Tino most likely won't be. His bat is so bad now that we can't afford to play him. I don't think Posada is really tradeable, but I do think the Yankees might try and start grooming someone to replace him. His defense is poor, and his numbers have been declining the last 2 years.

Cashman will be gone. I think the Yankees want him back, but he's made it obvious that he's done, and is tired of all the politics in this organization. I don't blame him. Hopefully they give Gene Micheal a big role in the decision making, but that's doubtful. The new GM will probably be one of the Steinbrenner asskissers down in Tampa, who are responsible for quality signings like Wright and Tony Womack.

Lastly, I expect Torre back, but it wouldn't completely shock me if he quit, even with all the money he is still owed. Just the way he's been acting, and some of the things he's said this year, make me think he might be planning on hanging it up. Hope I'm wrong, because without him this team wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs this year.

Going to be an interesting offseason. Outside of BJ Ryan I don't see us trying to make any HUGE moves, but there will be tweaks. Hopefully the new GM can find a way to get some younger talent in here and some role players.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:05 PM   #1691
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh

As for 2006, the division will be the weakest it's been in a decade IMO, and we should be able to win it next year because our team is basically built for the regular season and not the post season. It's funny how Boston was at the top last year, then in one single off season they managed to accomplish what the Yankees did over 5 off seasons. They totally abandoned the importance of pitching and defense. How the hell do they not resign Cabrera, Pedro and D-Lowe. Granted none of those three were itching to stay in Boston, but it was a terrible job by Epstein. Renteria, Wells and Clement to replace those three guys? What I'm getting at is that this isn't just a New York problem, any team that fails to recognize the importance of pitching and defense isn't going anywhere. Even more ironic that the book "Mind Game" or whatever it's called about them creating a blueprint for winning came out, just in time to see the Red Sox fall flat on their face.

Cabrera isn't that great. He had a 82 OPS+ this year, Renteria had a 91 OPS+. There was obviously a big difference in defense, but who knew Renteria would be so bad? The guy was a gold glove winner.

Everyone knew Lowe wouldn't be back, especially since he had been pretty crappy since 2002, with exception of last year's playoffs. He was also asking for way to much money.

Pedro is the only real mess up in my mind, but even then, I don't think he would have put up the same numbers in the AL, especially the AL East that he put up in the NL. Who knows though.

I agree it wasn't a good offseason for Theo, mainly because of how the season turned out. If the Red Sox don't lose Schilling and Foulke, this season is totally different. The only plus for Theo was trading for Graffanino.

The reason the Red Sox fell flat on their face was because of the offense, not pitching and defense, due to the fact that 5 of our hitters were doing absolutley nothing. We relied on our offense all year long, but the last two weeks of the season, it came up short.

I can see the Yankees letting Bernie go, and signing Konerko and Pierre.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2005, 11:20 PM   #1692
Hall Of Fame

Kashanova's Arena

OVR: 30

They need a better pen
Outfielders
1b or DH
And Definetly a new catcher Posada's day are coming to an end soon
Old 10-11-2005, 11:21 PM   #1693
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
Rotation should be (in no order):
Johnson
Mussina
Chacon
Wang
Small/Pavano/Wright

Unfortunately, if all 3 of the remaining guys are on the team, Small will probably have no shot to earn the starting spot, due to the contracts. Not that he's anywhere near a sure thing to be a quality pitcher again, but I'd hope he gets a shot. We're probably in our best shape as far as starting rotation goes in 2 years. Might not even bring anyone in, especially since the starting pitcher FA pool is weak. No way they sign Burnett, they've had enough problems bringing over national league guys who only had a couple good years.

Bullpen needs some work. I think we'll make a strong run at Ryan, but who know's if he'd be willing to take a set up role. We'll probably bring back Gordon, but he struggled at times this year, and I have no confidence in him in the playoffs or against Boston. A lot of work needs to be done here.

I think Matsui will be back, and I'd be for it as long as it's no longer than a 3 or 4 year deal. I wouldn't mind Bernie back as a part time player, but I hope he decides to retire. I don't think we'll make a strong run at Damon. No idea who will be in centerfield, but I don't think it will be a big name guy. I'd look into dealing Sheffield if I could. I don't know if there's much of a market for him, but we need to get younger and more balanced offensively. I wouldn't give him away, but if we can bring in some decent bullpen help, and/or young outfielders/pitching, I'd do it. Cano, Jeter, A-Rod and Giambi will all be back. Tino most likely won't be. His bat is so bad now that we can't afford to play him. I don't think Posada is really tradeable, but I do think the Yankees might try and start grooming someone to replace him. His defense is poor, and his numbers have been declining the last 2 years.

Cashman will be gone. I think the Yankees want him back, but he's made it obvious that he's done, and is tired of all the politics in this organization. I don't blame him. Hopefully they give Gene Micheal a big role in the decision making, but that's doubtful. The new GM will probably be one of the Steinbrenner asskissers down in Tampa, who are responsible for quality signings like Wright and Tony Womack.

Lastly, I expect Torre back, but it wouldn't completely shock me if he quit, even with all the money he is still owed. Just the way he's been acting, and some of the things he's said this year, make me think he might be planning on hanging it up. Hope I'm wrong, because without him this team wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs this year.

Going to be an interesting offseason. Outside of BJ Ryan I don't see us trying to make any HUGE moves, but there will be tweaks. Hopefully the new GM can find a way to get some younger talent in here and some role players.
I was hearing rumors of them trying to get rid of Pavano but I dont think anyone would want him.

I think they'll bring Gordon back but I heard that Ryan has said he'd accept a set-up role if it was for a great closer and it gave him a chance to win. Plus Mo has only about 3-4 years left so Ryan could take over for 2 or 3 years after Rivera was done if we signed him.

Yeah.. Cashman wont be back and one of Steinbrenner's b**ches will probably take over and run our team into the ground.

I dont see them trading Sheff and not resigning Matsui would be a huge mistake. He's a classy guy and player and brings respect to the team who makes it easy to have diesprespect for them by other teams. I think Bernie will accept a backup role for one more year.. and I think Tino will stay on but Sierra will not.

Torre was mostly sick of Steinbrenner's guys telling YES to make Kim Jones awkward questions to him to make him and the team to look bad as he has privately said to many people.... but I think he can deal with it as hes said he really loves the guys he has on the team and they love playing for him.

Should be an interesting offseason.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:32 PM   #1694
Hall Of Fame

Kashanova's Arena

Some Free Agents out there are
Kenny Rogers-Too old though
Shawn Estes
Jarrod Washburn
Omar Daal
Denny Neagle
Kirk Rueter
Kevin Millwood
A.J. Burnett
Jeff Weaver
Jason Schmidt (Team Option)
B.J. RyanReally Want this guy
Felix Rodriguez
Paul Quantrill
Tom Gordon
Mike Timlin
Julian Tavarez
Kyle Farnsworth
Ugeuth Urbina
Matt Mantei

Gm's
Theo Epstein
Brian Cashman

OF's
Jacque Jones
Carl Everett (Team Option)
Johnny Damon
Brian Giles

1b's
Kevin Millar
Paul Konerko
Frank Thomas
Old 10-11-2005, 11:33 PM   #1695
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31

I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't want Ryan. I'm just not that impressed with him.
What I'm Currently Listening To
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2005, 11:33 PM   #1696
Hall Of Fame

Kashanova's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman11747
I was hearing rumors of them trying to get rid of Pavano but I dont think anyone would want him.

I think they'll bring Gordon back but I heard that Ryan has said he'd accept a set-up role if it was for a great closer and it gave him a chance to win. Plus Mo has only about 3-4 years left so Ryan could take over for 2 or 3 years after Rivera was done if we signed him.

Yeah.. Cashman wont be back and one of Steinbrenner's b**ches will probably take over and run our team into the ground.

I dont see them trading Sheff and not resigning Matsui would be a huge mistake. He's a classy guy and player and brings respect to the team who makes it easy to have diesprespect for them by other teams. I think Bernie will accept a backup role for one more year.. and I think Tino will stay on but Sierra will not.

Torre was mostly sick of Steinbrenner's guys telling YES to make Kim Jones awkward questions to him to make him and the team to look bad as he has privately said to many people.... but I think he can deal with it as hes said he really loves the guys he has on the team and they love playing for him.

Should be an interesting offseason.
Tino has said it was his last year

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »