Home

Official New York Yankees Bleacher Creatures Team Thread

This is a discussion on Official New York Yankees Bleacher Creatures Team Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-06-2005, 11:03 AM   #217
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Official New York Yankees Bleacher Creatures Team Thread

Stat of the day:

This is the first 11-18 start since 1975 which freakishly enough is 3 decades ago and the first year Da Boss owned the team....Is karma saying George will drop dead after this season?

(not that I wish death on him or anything. It just would be a very neat and freaky end of the Steinbrenner years)

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 05-06-2005, 11:56 AM   #218
MVP

OVR: 7

Yankees are in biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig trouble. And as a Mets fan, I LOVE IT.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:35 PM   #219
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Only 5 months until football season.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:26 PM   #220
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
Without a solid pitching staff it's impossible to compete in this division over the course of a full season.
exactly...pitching is their problem, and most of the MLB has that problem to some extent. You could have a lineup full of hall of fame players, in their prime, but if your pitching was horrid then it wouldn't really matter as much.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:00 PM   #221
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13

Personally... maybe I'm just an idiot... but I'm not panicking. Last year our rotation was even worse than this and people all year were concerned about the pitching. I mean the Yankees were the first team in history (I think) to go without a Complete Game all year (maybe it was just for playoff teams). There was a stretch last year... although not as early as this year... where the Yankees went something like 15 starts with a quality start.

Bottom line is... if you have Randy Johnson.. Carl Pavano... and Mike Mussina as your front 3.... your rotation is in decent shape. RJ will find his groove... Pavano's been prettty good and will get better... and Mussina always takes awhile to get his velocity back up. The we just need Wang and whoever else spot starts for us to step up and give us 9-12 games (I don't expect much from Brown)

The real problem is the bullpen. I can't stress enough hoe important Sturtze is to this bullpen... especially when Gordon and Quantril are pitching like crap. Gordon hasn't been the same since the "throwing up before Game 5 of the ALCS" thing.... and Quantril seems like he can't survive AL hitting. Luckily Sturtze is back... Groom is pitching phenominally.... Stantons pitching good... and if we have to we can bring Proctor bac up to pitch some.

Eventually the hitting willl get more consistent. Jeter... Sheff... and A-rod are off to great starts. Posada and Matsui will striaghten themselves out although Posada hasnt been the same since being hit in the face with the ball... and with this most likely being Bernie's last year in the Bronx... he's gonna pick it up. We're gonna need to get lucky at 1B with maybe Tino providing something and Giambi can just supply us walks because he can't hit for jack anymore.

If the Yanks are under .500 at the end of June... then I'll panic... right now... I'm just waiting for them to turn it around.

Plus I completely disagreed with shaking up the lineup. Last year we finished April with a 13-11 record. This year: 10-14. That's a 3.5 game difference. Last year we didn't mess things up like this and this year we shouldntve. Womack needs to be kept at 2nd because Cano doesn't seem ready for the majors plus this is a terrible time to have a rookie debut... during a time of unbelivably high pressure and scrutiny from the media. Once everyone gets settled in their spot in the lineup I'm sure we'll come around.

And if we don't then..... I don't know. I'll be pissed as hell though.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2005, 07:48 PM   #222
MVP

OVR: 15

At first when the Yankees are struggling I was like "well just give it some time they'll start to play better", now I'm like "the Yankees are in trouble". The biggest problem with this team is the pitching staff. This has to be one of the worst pitching staffs in terms of ERA and opponent batting average in the majors. George Steinbrenter (sp.) brings in all of these high priced free agents and what do they do? Nothing. Randy Johnson hasn't played at his highest level yet. Will Kevin Brown ever stay healthy? The bullpen hasn't done anything yet this season. You would think Mr. Automatic Mariano Rivera would close out more games but he hasn't.

Now to the offense. The offense in my opinion has been inconsistent. One game they'll bust the game open with over 10 runs and then the next game they can't hit, they won't be able to bring runners in scoring position to home plate. Yes at time they score enough runs to win the game, but the pitching keeps them from winning. If the pitching were better they would have more wins than they have right now. They keep trying new things with the lineup all the time and it's not working. Joe Torre is an experienced manager and he needs to do something to get this team excited about playing baseball. And because of all of this losing, they are not having fun playing the games. There's no intensity, and no sense of urgency.The $200 million dollar team is going to have a ton of work to do if they want get out of the cellar of the AL East.

Last edited by ifiok25; 05-06-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:37 PM   #223
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13

Great heads up baserunning by Jeter... thats why hes the best. And then terrible baserunning by Posada.

3-3 now with Mo in.... we NEED this game,

Old 05-06-2005, 11:37 PM   #224
All Star

OVR: 25

I hope they didn't need that one, because they didn't get it. Great defense by Tino there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »