Home

Official New York Yankees Bleacher Creatures Team Thread

This is a discussion on Official New York Yankees Bleacher Creatures Team Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2005, 04:48 PM   #601
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Official New York Yankees Bleacher Creatures Team Thread

That would be terrible. Cameron is a good player, but no where near the hitter Sheffield is. He'd improve the centerfield defense, but we'd still have no one for right. And while he's younger then Sheffield, he's still on the wrong side of 30. Cairo would just be a backup infielder.

No way, and Sheffield has said he'd make life miserable for any team that trades for him, so no one is going to take a chance on him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2005, 05:08 PM   #602
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31

No ground made on anyone but Baltimore if the Yanks win tonight, since the Sox and Jays won.
What I'm Currently Listening To
Old 06-30-2005, 11:39 AM   #603
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Just heard on WEEI that Quantrill and Stanton have been DFA'd. Stanton will be picked up by somebody. He's just a victim of bad managing IMO. He may have been able to handle righties earlier in his career, but at this point he's a LOOGY.

His splits this year:
vs Left: .176 BA, .479 OPS
vs Right: .478 BA, 1.432 OPS
Old 06-30-2005, 01:20 PM   #604
All Star

OVR: 25

Quantril should just retire, its clear he's lost it.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:36 PM   #605
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
Just heard on WEEI that Quantrill and Stanton have been DFA'd. Stanton will be picked up by somebody. He's just a victim of bad managing IMO. He may have been able to handle righties earlier in his career, but at this point he's a LOOGY.

His splits this year:
vs Left: .176 BA, .479 OPS
vs Right: .478 BA, 1.432 OPS

Yeah, I heard about this last night. I guess right after the game got called Joe called in Stanton and Quantrill and told them the news. I guess it was a pretty emotional scene in the clubhouse, and Mike and Paul packed up all their belongings and hit the road.

As for Stanton two nights ago, it was a case of bad managing because all Torre was concerned about was turning Roberts around because he hits .408 from the left side and only .206 from the right side. But when the pitcher you're bringing in has opposting righties hitting .478 against him, you're STILL at a disadvantage. Everyone was saying that Sturtz shoulda been brought it, the media was really giving it to Joe for that move.

I don't know what the hell we were thinking signing Stanton again anyway. He's not much better than Felix Heredia was last year. And the fact that he's there goto lefty reliever scared me since the winter.

Quantrill has just lost it totally IMO and apparently has had some injuries building up, mainly in his knee. I was so excited when we got him from the Dodgers two years ago cause I thought he would cure our bullpen problems but it wasn't meant to be.

Scott Proctor and Jason Anderson will be called up to take their places.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

Last edited by ehh; 06-30-2005 at 02:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2005, 02:39 PM   #606
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I don't know what the hell we were thinking signing Stanton again anyway. He's not much better than Felix Heredia was last year. And the fact that he's there goto lefty reliever scared me since the winter.
Yah, but looking at the stats, he's been dominant against lefties and most of his struggles have come against righties. Maybe he's just being used wrong?

EDIT - After looking at some stats I found these tidbits. Last year Heredia had a .216 BAA vs LH and .333 BAA vs RH, yet he faced 84 righties and 74 lefties. In comparison Mike Myers, who had similar BA splits faced 103 lefties and only 61 righties. The idea of a LOOGY is to only use him vs lefties because they tend to get pounded by righties. In the cases of Stanton and Heredia it seems to me like mismanagment by Torre rather than fault of the pitchers.

Last edited by Stu; 06-30-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:45 PM   #607
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
Yah, but looking at the stats, he's been dominant against lefties and most of his struggles have come against righties. Maybe he's just being used wrong?

While his numbers were definately good against LH batters, he seemed to struggle in the clutch situations. Maybe he didn't give up a hit, but he would walk the guy or give up a deep sac fly or something.

I've watched most of our games this year and I hadn't looked at Stanton's splits in a while and I was shocked to see he was doing that good against leftys. I guess he just wasn't doing it when it really mattered.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 06-30-2005, 02:47 PM   #608
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
While his numbers were definately good against LH batters, he seemed to struggle in the clutch situations. Maybe he didn't give up a hit, but he would walk the guy or give up a deep sac fly or something.

I've watched most of our games this year and I hadn't looked at Stanton's splits in a while and I was shocked to see he was doing that good against leftys. I guess he just wasn't doing it when it really mattered.
That makes more sense. I obviously don't see a lot of Yankees games and these are the types of things the stats don't show. Was it the same case with Heredia last year?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »