Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 08-17-2005, 12:09 AM   #873
Pro

APD0290's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Don't forget about Olerud. Youks will probably be optioned down to Pawtucket for Olerud. I'd really hate to see Peta go because I've been a huge supporter of his, but I'm not sure who else they can send down. Does Gonzalez have any options left on his contract? Maybe send Paps back down to AAA and let him and Dalcarmen sit there until September?
Old 08-17-2005, 12:28 AM   #874
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
Funny how you're so willing to kick the man to the curb, yet, the Red Sox do not win the World Series in 2004 without Mark Bellhorn as the starting second baseman. I thought that every single member of the 2004 Red Sox would receive deity status among Red Sox fans following a championship; obviously, people let their own psychotic misplaced hatred get in the way of appreciating one of the true unsung players from the 2004 Red Sox.

Clearly, he's not the same player in 2005 than he was in 2004. I don't support getting rid of Graffanino for Bellhorn, though I'm disappointed to possibly see him finished as a Red Sox. Again, Pokey Reese and most other 2B in 2004 do not hit that home run of Lieber in Game 6, and the game winning home run in Game 1 of the World Series off Tavarez.
Spare me the sob story. Why do we play? WE PLAY TO WIN THE GAME and Bellhorn has obviously not done that. It's a what have you done for me lately kinda' business, and he hasn't done anything. Do I appreciate his efforts for last year? Of course I do. Does that give him a free pass to play like **** and be responsibile for losses? No. You keep players that produce and get rid of the ones that don't. Stop focusing on last year and focus on this year.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:30 AM   #875
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD0290
Don't forget about Olerud. Youks will probably be optioned down to Pawtucket for Olerud. I'd really hate to see Peta go because I've been a huge supporter of his, but I'm not sure who else they can send down. Does Gonzalez have any options left on his contract? Maybe send Paps back down to AAA and let him and Dalcarmen sit there until September?
It would not make ANY sense whatsoever to have three first basmen on the team, especially with Trot on his way back. Youk can play 3rd, 1st, and even 2nd if really needed. He'll stay because he's more flexible than Petegine but he'll be back in September.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2005, 12:50 AM   #876
Pro

APD0290's Arena

OVR: 7

I'm almost positive Petagine has no options on his contract, so he would have to clear waivers before being sent down. You are right about it making no sense to have three first basemen on the roster, but it also doesn't make sense to release Petagine when you could just send down Youks for 2 weeks and call him back up in September.

Of course, this is all a moot point if Petagine does have options left on his contract.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:52 AM   #877
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD0290
I'm almost positive Petagine has no options on his contract, so he would have to clear waivers before being sent down. You are right about it making no sense to have three first basemen on the roster, but it also doesn't make sense to release Petagine when you could just send down Youks for 2 weeks and call him back up in September.

Of course, this is all a moot point if Petagine does have options left on his contract.
Well, the latest word from rotoworld.com says Youk was sent down and but he'll be back-in September. So for now, at least until Trot comes back, they're going to carry 3 1/2 first basemen (Ortiz). Since 4 arms were used tonight, Paps could be sent down again for a fresh arm. (DiNardo, I'm assuming).
Old 08-17-2005, 02:18 AM   #878
All Star

OVR: 25

Well, what would be best is if the team had Youk, Olerud, and Petagine for first and kicked Millar to the curb. Since Millar is such a strong presence in the clubhouse though, we're stuck with him at least through the remainder of this season.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:19 AM   #879
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTek33
Spare me the sob story. Why do we play? WE PLAY TO WIN THE GAME and Bellhorn has obviously not done that. It's a what have you done for me lately kinda' business, and he hasn't done anything. Do I appreciate his efforts for last year? Of course I do. Does that give him a free pass to play like **** and be responsibile for losses? No. You keep players that produce and get rid of the ones that don't. Stop focusing on last year and focus on this year.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Exactly. I am forever appreciative of his clutch hits last year, and any WS member of the team who broke the curse will be seen differently as any other player by Sox fans, but does that give him an excuse to be garbage? NO! See : New York Yankees. Bernie Williams is sucking now, and despite being a CORNERSTONE of their dynasty, they are not picking up his contract, and he isnt sucking enough as Bellhorn even. You notice other WS members form this team dont get racked on, Damon, V-Tek, Mueller, Ortiz....but hey, thats cuz they produce in the now. If the kid who complained about giving Bellhorn heat had his way, we'd see Fisk behind the plate, Boggs at 3rd, and Ted Williams head floating around in left.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:20 AM   #880
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
Well, what would be best is if the team had Youk, Olerud, and Petagine for first and kicked Millar to the curb. Since Millar is such a strong presence in the clubhouse though, we're stuck with him at least through the remainder of this season.
Yea, I've been waiting for him to be gone for a long long time now, but his clubhouse presence is undeniable and a pretty vital to our success. Hopefully Petagine still has some options, if not, easily Youk will be sent down.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »