Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-27-2005, 05:19 PM   #89
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
Here's an interesting stat and one that makes my dad pull out what little hair he still has left:

Mientkiewcz - 4 home runs
Millar - 0 home runs
True but Millar is still off to a decent start. He has a higher Avg, much higher OBP and only 2 less RBI's than Mientkiewicz. I'll still take Millar over a full season despite his inferior fielding. Mientkiewicz is just not that good of a hitter. With Millar you know you're gonna get around .280 20 HR's and 80 RBI's.

That being said I would look for the Sox to upgrade 1B in the offseason with a guy like Paul Konerko. I'm not sure who else will be on the FA market but his name jumped out at me. It also depends on how the Damon situation plays out.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:47 AM   #90
All Star

OVR: 25

I'm not sure I would take Minkey either over Millar, but my dad just happens to be someone who hates Millar. Millar's OBP is a lot higher than normal right now but his slugging is way down. He only has two extra base hits so far. He's mostly just displayed warning track power thus far this year. I've been busy and havent been able to watch a ton of Sox games so far this year but I've heard Remy say on more than one occasion "Millar just missed a homerun by a few feet," only to have the ball end up in someone's glove. I think Matsui scared him off from going deep.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:07 PM   #91
All Star

rsox's Arena

OVR: 20

The Red Sox are looking for a left-handed hitting First Baseman to platoon with Millar, they have had talks with John Olerud over the past month and Olerud is just about ready to be able to play again after off-season surgery.

The Red Sox primary need right now is to focus on their pitching staff, the bullpen has been awful and now the rotation is a mess. Yesterday's rainout may have been the best thing that could have happend for them as it allowed them to push everyone back a game. With 13 games in a row all the pressure is on the offense right now to carry this team for the next couple of weeks. John Halama will make at least 2 starts and Jeremi Gonzalez may make 2 starts before Wade Miller is ready. Hopefully by the end of that stretch Schilling will be back and healthy Miller will be able to help the staff and the Sox can get a good streak going.

Last edited by rsox; 04-28-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2005, 02:25 AM   #92
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Another loss tonight, making it 3 in a row and 5-5 in our last 10. The offense really needs to step up to carry our pitching staff through this stretch. We have an uncanny ability to make mediocre pitchers look good like we did with Chan Ho Park tonight.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:52 PM   #93
All Star

Eh, I'm not crazy about the Olerud move. He doesn't strike me as a good Fenway hitter but his glove would be better than Millar's and his bat better than McCarty's. I think first base will be a position addressed in the offseason unless Millar has a good season. He's a great clubhouse presence but his bat and glove are so inconsistent.

Sox finally won yesterday, a nice outing by Arroyo, and are currently down 2-1 to Texas in the bottom of the second. Texas has the bases loaded with two outs with Clement on the mound, who apparently doesn't have his command today. I don't have much confidence in Clement at this point as he just can't seem to settle into a groove in his starts (or from start to start). A starter has not been announced for tomorrow's game against Detroit but it likely will be Gonzalez. I know its only May 1st, but I can't help but wonder what Theo and the front office will be looking for come the trade deadline.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:43 PM   #94
All Star

rsox's Arena

OVR: 20

I think what they look for at the deadline will depend on how Wade Miller works out. If he comes back strong and does then the bullpen will be a key spot to address. However, if Miller struggles and David Wells can't get it together then they will have to try and get a starter (Roger Clemens?).

As for the Olerud move, the Red Sox are hoping that Olerud can be to this years team what Doug Mientkiewicz was last year-a defensive replacement in the late innings, a LH pinch hitter and an occasional starter at 1B. At any rate it will be at least a month before they even consider bringing Olerud to the big club.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:09 AM   #95
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

I like the Olerud move. He is a superior defensive First Baseman and it's not like we're breaking the bank signing him to a minor league deal. With Jeremi Gonzalez being called up today we were forced to DFA David McCarty. Olerud serves as insurance if he doesn't clear waivers or decides not to report to Pawtucket for any reason.

I feel bad for McCarty in this case. The guy has done everything we've asked but just can't seem to stay in the majors. In his 3 seasons with the Red Sox he's batting .286 with 5 HR's and 25 RBI's in 182 at bats. Project that over 500 at bats and he's numbers aren't too much worse than Millar's. Sadly, if he was lefthanded, he'd be a lock.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2005, 03:09 PM   #96
All Star

Gonzalez and Halama have delivered, surprisingly, but the Sox are 1-1 with them on the mound (thanks Neal). Mirabellie hit the fourth grand slam of the year by the Red Sox last night, thats a pretty high number and we're only in May.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »