Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 08-20-2005, 08:34 PM   #1041
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTek33
Or maybe Bernie is just light headed from last year.

"Damon running around 3rd and he can run all the way to New York!"
Speaking of that... idk why but when Ortiz singled... even with Bernie's atrocious arm... why didn't he even attempt a throw? I thought he had a decent shot of getting him if he put his whole life into that throw. No announcer even mentioned it... I mean what if Damon fell rounding 3rd?

Its happened to the Yankees before with the famous Jack Cust game in Baltimore. I will never forget that ending.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2005, 08:35 PM   #1042
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman11747
Speaking of that... idk why but when Ortiz singled... even with Bernie's atrocious arm... why didn't he even attempt a throw? I thought he had a decent shot of getting him if he put his whole life into that throw. No announcer even mentioned it... I mean what if Damon fell rounding 3rd?

Its happened to the Yankees before with the famous Jack Cust game in Baltimore. I will never forget that ending.
Dude, I always think about that and say the same exact thing! He didn't even try.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:38 PM   #1043
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

Quote:
Dude, I always think about that and say the same exact thing! He didn't even try.
I never understand when player's dont even make attempts on plays like that. Like game winning sac flies to deep to the outfield. Anything can happen. Guys legs can cramp up and they can go down like Nomar or then can slip and fall or they could forget to touch home or anything.

VTek did you ever see the Jack Cust game?

Old 08-20-2005, 08:40 PM   #1044
Rookie

Quote:
I never understand when player's dont even make attempts on plays like that. Like game winning sac flies to deep to the outfield. Anything can happen. Guys legs can cramp up and they can go down like Nomar or then can slip and fall or they could forget to touch home or anything.

VTek did you ever see the Jack Cust game?
Exactly, especially in a critical game like the one they were in. Atleast attempt it, because you never know. That's the same reason why you (or should) run out a groundball as hard as you can. Obviously most players don't do that, but like what Pete Rose use to do was a classic example.

Sorry, can't say that I did.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:45 PM   #1045
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

Quote:
Exactly, especially in a critical game like the one they were in. Atleast attempt it, because you never know. That's the same reason why you (or should) run out a groundball as hard as you can. Obviously most players don't do that, but like what Pete Rose use to do was a classic example.

Sorry, can't say that I did.
Agreed.

In the Cust game... Yanks were in Baltimore and it was Bot 9... 2 outs and Yanks up 1. Jack Cust was on 1st I believe and someone hit a double to center. He was going to score the tying run easily but when Bernie threw it in to the cutoff something was wrong. Cust had falllen down rounding 3rd and they had him hung up between 3rd and home. So they go through the pickle but when Posada runs him back to 3rd... no ones covering home plate! Posada doesn't realize this until Cust is already half way back to home so he's going to score eaisly with no one for A-Rod to throw to... but a foot from home... just fell down again! He tried to crawl to the plate but A-Rod just tagged him on the ground before that and the Yankees won.

It was one of the craziest finishes I've ever seen and I would think the Yankees... especially a smart player like Bernie to always make an attempt because anything can happen.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2005, 08:48 PM   #1046
Rookie

Quote:
Agreed.

In the Cust game... Yanks were in Baltimore and it was Bot 9... 2 outs and Yanks up 1. Jack Cust was on 1st I believe and someone hit a double to center. He was going to score the tying run easily but when Bernie threw it in to the cutoff something was wrong. Cust had falllen down rounding 3rd and they had him hung up between 3rd and home. So they go through the pickle but when Posada runs him back to 3rd... no ones covering home plate! Posada doesn't realize this until Cust is already half way back to home so he's going to score eaisly with no one for A-Rod to throw to... but a foot from home... just fell down again! He tried to crawl to the plate but A-Rod just tagged him on the ground before that and the Yankees won.

It was one of the craziest finishes I've ever seen and I would think the Yankees... especially a smart player like Bernie to always make an attempt because anything can happen.
Now that you went through it I do remember it vaguely, more than I did when you first mentioned it. Does sound really crazy though.

But I guess we'll never know. It would be cool for a scientist or something to do research into it and try out experiements and projections and what not.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:48 PM   #1047
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31

Wasn't it Boone that made the tag, not Arod?
What I'm Currently Listening To
Old 08-20-2005, 08:49 PM   #1048
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicoleman
Wasn't it Boone that made the tag, not Arod?
Yeah my bad.... it was in 2003 not 2004.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »