Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #1729
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

granted he might not have won this game for us today, and he might not have even posted as good numbers with us as he did with the Mets this year, but I really miss Pedro.

Lets wrap this thing up tomorrow and head on out to Chi. I'd really like it if the Angels would knock out the Yankees. I'm really sick of Red Sox/Yankees, this has really been beaten to death.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 10-01-2005, 06:27 PM   #1730
MVP

OVR: 14

Not tryin to knock you Thrasha, your one of my favorite posters here, but it sorta sounds like your afraid of a ALCS against the Yanks.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:07 PM   #1731
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCHILL
Not tryin to knock you Thrasha, your one of my favorite posters here, but it sorta sounds like your afraid of a ALCS against the Yanks.
I can see what your saying, no offense taken. But I'm honestly not afraid of another ALCS showdown.

I think I'm probably sick of seeing the Red Sox vs. Yankees because I hate the Yankees so much. Especially ARod and Giambi. I could see them under the wheels of an 18 wheeler and probably would start laughing.

But if it comes down to these two teams in the LCS again, as I think it probably will, I have the confidence that this team can defeat them, again.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2005, 07:09 PM   #1732
All Star

OVR: 25

Unfortunately, Wakefield was due for an outing like the one he had today. Oh well.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:34 PM   #1733
Rookie

OVR: 2

Anybody know what the rotation will look like against the Chi Sox's????

Old 10-02-2005, 09:28 PM   #1734
MVP

I'd love to see a splintered bat hit that prick square in the face.

god I hate Arod.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:55 PM   #1735
All Star

OVR: 25

And thus, the 2005 season for the Boston Red Sox has come to a close. And let's face it, how many of us really thought this team was going to repeat? I thought they could get past Chicago but I'm not at all surprised with the way things turned out. Matt Clement having a meltdown in game was a foregone conclusion for me, though the manner in which they lost game 2 came as a surprise. I saw them losing today's game, and that bases-loaded no-out situation where they scored 0 runs was indicative of this season's team.

The offense was not the offense we had seen all season as far back as early September. Really, once Damon was injured to the point of ineffectiveness this offense started to unravel. Ortiz and Manny were the only ones hitting in September and neither Olerud or Millar could get hot again. Also having to wait until the final weekend to clinch really hurt this team as it prevented them from aligning their rotation properly. If Schilling goes in game 1 and delivers a win maybe he sets the tone for the series.

Anyways, I'm not upset with this team and I can't help but laugh at some of the fans who burried their face in their hands and wept at the end of today's game. As a region, we have received 2 superbowl championships and 1 world series in the past 2 years, we've been spoiled. The Red Sox are in their grace period and as long as they remain to be competetive I'll be happy with them.

Now the focus moves to next year. Clearly, this team needs some work. First the front-office needs to decide if they're going to bring back Damon. With no one out there to replace him, I think they should keep him though it depends on what he'll cost. If he demands a 4 year deal I might shy away if I'm the Red Sox. He's taken a beating in his time with the team and I can't see him being an effective player in 2009. The bullpen definitly needs work, and the starting rotation needs some youth as well. I think Burnett, despite his late season collapse, will be a target for this team and if they're willing to go the distance they'll get him. The Red Sox need a power pitcher in their rotation as 4 of the 5 members in it now are breaking ball pitchers, and the fifth is a question mark going into next season (Schilling). I think Wade Miller is gone and the Red Sox might try to move Arroyo to make room for Papelbon, who should be in the rotation next year. And I bet they'll be willing to listen to offers on Matt Clement, as I have him as the odd man out at this point (if they go after Burnett). Though the trio of Schilling, Wells, and Wakefield are unlikely to make it through the regular season un-injured, so a sixth starter is necessary but I bet they'll look to Jon Lester in such a situation. Delcarman and Hanson should make the opening day roster for the Red Sox, and I expect Foulke to be the closer on opening day with Hanson assuming the role if Foulke goes down or can't fulfill his duties. And if he can do it, second base should be the position Hanley Ramirez is looking to earn come March (maybe he battles it out with Pedroia in the spring).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2005, 10:50 AM   #1736
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Well I had a whole post typed up but they closed the offseason thread. Personally it doesn't make sense to have us sort through a 200 page thread to talk about the offseason, especially when its not cluttering up a major forum, but whatever.

I'll post my thoughts at some point today.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »