Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-08-2005, 12:28 AM   #169
All Star

rsox's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
im reminded of francona all last october saying "They just love to play baseball"

doesn't look like that anymore
The price to pay for winning. Last year it was fun, chasing the Yankees, the rivalry and then winning it all. But now the expectations are greater (believe it or not!). I think they will be fine, this is a tired team on the field. They have played 14 games in a row (15 tomorrow), they have played 32 games on the road so far, in the second half they play more home games and hopefully by then they will have a healthy Curt Schilling. We know Theo will go out and make some moves later on. I don't know if they can restore the "fun" aspect of the game but putting together a lenghty winning streak would certainly help.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:47 AM   #170
All Star

rsox's Arena

Sox avoid the sweep beating the Cardinals 4-0. David Wells pitched 8 shutout innings and Edgar Renteria homered off his former team.

Day off tomorrow and then on to Wrigley.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:16 AM   #171
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsox
Sox avoid the sweep beating the Cardinals 4-0. David Wells pitched 8 shutout innings and Edgar Renteria homered off his former team.

Day off tomorrow and then on to Wrigley.
So which one is the real David Wells? The 8 inning shutout or the 3 inning batting practice? He's lowered his ERA nearly 2 runs in his last 3 starts. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come and he can keep giving us some quality starts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2005, 10:43 AM   #172
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Some notes on Red Sox 1st round pick Craig Hansen:

- WEEI said that when they realized he would still be available they went to Boras, asking what it would take, then went to John Henry, then drafted him.

- He was rated by Baseball America as the #1 MLB ready college pitcher, the #2 college fastball and the #1 college breaking ball (Slider)

It may be a long shot but I wouldn't be too surprised to see this guy on the team in September. Our bullpen needs all the help it can get. Any thoughts?
Old 06-09-2005, 11:44 AM   #173
All Star

OVR: 25

I think at this point in his career Wells is just going to be either hit or miss. If he can't command his breaking ball he's going to get pounded, if he can command it he's going to pitch a great game. Hopefully we see more of the latter.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:18 PM   #174
All Star

rsox's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
Some notes on Red Sox 1st round pick Craig Hansen:

- WEEI said that when they realized he would still be available they went to Boras, asking what it would take, then went to John Henry, then drafted him.

- He was rated by Baseball America as the #1 MLB ready college pitcher, the #2 college fastball and the #1 college breaking ball (Slider)

It may be a long shot but I wouldn't be too surprised to see this guy on the team in September. Our bullpen needs all the help it can get. Any thoughts?
Peter Gammons also said he would not be surprised to see Hansen in september, but i think it would be a long shot. If they bring hm up he probably would only pitch in a few games.

The bullpen needs help, but that's nothing new, in the past two seasons Theo has gone out and got Byung Hyun Kim, Scott Williamson, Terry Adams, Curtis Leskanic and Mike Myers so i imagine come july we will see him get another arm or two.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:22 PM   #175
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsox
Peter Gammons also said he would not be surprised to see Hansen in september, but i think it would be a long shot. If they bring hm up he probably would only pitch in a few games.

The bullpen needs help, but that's nothing new, in the past two seasons Theo has gone out and got Byung Hyun Kim, Scott Williamson, Terry Adams, Curtis Leskanic and Mike Myers so i imagine come july we will see him get another arm or two.
Yah I guess with 64 IP so far, how much could he really contribute down the stretch?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2005, 02:43 PM   #176
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
Yah I guess with 64 IP so far, how much could he really contribute down the stretch?
Plus, bringing up Cla Meredith probably made a case for patience. I think Hansen is more major league ready but they ideally want him to dominate in the minors first. BA says his slider topped out at 90 mph...take that Brad Lidge!! This kid is going to be filthy, and Jacoby seems like a gamer in CF. No errors, best speed in the draft for a college player, rated 3rd in patience at the plate, best defensive outfielder in the draft...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »