Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 10-21-2005, 12:41 PM   #1753
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

More good news...

David Wells requested a trade out of Boston and to West Coast Team X.

Does anybody else have a bad feeling about this off season? I have a bad feeling we're going to start seeing the end of the "fun loving happy goofy clubhouse" and the beginning of a "grouchy, pissed off, business like clubhouse" due to guys like Millar, Damon, and Manny not being around in 2006.
If you asked me today, October 21, whether the Red Sox management knows what they're doing, I'd tell you it's doubtful. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I just can't shake the feeling that the 2003-2005 team will be remembered as the golden era, and the future is going to be filled with "payroll flexibility" teams. After all, there is a trophy awarded to most wins per dollar spent, right?

Of course, I'm not arguing to spend $50M on Johnny Damon, but not to putz around with top talent like Ramirez when he is slightly overpaid.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:36 PM   #1754
All Star

OVR: 25

I don't mind Wells leaving. I think he's a solid starter at this point in his career but the Sox have too many starters right now so getting rid of one (especially one over 40) isn't too bad. A rotation of Schilling, Clement, Wakefield, Arroyo and Papelbon still isn't too formidable though.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:43 PM   #1755
Rookie

OVR: 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see Arroyo go, too, if the Sox sign Burnett (or trade Manny and get pitching in return, which would be stupid). But getting rid of Wells can only be a good thing if they can pull it off. Hopefully Schilling will be healthy all year, and nobody will hit Clement in the head with a batted ball this year.

Of course, all of this is moot until Theo re-signs ...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2005, 01:07 AM   #1756
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

I'm amazed at how many people think moving Wells is a good move. You pretty much know what you're getting from Wells. I can't say the same about any other pitcher in the starting rotation. Also, there's less than 1% chance in hell that a rotation of Schilling, Clement, Arroyo, Wakefield, and Papelbon make it through 162 games. There needs to be far more depth. Basically, I want to see Papelbon starting the season in the bullpen with 5 other solid options in the rotation.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:33 AM   #1757
MVP

OVR: 14

Personally, I don't see a reason why Papelbon shouldn't start. He was untouchable in his starts, we need to inject some youth into that rotation along with some gas, and he provides both. Also, between MLB and our minor leagues, he pitched about 160 innings, am I correct?
Old 10-22-2005, 03:07 AM   #1758
All Star

OVR: 25

They need to get younger at some point in the rotatation, and Papelbon has proven thats where he deserves to be.

And I disagree about the comment that Wells is the only one you know what you're going to get. You know what you're going to get out of Arroyo and Clement, its just that both got off to such good starts everyone was convinced they could be frontline starters. Both of those guys are going to give you a low 4.00 ERA and 12-15 wins if backed by a good offense. And one could argue that, for a knuckleballer, you pretty much know what you're going to get from Wakefield. Wells just has the big game aura, but he didn't get it done in game 2 and he's certainly never a sure thing. We don't know what to expect from either Schilling or Papelbon. I'd like to see the Sox gamble on Burnett, just so we have another strikeout pitcher in the rotation. Papelbon certainly could have a fantastic season next year but he could also have a mediocre one. I think one can expect a year somewhat like the one Ervin Santana had this year. Dominant in some starts, hittable in others, and just plain bad in a few. Bottomline, you don't take a guy with Papelbon's arm and only get 60-70 innings out of it a season, you go for 180-200.

And Wells was definitly going to spend time on the DL next year, making him the most likely of the aged starters to go anyways. The Red Sox do not want to enter into next season with a rotation where 3 of the 5 guys are over 40 or near 40 (Schilling will be 39, if I'm not mistaken).
Old 10-22-2005, 10:18 AM   #1759
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

I'm one of those people who think you should break in young pitchers by having them come out of the bullpen, then move their way into the rotation when there is a need.

I do not like having to rely on Papelbon as one of the starting 5, regardless of how good he looked this past year. To me, this is even more true in Boston, because the fans and stupid websites will tear him to shreds when he inevitably struggles a bit. I'd say let the kid continue to develop as a multi-inning Scot Shields type guy, where he can unquestionably help out the pen. If he threw more than 1 very, very good pitch, this might be different.

It's almost a given that one of the starters will spend time on the DL, and when that does happen, Papelbon should be given the chance to step right in. The Twins did a similar thing with Johan Santana, and while they probably misued him for too long, I like the idea in theory.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:52 AM   #1760
MVP

OVR: 14

Wells blew it in game 2? Take out a Graffinino error or sauy we score 5 runs in the whole game and thats a win. Also, remember that game against the Yankees in his prior start?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »