Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 10-22-2005, 01:04 PM   #1769
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCHILL
All right then, let's pretend Theo doesnt get re-signed, and they sign one of us this off-season. What are you doing with this team to get it back to the WS?
Giving Lucchino the boot!

Nomar's homer off Pedro. Those four words just shouldn't go together. Not even on a day like 6/6/6. ~Bill Simmons
Old 10-22-2005, 01:05 PM   #1770
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Nice Hit Tek!!!!!

In al seriousness...I know the Sox are in the top 3 of Burnett's choices, so that could be a good sign, but really the biggest thing we have to work on is getting Theo back. Obviously he will come back, but it was reported that the two sides aren't really close on a deal, but the talks have been nice(forget which reporter it was, saw them on Mohegan Sports Tonight...maybe the guy from ProJo) so that's really the firs tbig step because we need Theo to be under conctract to really start thinking about what moves to make.

Papelbon could be a very good #6 starter/bullpen guy, which means we need another pitcher. Hopefully we'll be able to sign Burnett or get a pitcher in the Wells deal who is seriveable.

Other positions: 1B, I'd love to see Youk get playing time here, mainly because besides Konerko I don't know how strong the FA's are.

2B: Cora, pedrioa and a FA platoon maybe?

3B; Hopefully Muerller will be back. Despite the knee problems, he's been a very good player for the Sox.

OF: I'd love to See Manny, Damon and Trot on opening day, but I highly doubt it. If we trade Manny, we need a better cotnract than Beltran(so we can push for Konerko) or a very good replacement. Damon I see coming back, but I hope we don't over-spend.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:09 PM   #1771
MVP

OVR: 14

I'm wasnt crazy about Burnett, I mean, do we really want another Clement? But with Wells out, I say go for it.

Olerud was great, but I might have to go for Konerko if we move Manny to leave enough space in the bank, but I'd rather simply keep Manny. Regardless, we will be a shell of the offense we were the last two years if no one is there to protect Papi.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2005, 02:07 PM   #1772
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

I expect the Sox to take a shot at a Kevin Millwood or Paul Byrd, rather than get in a bidding war for Burnett. They should take advantage of that bidding war, which could involve the Yankees, Orioles and Blue Jays, to go out and sign some other FA's. Last year their offseason was completely dependant on Varitek's contract and signing Renteria. They can't afford to wait and see how the Manny and Damon situations play out before making moves to improve the team elsewhere. Otherwise you're going to end up with some more Matt Clements and Wade Millers in FA.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:31 PM   #1773
All Star

OVR: 25

I think the Sox should go after Burnett because I think Millwood and Byrd would be busts in Boston (though if I had to pick between the two, I'd go with Byrd, which is strange considering Millwood was one of the top pitchers in the AL last year). I think they see what Burnett is going for and make an offer based on that. If he wants much more than what Clement is signed for then you let him go. And if the Sox get him they should let Arroyo and Papelbon compete for the fifth starter position in spring training. I think Arroyo is better suited for the pen than Papelbon, though.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:54 PM   #1774
Rookie

OVR: 5

I think there are a lot of teams that will overpay for Burnett, and he knows it, so I don't know if he is an option the Sox will shoot for. Supposedly Torre says the Yanks are fine with pitching so that could change the race for Burnett if the Yanks don't get in on the bidding, which I belive they will

Nomar's homer off Pedro. Those four words just shouldn't go together. Not even on a day like 6/6/6. ~Bill Simmons
Old 10-22-2005, 06:33 PM   #1775
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

I just see any Burnett deal (along with the Damon and Manny situations) being a long drawn out process which could cause the Red Sox to lose out on other key free agents.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2005, 09:10 PM   #1776
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

Combine the major positions we need to fill with GM included, the low level of talent on the market, and the low trade value of our tradeable players (Arroyo, Nixon, and Manny), I'm not really looking forward to the offseason. Even though Manny could get a good return, his contract and his relationship with management does not make for a good trade.

Does anyone else get that ugly feeling that we're going to fill this roster with less than desired talent to bridge the gap until all our major prospects are ready?? I could easily see the next 2 years being pretty different to get to Hanley, Lester, Sanchez and the rest of the gang to join Pedroia and Papelbon.

Cwood's action plan:
Here's what I want to see to get rid of this ominous feeling. Trade for Brad Wilkerson and let Damon get his big money elsewhere. I want him as our CF, and when Ellsbury is ready in a few years, he can play a gold glove first. Plus he's very expendable with all the OFs in Washington and his OBP makes for a perfect 1 or 2 hitter. See what the asking price is for Troy Glaus, there just aren't enough power hitters on the corners anymore and he could hit bombs in Fenway. Arizona would love to unload a contract like that. Next, look at some young first basemen. Adrian Gonzalez, Ryan Howard, maybe even one of Florida's bats in Willingham or Stokes...these guys should be available for a prospect like Shoppach and another good prospect outside of our core untouchables (probably more for Howard). As for the bullpen, get Timlin back, tell BJ Ryan the Yankees called out his mother, and see how Foulke feels about the 7th and 8th inning. As for another starter, I'd rather invest in a Glaus or Konerko than AJB...if we could find this years Jorge Sosa (traded to the Braves for Nick Green!!), I wouldn't mind the gamble since things will depend on Schilling more than we want anyway. AJB could be this years Pavano. I know it doesn't make us invincible for 2006, but we didn't come this far with the farm system to panic because of some big holes on the roster. Lastly, realize trading Manny does NOT mean financial flexibility. If management can't live with him and Manny feels the same, than maybe we have no choice. But very few people produce like Man-Ram, and Ortiz needs protection. Unless we get 2 fantastic prospects and acquire Glaus or sign Konerko with the money saved, just say no to unloading Manny. Of course, the prereq is signing Theo. There are some options out there for the 2006 team, but we may have to look harder to avoid making mistakes with contracts and finding those undervalued players like a Catalanotto or a Freel if things fall through. Just figured I'd play GM since we currently don't have one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »