Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 10-22-2005, 11:20 PM   #1777
All Star

OVR: 25
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Am I the only one who thinks no team other than the White Sox have a shot at Konerko? Unless someone offers him a ludicrous deal, I think he's back in Chicago next year.

I don't think the Yankees will be interested in Burnett, but they'll feign interest if the Red Sox pursue him just to drive up his price. The only way the Sox get him is if he wants to be on the Red Sox. I doubt the Sox would want to give him much more than 8 million a year.

I would think a guy like Ryan Howard would be untouchable, as are most young first basemen unless the Sox want to give up a top prospect. The tough thing about letting Damon go is who do we replace him with? Not so much in the field, but at the top of the order. Renteria wouldn't make for a good lead-off man and I'm not sure if we could expect it of Pedroia. Idealy, the only new position player for the Sox next year would be Pedroia with their everday lineup looking this:

Damon
Renteria
Ortiz
Ramirez
Nixon
Varitek
Youkilis
Mueller
Pedroia

If they can find a power bat to stick in their in place of someone else then I think they do it, though I don't really see the Red Sox being interested in Glaus.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:13 AM   #1778
Rookie

OVR: 1

I don't really think Konerko's leaving Chicago, no, and if he does, his stated preference is to go west. I don't know that anyone outside of L.A.--Angels or Dodgers--would shell out what he wants. So I think he ends up in Chicago, but if somebody wants to throw a lot of money at him, who knows?

The Sox aren't bringing in a young 1B without giving away too much, and I don't really see that Shoppach brings a whole lot in a trade. He didn't impress anyone with the few ABs he had at the major league level last year. We'll likely be left watching another team with no corner infield power, which is why trading Manny shouldn't happen.

I'll be interested to see what, if anything, they can get in a trade for Wells, but it wouldn't surprise me if that falls through as well and they're left with a slightly older version of this year's team ... for the most part. The one major overhaul we'll absolutely see will be the bullpen; I think we'll see Delcarmen, Hansen, and probably other prospects (DiNardo? Lester?) getting a lot of innings out there this year. Might grab a veteran arm or two to be situational guys (a la Mike Myers), but I think they'll put a lot of the bullpen duty in the hands of the youngsters. Depending on what happens with Damon, we might need a CF, but I gotta agree with CWood--this next year is looking like a "let's see what we can throw together until the prospects are ready" kind of year. Of course, you just know they'll pull off something completely unexpected to fill one of those major roster holes--after all, who saw Schilling coming to Boston 2 years ago?
Old 10-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #1779
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Well with 5 days to go before Theo's contract expires he rejected a $1.2 mil offer from the Red Sox. This makes it clear that the chief issue in these negotiations is who Theo is reporting to.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...ffer_from_sox/
Old 10-26-2005, 12:02 PM   #1780
Rookie

Ugh ... this is not good. I wonder if Henry's going to step in and help get something done, or just let Lucchino completely screw this up ...
Old 10-26-2005, 12:21 PM   #1781
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by geigerm
Ugh ... this is not good. I wonder if Henry's going to step in and help get something done, or just let Lucchino completely screw this up ...
I always thought Lucchino's act was simply classic good cop/bad cop, but he might just be a complete jackass. I understand he is CEO, but why can't he just let their baseball people handle the baseball decisions. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2005, 01:08 PM   #1782
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
I always thought Lucchino's act was simply classic good cop/bad cop, but he might just be a complete jackass. I understand he is CEO, but why can't he just let their baseball people handle the baseball decisions. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail.
I tend to lean toward the "jackass" side of things, but I'm not completely sure. I know that when this ownership group took over, there was a lot of talk about how respected Lucchino was throughout baseball for his previous work in San Diego (I think). So he might actually know what he's doing, but failing to give up some control and causing Theo to leave would be a massively stupid mistake.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:43 PM   #1783
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

I met the guy at a small business breakfast and he's very, very intelligent. He understands the core of a great baseball park experience and can really drive revenue by making things fan friendly. He even brought memorabilia for the Q&A session which was pretty cool. BUT... his success in that area should not translate into influence with player and personnel decisions. Sure he's had success in what he does, but much like his counterparts, they're all about the fans because we sell out the park every home game and actually pay money to join a made up Nation....please tell me none of my OS counterparts have that stupid card in their wallet!!

Anyway, once you've heard a guy's negotiating skills have driven people away time and time again, I think it's probably more true than false only because his reputation proceeds him. If we don't solve his role problem, it might not matter if we get Theo back if Larry and Co. try to handcuff their GM by pulling rank. Revamping the farm system from laughable status was more important than putting ads on the monster...
Old 10-26-2005, 06:46 PM   #1784
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Theo better come back.

He turned down an offer today...blah.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »