Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 12-16-2005, 02:03 PM   #1809
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Just heard rumors on EEI about a trade for Coco Crisp...the price would be Marte and Mota. Are they freakin' crazy??!! Our bullpen is not that deep, and how many teams can say they have a corner infielder of the future like Marte?

This coming after Damon is reportedly unsure about how he feels about the front office turnover and how it affects his resigning with the Sox. Oh boy...
Old 12-16-2005, 02:04 PM   #1810
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

Another thought...

we lose Renteria, 11 mil, Damon, Marte and Mota...and we get a man named Coco to play center. I'm assuming this rumor is a Damon backup plan, but it's pretty scary to me.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:14 PM   #1811
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

I hope that's just a rumor. Sounds like a terrible deal for the Red Sox.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2005, 02:23 PM   #1812
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
I hope that's just a rumor. Sounds like a terrible deal for the Red Sox.
Especially if Reed for Arroyo/Clement is still on the table. Maybe they're just drumming up rumors to act like they have a plan if Johnny's hesitance has some validity to it...
Old 12-16-2005, 02:54 PM   #1813
All Star

OVR: 25

Interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about this one. On one hand, Damon is one of my favorite players on the Red Sox and he's a great lead-off man. However, will I feel the same way in 2009 or 2010, which is how long he'll be here (theretically). Coco Crisp on the other hand, is a very good, young player. He's 26 and if you go buy OPS he was actually a slightly better player than Damon last year. And he's not looking like a one year wonder as he was comparably good in 2004. I don't really like the idea of giving up both Marte and Mota to get him though, unless the Red Sox think they have the Mota of 2005 instead of the 2004 version. We'll have to see how this shakes out. If Crisp is merely a contingency plan in case Damon walks, then he's a pretty good one, at any rate. Reed sucks, I don't want the Sox to get him.

And on another note, Roger Clemens has said he will only consider pitching for these four teams: Astros, Rangers, Yankees, and Red Sox. A decision likely won't come for another month though and it's quite possible he will only be willing to pitch for half a season. That makes it pretty hard for these clubs to plan their rotation for the season. I guess you just go into the season with your 5, and whoever id doing the the worst gets demoted to the bullpen to make room for the Rocket. I still think it sounds too much like a fairy tale to have Roger finish his career in Boston, but I'll continue to hope.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:49 PM   #1814
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

Since they have Grady Sizemore, I'd hope we could get a guy like Coco Crisp for a little less...as in NOT Marte and anyone. Plus, with all the young guns that team has, I'd hate to give them another top prospect to go with that future nucleus. But looking at Crisp's numbers last year, you could make a decent argument that you wouldn't lose much if Damon walks.

Damon: .316/.366/.439 with 10 HRs and 70 RBIs, 18 SBs
Crisp: .300/.345/.465 with 16 HRs and 69 RBIs, 15 SBs

Those are real close guys! Even if Damon has the edge, Coco has the potential to go up or atleast keep this going...Johnny will get worse, and become more of a liability in center. How can we get this guy without giving up Andy Marte, because I'm real interested, and I've never been adament about bringing Damon back...
Old 12-17-2005, 03:36 AM   #1815
All Star

OVR: 25

I personally do not have a good feeling about Marte, for whatever reason, though if they can hang onto him I would like to see them do so. I'm not really sure who else in the farm system would entice the Indians other than one of their pitchers, and there's no way the Sox will part with Lester, Papelbon, or Pedroia. Maybe Youkilis instead? I don't know, but Crisp is entertaining, nonetheless. You basically get a slightly worse OBP with him but a little more pop. Crisp obviously has the higher ceiling though and Damon is likely to stay the same or go down a level. I'm more concerned about Damon 3 or 4 years from now than I am with him in 2006. I also do not know how good of a baserunner Crisp is nor do I know if he's a plus fielder. All things to consider...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2005, 12:51 PM   #1816
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

Crisp would be an excellent addition if they do not re-sign Damon. In fact, he may even be an upgrade. He's another player who was on my roto team last year (I came in 2nd place out of 15 teams, so I had a ton of good, underrated players). He has pretty solid speed, though I imagine he'd never steal with the Sox. I have no clue about his defense, though I know he played many games in CF before being overtaken by an even better player in Grady Sizemore. That doesn't mean he's not a good CF at all..

I'm a little worried about him as a leadoff hitter, however. Of course, the pricetag for Crisp would certainly be Arroyo, plus possibly somebody else.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »