Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2005, 06:49 PM   #209
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasha
Off trade topic:

It's nice seeing John Valentin on the NESN Pregame Report
Damn, I missed him. What's with Gary DiSarcina being on there? He never even played for the Sox.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:51 PM   #210
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
Those are my projections also. The minor league transformation is without question what impresses me most, especially in the timespan. This year's draft was phenominal according to anyone in the know, so there's no reason to believe we didn't step leaps and bounds ahead with all those extra picks.
I can't do anything but agree with you. It's amazing to see the Sox actually have prospects, as well as a big budget. Hansen could be in the bigs by September and I expect Hanley and Ellsbury to be playing in 4 years at the most(once Edgar's contract runs out...Ellsbury at CF, Hanley and SS)
Old 06-20-2005, 07:12 PM   #211
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn6
I can't do anything but agree with you. It's amazing to see the Sox actually have prospects, as well as a big budget. Hansen could be in the bigs by September and I expect Hanley and Ellsbury to be playing in 4 years at the most(once Edgar's contract runs out...Ellsbury at CF, Hanley and SS)
And what a combination those two will be in a few years at two of the most important positions! I just watched Ellsbury today in the CWS and the kid is one amazing ballplayer. Hansen already has Brad Lidge-like stuff, the slider tops at 90 mph! After I researched the two on draft day I was dancing in my room when you combine them with a great second sacker in Pedroia, a potential ace in Papelbon, and a stud like Hanley. I posted it elsewhere but Jacoby Ellsbury is very similar to Damon in projectability...I'd be shocked if we gave Johnny his 10 million to regain his services unless something big changes.

One trade we've yet to address that I feel is imminent...an upgrade at first. I feel very strongly that Kevin Millar could get traded before the deadline. Anyone heard anything on this? I know Theo is looking for arms for the pen, but I'm sure he's keeping an eye out for his future first baseman too if it presents itself. Not an urgent issue, but I'd be curious to see what Theo offers for a top prospect at 1B (someone blocked like Adrian Gonzalez in Texas or Ryan Howard in Philly) or a guy like Sean Casey or Paul Konerko if they're available.

(I like playing GM this time of year, my apologies )
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2005, 07:58 PM   #212
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

LOL at Orsillio. He was in mid-sentence talking about how Manny hasn't hit lefties well this year and Manny jacks a 3-run shot off Sabathia.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:03 PM   #213
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

I disagree on us not keeping Damon. We have some good prospects but they can't come close to replacing what Damon brings. He's the second best leadoff hitter behind Ichiro in the AL, if not in baseball. I would have no problem with the Sox giving him 40 mil over 4 years. However, early indications are that Boras wants 72 over 6, which is just insane. I don't think he will be in Boston next year, and I don't think we will do well without him.

I'm not sure about Millar. He's heating up so its tough to get rid of him right now, especially since Olerud is clearly not an everyday player. I think they'd love to get a young 1B like Adrian Gonzalez which could work because, from what I understand, Texas needs a catcher, making Shoppach a perfect fit.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:17 PM   #214
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
I disagree on us not keeping Damon. We have some good prospects but they can't come close to replacing what Damon brings. He's the second best leadoff hitter behind Ichiro in the AL, if not in baseball. I would have no problem with the Sox giving him 40 mil over 4 years. However, early indications are that Boras wants 72 over 6, which is just insane. I don't think he will be in Boston next year, and I don't think we will do well without him.

I'm not sure about Millar. He's heating up so its tough to get rid of him right now, especially since Olerud is clearly not an everyday player. I think they'd love to get a young 1B like Adrian Gonzalez which could work because, from what I understand, Texas needs a catcher, making Shoppach a perfect fit.
That'd be interesting, especially since Shoppach is expendable with Tek in town for 4 more.

You're probably right about Damon too, I just feel more comfortable moving on with him if we have to since Boras usually gets his way and we have options down the road. We did draft his client in Craig Hansen though, but a lead off hitter of Damon's caliber is obviously more than enough leverage for a guy like Scott Boras.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:26 PM   #215
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
That'd be interesting, especially since Shoppach is expendable with Tek in town for 4 more.
Exactly. I really don't expect Shoppach to be here after July 31, especially the way he's hitting this year. On many other teams he'd be in the majors right now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2005, 08:38 PM   #216
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Wow, we absolutely smoked Sabathia tonight. 9 runs in 5 innings, capped off by Tek's 3 run HR. He is just crushing the ball right handed this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »