Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-20-2005, 09:54 PM   #217
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

I was hoping to see a better outing from Wells, it's still been a mixed bag on what you're going to get from him from start to start.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 06-20-2005, 10:07 PM   #218
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasha
I was hoping to see a better outing from Wells, it's still been a mixed bag on what you're going to get from him from start to start.
I don't understand why Wells has been so inconsistent this year. He was pretty good in San iego last year but its not like hes trying to make a transition fron NL to AL. He's been an AL pitcher for the majority of his career.

He needs to turn it around because I don't think their staff will hold up all year without him.. especially if Schilling doesn't return to prime form which many think he won't after an ankle injury like this.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:27 PM   #219
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman11747
I don't understand why Wells has been so inconsistent this year. He was pretty good in San iego last year but its not like hes trying to make a transition fron NL to AL. He's been an AL pitcher for the majority of his career.

He needs to turn it around because I don't think their staff will hold up all year without him.. especially if Schilling doesn't return to prime form which many think he won't after an ankle injury like this.
In fairness to Wells, his previous 2 starts were 15 shutout innings in which he allowed only 5 hits. He has been a part of 4 shutouts so far this year. Tonight wasn't a good outing, but I'll take 4 runs on his "off days" if he's throwing shutouts in between.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:33 PM   #220
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

Pulleeeease let this game be over.

This bullpen gives me chest pains.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:37 PM   #221
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Wow. The bullpen tried to give that one away. Foulke had no command of his changeup and they were crushing his fastball. Thank god for Damon's solo shot in the top of the 9th.

This was a big win tonight with both Baltimore and the Yankees losing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2005, 02:48 AM   #222
All Star

rsox's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
One trade we've yet to address that I feel is imminent...an upgrade at first. I feel very strongly that Kevin Millar could get traded before the deadline. Anyone heard anything on this? I know Theo is looking for arms for the pen, but I'm sure he's keeping an eye out for his future first baseman too if it presents itself. Not an urgent issue, but I'd be curious to see what Theo offers for a top prospect at 1B (someone blocked like Adrian Gonzalez in Texas or Ryan Howard in Philly) or a guy like Sean Casey or Paul Konerko if they're available.

(I like playing GM this time of year, my apologies )
The Chicago White Sox are the best team in baseball, so Paul Konerko will not be available. I think the Rangers will hold on to Gonzalez, they talked about trading Mark Texieira last winter and may entertain the idea again this winter (he is a free agent after next season and is represented by Scott Boras).
Sean Casey is an interesting possibility, Peter Gammons mentioned some weeks ago about the idea of Casey going to Boston, it makes the most sense that Casey would be traded--the Reds are going to unload players and would probably like to hold on to Adam Dunn and Wily Mo Pena. Austin Kearns' trade value may not be very high right now and it will be difficult for the Reds to move Ken Griffey Jr.'s contract.

Millar has probably bought some time with the Red Sox, since his horrible start Millar is hitting .429 in the month of june, so that takes pressure off finding another First Baseman because as has been mentioned several times Theo's top priorty needs to be the bullpen.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:04 AM   #223
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Damon must've been on OS and read us talking about his future with the Sox. LINK

He basically said that he'd consider taking less years, but it might mean more money. The question is, what does "more money" mean? At this point I think the best the Sox can do is 3/36 or 4/42-44. I really don't see them giving him a 5th year under any circumstances. Hopefully Damon will agree to something like that, but I kind of doubt it. Whether or not he's interested in going to NY, he will still use them to drive up his price, which they'll be more than happy to do.

The bottom line for the Red Sox is, we won't win next year or maybe the year after, without Damon. No player or combination of players can replace what he does for us in the leadoff role.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #224
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Wow, just heard on WEEI that the Red Sox promoted Dustin Pedroia to Pawtucket. Right now he's hitting .324, 8 HR's 40 RBI's with a .917 OPS for Portland. Seems like there isn't much left for him to prove in AA. I wonder if the plan is to see how he does against AAAA players in hopes of a Sept. callup to possibly replace Vazquez. Any thoughts?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »