Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-23-2005, 02:54 PM   #241
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
Moneyball isn't really about college vs high school, but more about finding what is undervalued and stocking up on it. When it was written, college players were undervalued but that isn't the case now. With so many other teams going after College players, it made more sense to go with a "best available" approach.
Yeah I think teams are realizing that unless you're presented with a Justin Upton like player, it's easier to project a more advanced college hitter than it is a player from highschool. As far as pitchers, your pitches, your command and your mechanics can already make a pretty good case for who you can become. Good way of thinking about it though; as more teams come around and delve into the college players, it leaves high school players of less risk to the "moneyballers." I was still kind of surprised by the A's draft this year though based on their last few.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2005, 03:02 PM   #242
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
Yeah I think teams are realizing that unless you're presented with a Justin Upton like player, it's easier to project a more advanced college hitter than it is a player from highschool. As far as pitchers, your pitches, your command and your mechanics can already make a pretty good case for who you can become. Good way of thinking about it though; as more teams come around and delve into the college players, it leaves high school players of less risk to the "moneyballers." I was still kind of surprised by the A's draft this year though based on their last few.
Another aspect of the HS vs College argument is money. You end up having to pay HS players more money before they reach the majors in comparison to college players. Guys like Dustin Pedroia and Craig Hansen are a perfect example. Sure, you're paying them more money to start but both could be in MLB within 2 years of being drafted. Compare that to somebody like Hanley Ramirez who has been in the Sox system for almost 5 years. Other teams have started to adopt this, which I think, forced teams like the Red Sox and A's to change their approach.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:17 PM   #243
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
Another aspect of the HS vs College argument is money. You end up having to pay HS players more money before they reach the majors in comparison to college players. Guys like Dustin Pedroia and Craig Hansen are a perfect example. Sure, you're paying them more money to start but both could be in MLB within 2 years of being drafted. Compare that to somebody like Hanley Ramirez who has been in the Sox system for almost 5 years. Other teams have started to adopt this, which I think, forced teams like the Red Sox and A's to change their approach.
Well, the Red Sox signed Hanley Ramirez as a 16 year old out of the Domincan for about 30,000, he wasn't a big bonus guy like Luis Soto is currently. It's been a pretty good deal so far.

The other side of paying high school players more money is the theory that if they get up there at 21, when they are 24 they will really start to come into their own, and stay at that level for longer than a college player who came up at age 23 would. Or at least thats the theory.

One guy who I think you are missing when it comes to good prospects is Mikey Hall, a HSer we drafted a couple years agp. He put up good numbers last year as a 19 year old in mid-A after a slow start, and after another slow start, he really came around again this year until he broke a finger I believe and has been out for almost a month. He shows the best power in the system, walks a lot, but strikes out a lot also. Once he comes back from his injury, we'll see how he does, but I have high hopes for him.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:49 PM   #244
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffysCliff
Well, the Red Sox signed Hanley Ramirez as a 16 year old out of the Domincan for about 30,000, he wasn't a big bonus guy like Luis Soto is currently. It's been a pretty good deal so far.
Yah, Hanley was a bad example. I couldn't really think of any of our top prospects that were HS'ers.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:51 PM   #245
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Anyone else watch the Pawsox on NESN tonight? Great game for the offense. It's 12-2 in the 8th. Pedroia has 2 hits and a walk. Shoppach had a double, HR and 5 RBI's.

Joey Gathwright(sp) for Durham is as fast a player as i've seen, but man does he stink in the field. He misplayed 2 balls in the outfield that were just pathetic. BJ Upton wasn't very impressive either, keeping an inning alive when he couldn't get an easy DP ball out of his glove.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2005, 01:46 AM   #246
The World's Smartest Man

TheGenius's Arena

OVR: 10

I would just like to point out, in my first post in this thread, that with the Baltimore loss to Toronto tonight, the Sox are now .5 games back in the AL East.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:45 AM   #247
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ
I would just like to point out, in my first post in this thread, that with the Baltimore loss to Toronto tonight, the Sox are now .5 games back in the AL East.
Good first post
Old 06-24-2005, 10:25 PM   #248
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Another great win for the Red Sox tonight. A pair of 3-run HR's by Mirabelli and Manny for the 8-0 win. Wakefield was dominant with the 8 inning, 2 hit shutout.

In the 3 games since Mirabelli came off the DL Wake is 2-0, and allowed only 1 run and 13 hits in 22 innings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »