Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-25-2005, 11:29 PM   #257
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

One really can't add anything worthwhile to Red Sox discussion lately because there's nothing to kvetch about. You can only add so many "Wow they're damn good"'s without sounding redundant.
Everything is going superb with this team right now. If this hot streak can carry into the All-Star break, that'd be tremendous.

Hopefully, when this streak of hot starting pitching comes to an end, people don't start complaining about how this team isn't good enough like we saw a couple weeks ago. I think it is now clear that this ballclub will put up a strong title defense.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:14 AM   #258
All Star

rsox's Arena

OVR: 20

Here's something to add...Cuurt Schilling is expected to rejoin the Sox sunday july 10th!.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:18 AM   #259
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsox
Here's something to add...Cuurt Schilling is expected to rejoin the Sox sunday july 10th!.
A healthy Curt Schilling is the best mid-season acquisition we could make. His arm should be nice and fresh going into the 2nd half. Hopefully the ankle holds up.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:40 AM   #260
Rookie

OVR: 4

When Schill comes back, it's already stated by many that Arroyo is going to the pen, does anyone think that the sox should go for a 6 man rotation?
Old 06-26-2005, 10:34 AM   #261
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_sports_rule
When Schill comes back, it's already stated by many that Arroyo is going to the pen, does anyone think that the sox should go for a 6 man rotation?
I don't think they should use a 6-man rotation. Pitchers are creatures of habit so it's better to have them throw on their normal rest. Moving Arroyo to the bullpen also solves one of our biggest needs. It provides us with another reliable setup man if Mantei can't get his control problems solved. Timlin isn't getting any younger, so having Arroyo to take some of his innings away would help keep him fresh.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2005, 11:40 AM   #262
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

I'm upset Schilling is coming back the 10th...I'm going to game in Baltimore on the 9th

As far as a 6-man rotation, it would be better suited to put another guy in the bullpen because that is where most of our problems have come from. I think it should be Wake in the pen, because bringing in a knuckleballer to get 6 outs is better, in my mind, than having a knuckleballer try to get 7 innings, because hitters, after seeing normla pitches, would be more off balance if a knuckleballer came in for relief. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:16 PM   #263
Rookie

OVR: 4

I agree that Wake should go to the pen but i think that the sox will still need to go get another rp.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:23 PM   #264
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

Does anybody want to see Wakefield being run out there with RISP? I don't. The effect of having even 1 wild pitch/passed ball in a bullpen role is seen much more than in a starting role. Also, I imagine that teams will be pinch running and sending runners as soon as he enters the game, and putting critical runs in scoring position merely based on his presence. He would really need to be striking out most batters in a bullpen role to really be successful.

Given the choice between Arroyo and Wakefield going to the pen, I choose Arroyo everytime, because he seems to be better suited to fit the role (especially as a ROOGY in certain situations). Of course, this is under the assumption that one is not truly better than the other as a starter (You can argue this one for days). The only downside to putting Arroyo in the bullpen is that you are potentially stunting his development as a starter.

And let's not bring up putting Miller in the bullpen; I don't think his arm can handle being called upon multiple days in a row.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »