Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-27-2005, 09:59 AM   #289
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
The only thing I question is his constant attempts to unload Manny. I don't care how much he makes, we're a completely different team without him hitting behind Ortiz!
If Theo managed to move Manny Ramirez before the end of July, we should erect a statue of him outside of Fenway Park immediately. I'm not kidding. Manny receives his 10/5 rights at the conclusion of this season, aka - no trade provision in his contract. If Theo does not move Manny by the end of this month, we're essentially stuck with him for approximately $18-21M/year for the next 3 years (at least). Think about the kind of players they could acquire with that saved money.

Of course, nobody seems to be willing to take on that contract. I don't think even Sabean is that dumb. The Yankees and every other team had the chance to have Manny for JUST the waiver wire fee at the end of 2003. They chose not to.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:10 AM   #290
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
If Theo managed to move Manny Ramirez before the end of July, we should erect a statue of him outside of Fenway Park immediately. I'm not kidding. Manny receives his 10/5 rights at the conclusion of this season, aka - no trade provision in his contract. If Theo does not move Manny by the end of this month, we're essentially stuck with him for approximately $18-21M/year for the next 3 years (at least). Think about the kind of players they could acquire with that saved money.

Of course, nobody seems to be willing to take on that contract. I don't think even Sabean is that dumb. The Yankees and every other team had the chance to have Manny for JUST the waiver wire fee at the end of 2003. They chose not to.
Manny is owed $19 mil next year, $18 mil in 2007 and $20 mil in 2008. The team has $20 mil options for 2009 and 2010, which they obviously won't pick up.

I'm not sold that dealing Manny would be a good thing. I'm not sure what combination of players you could sign for that money that gives you the consistent production that Manny does. You'd probably be able to get 1 front line starter and 1 mediocre slugger. $20 mil just doesnt go as far as it used to. I just don't think there are any better options out there. Obviously if you could move him and there was a chance of signing somebody like Vlad, you'd do it, but there are very few players in MLB that can replace Manny's bat.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:25 AM   #291
All Star

OVR: 25

Manny has a bad contract for the team, but he does produce. They just need to bite the bullet and accept the fact that he is signed to this ludicrous deal and they have to see it through. It makes no sense to trade him and have to pay the club who takes him half of his contract (because you know no one would take on that entire contract, even if Manny was hitting .370 right now with 30 homeruns). There aren't many right-handed bats out there as good as Manny's right now, so they might as well just stick with him and hope his production does not drop significantly over the next 3 years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2005, 10:28 AM   #292
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

There are some new rumors circulating about Hanley Ramirez and how some people inside the orginization, there haven't been any direct sources(names) given, but some people don't see Hanley ever being a Red Sox player. He won't be traded this season(i'm assuming) but next season if Damon resigns I wouldn't be surprised to see him move, because we have Pedroia to play second now. I wouldn't think it's out of the picture to, while Theo has denied it, see Kelly/Hanley/Miller or Arroyo for Schmidt offer sometime before the deadline. I don't see how trading Papelbon would benefit our club, as he's projected to be a front-line starter by our own orginization, and with him, Lester Sanchez in our rotation, if they all pan out, in 2-3 years it'd be a rather good rotation, not to mention Alvarez as a lefty if we keep him that long.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:39 AM   #293
All Star

OVR: 25

I don't know about that. Ramirez has the tools to play almost anywhere on the diamond and I doubt Damon resigns anyways (especially if he insists on getting a 4 or 5 year deal). If they are thinking of moving Ramirez, I would think they would want something better than a 32 year old pitcher with elbow problems.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:40 AM   #294
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn6
There are some new rumors circulating about Hanley Ramirez and how some people inside the orginization, there haven't been any direct sources(names) given, but some people don't see Hanley ever being a Red Sox player. He won't be traded this season(i'm assuming) but next season if Damon resigns I wouldn't be surprised to see him move, because we have Pedroia to play second now. I wouldn't think it's out of the picture to, while Theo has denied it, see Kelly/Hanley/Miller or Arroyo for Schmidt offer sometime before the deadline. I don't see how trading Papelbon would benefit our club, as he's projected to be a front-line starter by our own orginization, and with him, Lester Sanchez in our rotation, if they all pan out, in 2-3 years it'd be a rather good rotation, not to mention Alvarez as a lefty if we keep him that long.
I've heard similar rumors about Hanley, but I wouldn't put much stock in them. Hanley has been our top prospect for so long, I think people are starting to wonder why he isn't in the majors yet, when in reality he's only 21 years old. In comparison, Nomar didn't play his first full season until he was 23. The way Gammons and others were raving about Hanley in spring training, I still think he has a good shot to be a star for the Red Sox.

I'm not as optimistic on Papelbon as you are. I think he's a good prospect, but I'm not sure if he's a front-line starter. I see him as having more of an Arroyo type ceiling. We have some decent pitching prospects but I don't think any of them are projected to be front-line.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:54 AM   #295
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Some comments from Gammons column:

Quote:
There is a lot of anticipation in Boston for second base prospect Dustin Pedroia, but Sox officials say that because Pedroia doesn't have to be protected on the 40-man roster, if something happened to Edgar Renteria, they would likely bring up shortstop prospect Hanley Ramirez.
This makes sense to me. No reason to put Pedroia on the 40-man until you have to.

Quote:
Colorado is one of the teams that has tried to get catcher Kelly Shoppach from the Red Sox. Boston didn't seem interested in first baseman Ryan Sheely (whom they tried to get for Byung-Hyun Kim) or Joe Kennedy, but that bears watching.
Interesting. At least this shows there is some interest in Kelly Shoppach.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2005, 11:12 AM   #296
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
I've heard similar rumors about Hanley, but I wouldn't put much stock in them. Hanley has been our top prospect for so long, I think people are starting to wonder why he isn't in the majors yet, when in reality he's only 21 years old. In comparison, Nomar didn't play his first full season until he was 23. The way Gammons and others were raving about Hanley in spring training, I still think he has a good shot to be a star for the Red Sox.

I'm not as optimistic on Papelbon as you are. I think he's a good prospect, but I'm not sure if he's a front-line starter. I see him as having more of an Arroyo type ceiling. We have some decent pitching prospects but I don't think any of them are projected to be front-line.

Soxprospects.com has Papelbon as "projects as a front-line starter" and I agree, but I don't mean Ace. I mean a good #2 or an amazing #3. I see a more of a mix between Schilling(the power-pitcher, big guy build) and Arroyo(the start off in the bullpen and break-out when you're given a chance) but I think that he'll be a good work-horse sometime in his career.

I also agree with not putting too much into Hanley being traded(especially after reading your Gammons quote) but I'm sure if someone was offering something good enough he could be traded for easier than Dustin or one of the pitchers.

Damon's situation really intruiges me, because I'd love to sing him for a 4 year deal, because I think that'd give Ellsbury enough time to become a MLB starter.

The catcher situation really intruiges me as well, because if there are teams asking about Soppach I'm excited. Mirabelli is probably the best back-up/situational catcher, and Tek is probably one of the top 3 catchers in the league(if I'm not mistaken he leads pretty much every offensive category and is probably one of the best defensive catchers in the league/best game-caller in the league) and I feel perfectly fine having those two for the next 3 years, because Doug seems perfectly fine in his role.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »